PDA

View Full Version : YouTube and woodturning.

RETIRED
16th February 2009, 10:13 PM
I have to confess to spending about 5-6 hours on YouTube watching the videos on woodturning over the last day or 2 and I am astounded at what is there.

Most of the videos are enough to put people off woodturning for life.

Dangerous and ill informed practices abound with inappropriate tools being used for the job, bad techniques, badly sharpened tools, no safety gear, lathes that are wrong for the job, tool rests that move and even lathes on no stands and not bolted down.

The worst part is that some of these are put out by companies that are selling lathes and equipment.

I dare say it is too costly to get a decent turner to promote your product.

tea lady
16th February 2009, 10:52 PM
You should try looking up tai chi videos. That is also a comical undertaking. :doh: Not quite as dangerous though. :rolleyes:

joe greiner
17th February 2009, 01:04 AM
It's amazing how stupidity propagates so much faster than intelligence. But that's the nature of the Internet. On forums such as here, at least there's a modicum of peer review.

That said, I'm reminded of Karl Terzaghi's advice to his graduate students in Soil Mechanics at Harvard: "There is no-one so stupid or evil, that you can't learn something from them." Or words to that effect.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
17th February 2009, 04:33 AM
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

author unknown

rsser
17th February 2009, 07:49 AM
Non sequitur? ....

A brain surgeon was interviewed by a historian and said at the end of the interview that he might write a history of medicine when he retired. The historian replied that he might just take up brain surgery when he retired.

skot
17th February 2009, 08:49 AM
I am doing a bowl turning course at the moment and recommend it strongly. The instructor has over 25 years experience teaching woodwork & turning and makes sure that all his safety hints and correct proceedures are carried out. I have seen those "youtube" vids and agree some of them look dangerous.

For the beginner, do a course from a reputable instructor (no offense to all the self taught turners out there). The instruction I get each week in invaluable and the smallest tip can make life much easier at the lathe.

Pat
17th February 2009, 08:55 AM
I have to confess to spending about 5-6 hours on YouTube watching the videos on woodturning over the last day or 2 and I am astounded at what is there.

Wot, you bludging again . :;

Get back to work:q

A very large grain of salt is required when watching some of the vids. My rule is if it looks dicey, it is dicey and I am no crash test dummy!

Grumpy John
17th February 2009, 08:58 AM
:whs:

must've had aircon fitted to the office :D.

RETIRED
17th February 2009, 11:09 AM
:whs:

must've had aircon fitted to the office :D.Nope!

rsser
17th February 2009, 01:21 PM
The missus mustn't be speaking to him ;-}

RETIRED
17th February 2009, 02:51 PM
Had the "I don't wanna do this":rolleyes: type of job on the go and looked for excuses to get out of it.:D

rsser
17th February 2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I can relate to that. Usually get on the web and post an insulting email somewhere ;-}

FWIW, the best vid sources I know are woodworkingonline and thewoodworkingchannel.

hughie
17th February 2009, 04:15 PM
Hmm, I am not sure if its not some attempt at humour some of these videos.Its difficult to be that stupid and still be with us.......Darwin Awards....:U

artme
17th February 2009, 05:05 PM
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

author unknown

I've got lots of knowledge, not all of it useful. Does that make me rooly dangruss?:D:D:D

tea lady
17th February 2009, 10:04 PM
......so are you trying to pick up tips ?...:hmm:....:D

Ed Reiss
18th February 2009, 05:24 AM
I've got lots of knowledge, not all of it useful. Does that make me rooly dangruss?:D:D:D

...wouldn't know, never seen you operate mechanical equipment. Should we be worried???:roll:

rsser
18th February 2009, 06:16 AM
Actually as a teacher I think it's very useful to know the typical mistakes that learners make and to be able to make them yourself. You then know from the inside what's wrong and how to correct it.

wheelinround
18th February 2009, 09:08 AM
Careful people otherwise we will have another useless Gov Dept created for censorship of Net video on woodworking. Which would mean the end of WWF video's

Edited 10am

Its strange anywhere in the world you can buy machines for personal or small home based business use without any training or Gov interference until something goes wrong.

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2009, 11:31 AM
Careful people otherwise we will have another useless Gov Dept created for censorship of Net video on woodworking. Which would mean the end of WWF video's

Edited 10am

Its strange anywhere in the world you can buy machines for personal or small home based business use without any training or Gov interference until something goes wrong.

It already exists. It's called "The Federal Office of Holding Hands and Empathy" :o

RETIRED
19th February 2009, 07:47 AM
Actually as a teacher I think it's very useful to know the typical mistakes that learners make and to be able to make them yourself. You then know from the inside what's wrong and how to correct it.Ern, I agree in part with that but if you don't have someone (with knowledge) with you to point out the errors then a lot of people take what they see as gospel and Hand the same mistakes on to others.

rsser
19th February 2009, 09:06 AM
Absolutely.

I was assuming a teacher-student situation.

The teacher knowing how mistakes are made is important to diagnosing learning problems is all I was wanting to say.

wheelinround
19th February 2009, 10:12 AM
Its where the teachers are learning from that's got me worried :p

Hands up all you teachers learning off the Forum :rolleyes::;

Calm
19th February 2009, 04:12 PM
, instead of picking on others you could always get out the video camera and make one showing the "right way" according to :q:q:D

Gra
19th February 2009, 04:16 PM
, instead of picking on others you could always get out the video camera and make one showing the "right way" according to :q:q:D

What like the "Turners Tango"...

RETIRED
19th February 2009, 05:24 PM
, instead of picking on others you could always get out the video camera and make one showing the "right way" according to :q:q:DYou want to be the camera man? Any way my way might not be right either.

ElizaLeahy
19th February 2009, 06:22 PM
I'd be the camera man if I lived closer!!! Then I would be able to pick up tips :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2009, 06:34 PM
You want to be the camera man? Any way my way might not be right either.

"Right" is any way that gets the job done safely.

"Safely" is a matter of perspective... which is worse: 1,000 accident free jobs followed by 1 severe OW! or 1 perfect job after 1,000 "Oh Bugger!"s?? :D

Mind you, in some cases - as in one Indian turner - you can plainly see the OUCH factor is much, much higher than 1:1,000. [shudder]

Calm
20th February 2009, 05:13 PM
You want to be the camera man? Any way my way might not be right either.

I did say "according to ":2tsup::D

I would like to see you stack the bricks on the head - that was an interesting exercise:D:D

Not sure about the bare feet holding the wood for the chainsaw - that one maybe a little closer to skews figures i reckon.

Cheers