PDA

View Full Version : On economic stimulus

Big Shed
14th February 2009, 10:30 AM
With the economic stimulus packages now passed, both here and in the US, this article (http://business.theage.com.au/business/a-reflated-bubble-still-bursts-20090211-84sf.html) makes sobering reading.

I just hope these guys are wrong, because if they aren't then the fan is going to be horribly smelly:(

Ron Dunn
14th February 2009, 11:21 AM
I think they're right. Rather than giving people cash in their hand, I'd much rather see that money spent directly on infrastructure projects like new road, rail, PUBLIC housing, etc.

Cash in hand goes to retailers, and eventually flows off-shore with very little domestic gain.

While we're at it, time to stop the first-home-buyer grants. All they do is lure people into debt they can't afford, while enabling inflation to drag up the cost of all building projects.

Howdya do that
16th February 2009, 08:55 AM
i think they're right. Rather than giving people cash in their hand, i'd much rather see that money spent directly on infrastructure projects like new road, rail, public housing, etc.

Cash in hand goes to retailers, and eventually flows off-shore with very little domestic gain.

While we're at it, time to stop the first-home-buyer grants. All they do is lure people into debt they can't afford, while enabling inflation to drag up the cost of all building projects.

:whs:

Jim Carroll
16th February 2009, 09:23 AM
The government are not that stupid.

They realise that the vast majority of the money goes back to the pokies so it end back up in their coffers
In one hand and back in the other.

After talking to a lot of people after the last instalment most agreed that they did not really need it and left it in the bank for a rainy day.

Pat
16th February 2009, 09:29 AM
Well I believe that both myself ans MBGitW will finally qualify for a government handout after for myself 20 years of paying taxes. The money will be used to go to Tasmania in September. So the money won't be going OS

Waldo
16th February 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm all for it, as I can see bikes paths and roof insulation will move us out of going into a recession into the biggest world economy.

Like :censored2: It should never have been passed.

:~

TTIT
16th February 2009, 10:41 AM
I've heard a few others talking about this 'hyper-inflation'. Wonder whose boofhead they'll put on our $1,000,000 note - Mugabe maybe :U:U:U:U

jow104
16th February 2009, 06:40 PM
Well I believe that both myself ans MBGitW will finally qualify for a government handout after for myself 20 years of paying taxes. The money will be used to go to Tasmania in September. So the money won't be going OS

Sorry Pat, but my cousin lives in Tasmania and he regularly visits the UK and brings home some cash.:)