PDA

View Full Version : further to the dead mango tree....

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 12:46 PM
next door.

I found out the street address and phoned the housing commission. The people are still in the process of moving out (yeah, right, haven't seen anyone there for 2 months) but when that is finished they are going to get someone out to make sure it can't be saved.

It's DEAD I tell you! How dead does a dead tree have to be before it's dead?

Yeah, I know.

Anyway, told her to make a note to give the lady next door wood - but she giggled. Not sure what that meant.

So, I'll keep you informed and hopefully will have mango to hand out - one of these days :)

Ed Reiss
16th February 2009, 12:50 PM
:)

...how do you know it's dead, it might just be pretending!!!!:q

Robomanic
16th February 2009, 12:51 PM
What - no pulse?

Gra
16th February 2009, 12:52 PM
...how do you know it's dead, it might just be pretending!!!!:q

Its just sleeping....:U:U

Ozkaban
16th February 2009, 12:56 PM
What would happen if it 'fell' over your fence :oo:

Well, just the good bits, anyway :D

Cheers,
Dave

Gra
16th February 2009, 01:00 PM
What would happen if it 'fell' over your fence :oo:

Well, just the good bits, anyway :D

Cheers,
Dave

Could you give it a push, so it lands on you fence, then you can claim a new fence from them and charge them for "Cleaning up" the fallen timber :sneakysmilie

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 01:01 PM
The possums would tell me if it were playing possum.

Even the birds have moved away. :)

The good bits are the burls and twists in the main trunk. I had better be home when the tree loppers get here!

Gra
16th February 2009, 01:10 PM
The possums would tell me if it were playing possum. What about the parrots?

So you are telling us it an Ex tree

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 01:21 PM
So you are telling us it an Ex tree

Nope, going to show you :)

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 01:24 PM
oops...

Gra
16th February 2009, 01:25 PM
you should get a couple of pens outta that:cool:

wheelinround
16th February 2009, 01:43 PM
:oo: PENS BE BUGGERED:~

long boards

branches for bowls & boxes

left over Twigs for pens

Gra
16th February 2009, 01:45 PM

long boards

left over Twigs for pens

:stirthepot::roflmao2:

robutacion
16th February 2009, 01:51 PM
next door.

I found out the street address and phoned the housing commission. The people are still in the process of moving out (yeah, right, haven't seen anyone there for 2 months) but when that is finished they are going to get someone out to make sure it can't be saved.

Yeah, I know.

Anyway, told her to make a note to give the lady next door wood - but she giggled. Not sure what that meant.

So, I'll keep you informed and hopefully will have mango to hand out - one of these days :)

Hi Eliza,

Sorry, she ain't going to do anything, apart from her giggle and the though that you are probably mad!

That are a few steps that you can take to have someone inspecting that tree and make the appropriate recommendation to the authorities in charge but, if you want to increase your chances to getting the best timbers out of that tree, don't laugh and do the following;
Using a white piece of A4 paper (full page) and a permanent marker (black or blue) write a note on it, something like " Could you please contact me at (ph:....) or call at next door, (number.....) and look for Eliza, and I'm very interested in the timber from this tree for my wood-turnings. Your kindness would be most appreciated and a reward (anything you feel like, a painting, a piece made from that same tree, etc, etc...:;) will be offered!"

Now you grab a roll of wide clear tape and stick tape that note on the main trunk, in the most visible place possible. Make sure you cover the full paper with the tape, starting a couple of inches above from the paper and go all around and around and around, until all covered. Other easier way would be to put the note on a clear plastic cover and with the opening of the plastic cover pointing down, use a good staple gum to fix it to the tree.

This way, when someone goes there to cut it, will see the note and they will not ignore it, I can tell you that much. The only problem is, you don't know when it will happen...!:C Well, later is always better than never, huh?:D

PS: I just saw the pic. Yeah, that tree did grow too big in the wrong place, I reckon someone decide to "slow" its growing process by giving it a good drink! Maybe they end-up drowning it, instead, bugger...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Manuka Jock
16th February 2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=96608&d=1234751035 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=96608&d=1234751035)

Nononono, no, no! 'It's resting !

Ozkaban
16th February 2009, 02:14 PM

long boards

left over Twigs for pens

This needs to be cross posted in the pen forum...

:whistling:

cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 02:14 PM
All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (heads towards tree with a chain saw) (oh, hold on, I don't have a chain saw)

robutacion
16th February 2009, 03:09 PM
All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (heads towards tree with a chain saw) (oh, hold on, I don't have a chain saw)

See, I told you so...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
16th February 2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe it's pineing for the Fjords

;)

Gra
16th February 2009, 04:06 PM

;)

:brava:brava:brava

Manuka Jock
16th February 2009, 07:21 PM

;)

'It's not pinin'! 'It's passed on!
That Mango Tree is no more! It has ceased to be!
It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's stiff as a board! Bereft of life,
It rests in peace!
If you hadn't nailed it to the fence it 'id be pushing up the daisies!
It's metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's lost it's twig!
It's kicked the bucket, it 's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the power pole and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THAT IS AN EX MANGO TREE!!

Sawdust Maker
16th February 2009, 08:54 PM
Cleese seen exiting stage left, muttering
"If you hadn't nailed it's roots down it would have toppled over during the last zephyr"

Ed Reiss
17th February 2009, 03:57 AM
...course' it could be a zombie tree!!!:o

SawDustSniffer
18th February 2009, 12:50 AM
i't looks like it still has a few leaves on it
in a confined space like that , they'll use a woodchipper on a big excavator and chip it where it stands
ive found mango gets black and yellow stains in it unless its turned down to 20mm very soon after felling ( green )

artme
18th February 2009, 10:01 AM
Funny bodies these government organs ( Did I say that? :?:doh:)
Won't act if you make a complaint, as I did about a neighbouring property's dead and dangerous old Eucalypt. Months later Council sent some myopic poor bugger on a drive drive of the district and as a result I end up with a semi threatening letter telling me to remove the dead and dangerous tree from my yard!

Phone cal bill and temper rose over a period of several days. Tree is still there!!