PDA

View Full Version : Another Oz icon in trouble

Big Shed
14th February 2009, 09:25 AM
It appears that Wattyl is heading for trouble after announcing another profit downgrade (http://business.theage.com.au/business/wattyl-in-second-profit-downgrade-20090213-876p.html).

One of the factors they attribute this to is the entry of Nippon Paints (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=87296&highlight=nippon+paint) in to the Australian markets, via an exclusive deal with Bunnings.

So next time you paint your house think about saving an Australian job and buy Australian made and owned Wattyl, Pascol or Solver.

Lignin
14th February 2009, 09:40 AM
I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Nippon Paint colours are a couple of shades different from all the other paint brands, so are not able to be used for "patching"
Anybody else see that, or am I mistaken??:((:((
Anyhow, BUY AUSTRALIAN and keep the jobs here!!!!:U:U:U

I_wanna_Shed
14th February 2009, 10:13 AM
I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Nippon Paint colours are a couple of shades different from all the other paint brands, so are not able to be used for "patching"
Anybody else see that, or am I mistaken??:((:((
Anyhow, BUY AUSTRALIAN and keep the jobs here!!!!:U:U:U

I do know that when Nippon was first placed on the shelves at Bunnings, people were returning the tins of paint.... due to the sample colour charts not matching the correct tints! :doh:

STAR
14th February 2009, 10:53 AM
I bought some of the 15 year guarantee Nippon Exterior paint. I hve over 600 meters of 4x2 rails to paint on my rural fencing.

I do not want to do it again any time soon was was prepared to pay a premium for a fence paint.

It covered very well, in fact much better then the premium Dulux that I put on about 4 years ago. I cannot it see it lasting the 15 years ( Might be following the GMC Business model guarantee. )

However, unbeknown to me, my son in law and his father put some on a new door and after a week still had not dried. Thankfully, I did not recommend it to them, so i have some doubts about the consistency of the product.

Anything Bunnings pushes, is suspect to me now, so i am prepared to look elsewhere for alternatives. But it is getting harder to find products that live up to the hype.

Lumber Bunker
14th February 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, i saw this in the paper this morning too. (herald) Not Happy Jan... makes me want to go and buy some paints.... if only i needed to paint something!
What is the shelf life of paint? maybe one day i'll need some.

Pheonix
14th February 2009, 04:03 PM
Wasn't Wattyl the same mob some months ago tipped thousands of liters of paint rather than give it to charity?
Karma I'd say
Beside which arent they owned by Barloworld.

Ashore
14th February 2009, 05:16 PM
Wasn't Wattyl the same mob some months ago tipped thousands of liters of paint rather than give it to charity?
Karma I'd say
Didn't hear of the paint dumping :?
And no wattyl are a listed company on the Australian stock exchange , ie Australian owned:2tsup:

Harry72
14th February 2009, 05:55 PM
They're probably not listed as Wattyl, have a look on a can for the parent company, for instance Cabots is Orica.

Big Shed
15th February 2009, 09:06 AM
Karma I'd say

Didn't hear of the paint dumping :?
And no wattyl are a listed company on the Australian stock exchange , ie Australian owned:2tsup:

I didn't hear of any paint dumping story either, so perhaps you could point me to a link, would be very interested as that doesn't sound like Wattyl.

As for no Wattyl being listed on the ASX, hopefully that statement doesn't reflect the accuracy of the paint dumping reference. They are indeed Australian owned and listed on the ASX, code WYL, have been for a long time. They own Pascol Paints in NSW and Solver Paints in SA.

Barloworld (http://www.bwca.com.au/)is a South African (Johannesburg) based company. They are the the Caterpillar representative in South Africa and own one of the largest Holden dealerships in Australia. At one stage they owned Tabmans, Bristol, White Knight and other paint brands, but I believe they sold Taubmans to PPG (pittsburgh Plate and Glass - US).

ubeaut
15th February 2009, 09:11 AM
Of the bigger manufacturers, I'm pretty sure that Haymes Paints :2tsup: and Solver :2tsup: are just about the last of the independent, wholly Australian owned and manufactured paint companies left, that haven't been taken over by Orica or one of the other giant international paint conglomerates.

Could be wrong, but think a deep background search of most others will uncover heavy international involvement.

I sure there's a few boutique manufacturers around but none come to mind.

Buy Australian. :aussie5:

Big Shed
15th February 2009, 09:17 AM
Ot the bigger manufacturers, I'm pretty sure that Haymes Paints :2tsup: and Solver :2tsup: are just about the last of the independent, wholly Australian owned and manufactured paint companies left, that haven't been taken over by Orica or one of the other giant international paint conglomerates.

Could be wrong, but think a deep background search of most others will uncover heavy international involvement.

I sure there's a few boutique manufacturers around but none come to mind.

Buy Australian. :aussie5:

Sorry Neil, our posts crossed. Wattyl purchased Solver from the Crowhurst family back in the early 90s, can't remember the exact year. As far as I know Haymes is still owned by the Haymes family in Ballarat.

There has been a lot of musical chairs in the paint industry over the last decade or so.

http://www.wattyl.com.au/AboutUs/Pages/Aboutusthewattylgroup1.aspx

Lignin
15th February 2009, 09:40 AM
I agree that Wattyl own Solver as I had a compatability problem with the two different brands.Wattyl finish coat did not bond to Solver U/coat, much to the Wattyl paint chemists' surprise.
The company re-did the whole job at their own expense, which pleased and surprised me.
They have one loyal and rusted on customer!!:2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
15th February 2009, 12:04 PM
I agree that Wattyl own Solver as I had a compatability problem with the two different brands.Wattyl finish coat did not bond to Solver U/coat, much to the Wattyl paint chemists' surprise.
The company re-did the whole job at their own expense, which pleased and surprised me.
They have one loyal and rusted on customer!!:2tsup::2tsup:Must admit I feel like that myself at times.:roll::U

Ashore
15th February 2009, 02:33 PM
My apologies I worded that wrong I was answering the question :doh:
What i origionally posted (And no wattyl are a listed company on the Australian stock exchange , ie Australian owned:2tsup:)
should have read
And no,( answer to Beside which arent they owned by Barloworld.)
Wattyl are a listed company on the Australian stock exchange , ie Australian owned:2tsup:
I personally have had wattyl shares for over 25 years

ubeaut
15th February 2009, 08:16 PM
Amazing what happens when you're not looking eh.

Oh well looks like Haymes are it then....... Buy Haymes if you want to support a truly Australian product. :2tsup:

soundman
24th February 2009, 10:35 AM
There have been mumblings and grumblings about wattyl for years...what that actulay translates to in reality is another thing.

What does a profit downgrade actully mean......does it just mean they aren't making as much as they did last year, or does it meanthey ar not making as much as they predicted they would.
Either way this is a long way from :bye2::russian:the cieling is falling and they are going broke.

One of the big problems and part of this whole financial crisis is that these big boys can not bear the thaught that they might not make more than they did last year.

Where does the money come from for everybody to make lots more than they did last year.

cheers

Harry72
24th February 2009, 07:20 PM
I personally have had wattyl shares for over 25 years

Can you get me any cheap paint? :D

Ashore
24th February 2009, 08:51 PM
Can you get me any cheap paint? :D
Shareholder discount card price , not as much as trade on some items more on others buggered if I know how it works , no discount on solarguard , I do get a great price on the trademan stains though :D