PDA

View Full Version : Scanning negatives & slides

InterTD6
14th February 2009, 03:48 PM
I am interested in scanning my colour negatives & slides to disc or some other computer storage system, does anyone have suggestions or experience with combination home machines with negative scanners.
regards inter

Kev Y.
14th February 2009, 04:16 PM
I purchased a canon flat-bed scanner about 6 years ago. it had the facility to scan negatives. sorry don't know the model number.

Ashore
14th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Most of the later canon multi units/printers have the ability to do it , my ( 2 year old) pixma mp800 does it , one strip of negatives or 4 slides at a time takes about 1 minute for each scan though , This recordes them as colour or black and white pictures to a chosen file in jpeg format, and from there you can do what you want with them :2tsup:

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 04:46 PM
My Epson Perfection 3590 does it couple of years old Epson site here (http://www.epson.com.au/products/scanner/)

you can buy dedicated film and slide (http://www.gould.com.au/OpticFilm-7200-Film-Slide-Scanner-p/fve002.htm) scanners $$$$$

Hope this helps

I_wanna_Shed
14th February 2009, 05:39 PM
Around 2 years ago my father bought a Lexmark RX510 because it could scan slides. I think its just 3 at a time, and I think its around 30-40 seconds per three (don't quote me on that though). (Whatever it was, I don't think it would have been quick enough for the thousands of slides he has)

I was very surprised at the quality at which they slides came out, pretty good.

Nathan.

chrisb691
14th February 2009, 06:52 PM
There are dedicated units like this, (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/otek-film-scanner-make-film-negatives-digital/) that do an excellent job of scanning negs and slides.

This is NOT a recomendation for this particular unit, I'm just using it as an example, and have no specific knowledge of it.

fenderbelly
15th February 2009, 12:38 AM
i have a DIGITECH XC4881 does negs and slides
seems ok, if i remember right $130 with free shipping off ebay

Cheers Fred

mcarthur
16th February 2009, 09:49 PM
The epson v700 is probably one of the best flatbed scanners for film, positive or negative. Some important things I've found is that you will have dirt and dust on the film. Some scanners have an infrared scan than can look through the dust & dirt and the software which can take advantage of it. This can save a lot of time and heartache! Of course they cost more (about $800 for the v700). The step up is a dedicated film scanner (nikon make very good ones) while the step down is another high-end flatbed that isn't quite as good. It also depends on how many you have to scan: if it's in the 10's or 100's, then it may pay to just send them to one of the high-end outfits. I costed my 3-4000 slides and negs to about 50c each at one of the places. It can be $1 or more for fewer.

Rob

Waldo
16th February 2009, 10:11 PM
If you're talking professional grade then Microtek are the one. I bought an Microtek Artixscan 1100 several years ago, current top of the range model is the Artixscan F1. If you're doing a lot negatives look for a scanner with a very high Dmax of 4.2, optical resolution of 4800 x 9600 dpi with 48 bit colour. Film scanners with a high Dmax get more tones and depth out of what might appear by eye to be black. Look for a scanner that can batch scan from 35mm negative right up to 8" x 10"

I can sell you the above for about $2K, only thing is it's SCI (I have yet to pull my finger out and get a Belkin SCI-USB adaptor), in impeccable condition and performance equal to drum scanners. :2tsup:

As always, things fall down to what you use them for and want to get out of them.

Sturdee
17th February 2009, 03:31 PM
My wife recently bought a HP Photosmart C8180 all in one scanner/printer and has allready placed 30 years of photos/slides on her computer without any problems.

Goes quick enough as it scans 6 photos at the time.

Peter.

myrtlewood
17th February 2009, 04:09 PM
Epson Perfection V300 $249. Good quality. Does slides.

BobR
17th February 2009, 08:06 PM
I use a Flextight Photo scanner. If you are going to scan all your photos be prepared for many hours of scanning. If you have a lot of images, now is the time to give some thought to a filing system, otherwise it will take you more time everytime you want to locate a particular photo.

kevjed
21st February 2009, 12:17 AM
I use an Old(ish) Minolta 5400 film scanner.
http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/dimage/dimagescan-elite5400/01.html

Its a great little beast but it is a little slow. It does a wonderful job but like anything it takes a little know how to get the most from the software/hardware and you still need to know how to read the negative/slide to get the best you can from it. It also helps if you know what your final output medium is able reproduce.

Happy scanning.
Kevin

InterTD6
25th February 2009, 02:30 PM
thanks for the replies, has helped me greatly in choosing what I need
Regards inter