PDA

View Full Version : Grim's Bush Bench

Grim
14th February 2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Woodies, (that could mean a completely different thing in another forum:D)
attached is a couple of pictures of a bench/seat I made from a slab of wood given to me by a fellow at the Canberra Wood Show a few years back. I had it in my shed for quite a while, like about 3 years thinking of what I really wanted it to look like. The legs I salvaged from a wood dump the parks and gardens people use for the scrap they turn into mulch.
I wanted it to be a solid piece that could double as extra seating at the outside table. I would be interested in some feedback on it.
I made a mantel piece out of another piece of timber I got from the same show that I will get some pics of. When I think about it, that was a great show. I got the tickets from the radio station for free. Got two great pieces of timber and a nice bottle of wood dressing for timber bowls and utensils (eating type stuff.) Got to be happy with that! I hope you like it.
Cheers,
Grim.

glenn k
14th February 2009, 06:45 PM
interesting legs

Tung tied
14th February 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Grim,

Looks cool

I had a boot once that looked like the left leg in the pic.:cool:

How did you fasten the legs to the top?

Cheers

Bryan

Grim
14th February 2009, 09:00 PM
I used 90 degree metal brackets and roofing screws. That makes them very secure and will stand up to plenty of load. I was pretty happy with the way they are mostly hidden. What is on show adds to the rustic image I think.
Cheers,
Grim.:)

Wongdai
14th February 2009, 11:05 PM
Its a good look - I like it.

RufflyRustic
15th February 2009, 09:52 AM
Love it! I'm quite taken with the effect of rustic done well, mixing whole logs/branches with slab work.

Very effective 'boot' leg too :2tsup::D

cheers
Wendy

Tex B
15th February 2009, 02:36 PM
I like it a lot, Grim. Well done.

Is there any finish on the legs, or just au naturel?

Tex

Grim
15th February 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Tex and everyone else for your kind comments.

I have left the legs as you so eloquently put it Tex, ‘Au Natural’. I figure that they will last for many a year without any help from me.
Cheers,
Grim. :)

artme
15th February 2009, 10:32 PM
What Wendy said! I love the "rustic but not crude" look.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: