PDA

View Full Version : Not Building but Buying material for a desk?

conwayboys
14th February 2009, 11:33 AM
I am in Sydney and I wanted to know if anyone can point me int he right direction to get a piece of timber. At my work they have desks all made out of wood that would be similar to that used in a kitchen bench top its about 35mm thick and an ivory or off white colour. I plan to buy a piece approx 2.4 meters long and 600mm deep and then just rest it on two 2drawer filing cabinets. It is for the kids bedroom for a study desk. Problem is I cannot seem to locate where i can buy a custom size piece. Ikea have pieces but in set lengths. I was hoping i could fit the piece in an alcove that is 600mm deep and 2.54 meters wide. I want it to be temporary because next year i want to redecorate the room and then fit the piece permanently to the wall with angle brackets.

So my main question is does anyone know... what is this type of wood is called? is the span too wide to do without leg supports.......and where in Sydney could i buy such a piece of timber.

I guess it only needs to be finished on the front and a rolled edge would be nice. PS I am a nurse by trade so I have no idea what i am talking about when it comes to timber.

Appreciate any responses:U

Ron Dunn
14th February 2009, 12:02 PM
Go to a kitchen manufacturer and ask to see their bench offcut pile. You'll have to be flexible with size and colour, but you'll find some real bargains in desk-sized pieces. Most places will also trim the cut edges with matching laminate, so you get a well-finished appearance.