PDA

View Full Version : Keyrings

ElizaLeahy
17th February 2009, 04:41 PM
I made some keyrings!

I like keyrings.

I have a feeling we are going to have as many keyrings as we have weedpots and hair sticks.

Very pretty piece of Campher Laurel.

artme
17th February 2009, 04:58 PM
Bewdiful!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

new_guy90
17th February 2009, 07:42 PM
campha is a nice timber to try new stuff with

nice work :2tsup:

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
17th February 2009, 07:59 PM
campha is a nice timber to try new stuff with

nice work :2tsup:

Patrick

Yes it is, hard to make a mistake with camphor! And it looks so good, people are impressed. So easily impressed. Let's not tell them it's not hard, hey?

poulso
17th February 2009, 08:19 PM
Nice keyrings Eliza
May i ask what finish you used on the campher.

Ad de Crom
17th February 2009, 08:41 PM
Eliza, I call it a cool idea to make keyrings. And it looks very good and you used the right woodspieces.
I have a question, it looks like it is a kind of a bolt and nut connection, putting everything together, am I right?
You are going for the smaller stuff, isn't it, so not the big stuff like bowls or other hollow forms.
Anyway I like your turnings :2tsup:
Ad

Sawdust Maker
17th February 2009, 09:08 PM
Noice :2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
17th February 2009, 09:24 PM
Nice keyrings Eliza
May i ask what finish you used on the campher.

EEE and then glow :)

ElizaLeahy
17th February 2009, 09:28 PM
Eliza, I call it a cool idea to make keyrings. And it looks very good and you used the right woodspieces.
I have a question, it looks like it is a kind of a bolt and nut connection, putting everything together, am I right?
You are going for the smaller stuff, isn't it, so not the big stuff like bowls or other hollow forms.
Anyway I like your turnings :2tsup:
Ad

Thanks Ad!

I'm starting small. I have a mini Jet and it's on a stand, not bolted, so nothing that's going to cause any vibration at all. I do like doing bowls and things, but they will be, for now, small! I'm even starting to think about something with a lid, just to see if I can. But it will be awhile I think.

Yes, the keyrings are a kit, like pens. There is a hollow tube through the middle that goes onto a pen mandril. It's a bit of a process. First I round the blank and cut to a few mm longer then the tube. Then I drill a hole through the middle, using my drill chuck. Then I glue my fingers to the tube. After I have unglued my fingers, then I glue the tube to the inside of the drilled out wood. After I unglue my fingers from the wood, then I leave it to dry.

THEN I put it on the pen mandril and turn it. And that is the quickest part of the process.

Then you put the ends on, belting it with a hammer when it won't go on.

I'm good at belting things with hammers. And glueing my fingers to things.

:)

Ad de Crom
18th February 2009, 02:41 AM
Thanks Ad!

I'm starting small. I have a mini Jet and it's on a stand, not bolted, so nothing that's going to cause any vibration at all. I do like doing bowls and things, but they will be, for now, small! I'm even starting to think about something with a lid, just to see if I can. But it will be awhile I think.

Yes, the keyrings are a kit, like pens. There is a hollow tube through the middle that goes onto a pen mandril. It's a bit of a process. First I round the blank and cut to a few mm longer then the tube. Then I drill a hole through the middle, using my drill chuck. Then I glue my fingers to the tube. After I have unglued my fingers, then I glue the tube to the inside of the drilled out wood. After I unglue my fingers from the wood, then I leave it to dry.

THEN I put it on the pen mandril and turn it. And that is the quickest part of the process.

I'm good at belting things with hammers. And glueing my fingers to things.

Hi Eliza, thanks for the explanation. it's all very clear to me.
You're a very clever lady !!
Thanks again. Ad :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
18th February 2009, 05:12 AM

...and if it still won't go on, get a bigger hammer:club:

Your spindle turning has shown a lot of improvement, Eliza:2tsup:

Rum Pig
18th February 2009, 08:55 AM
Nice Key rings:2tsup:
I have not CL that dark before I always thought it was a lighter colour:doh:
I also like to make the little bit and bobs there quick and fun have you tried to make any pens yet?

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 09:03 AM
...and if it still won't go on, get a bigger hammer:club:

Your spindle turning has shown a lot of improvement, Eliza:2tsup:

I work on the theory that it couldn't have gotten any worse, Ed! :)

Thanks!

I'll get a bigger hammer next time I'm at Bunnies. Maybe a huge Mallet!!!

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 09:08 AM
I also like to make the little bit and bobs there quick and fun have you tried to make any pens yet?

The sap of camphor is almost like sandstone in colour, but when you get some nice heartwood it can be really dark! I loves it. We had a big camphor laurel tree in the yard when I was a kid, I use to climb it, had a carpet snake in it.

One day the snake was on the ground, sunning itself. Mum rang out to the milkman and asked if he would kill it (she was a widow, they use to deliver milk, DON'T read anything else into it!)

He said "well, you will have to get me something to kill it with." She ran down the back, under the house where we kept the tools, and ran back up and handed him - a saw!!!

He looked at her as if she were crazy. Of course, by now the snake was gone.

It was a carpet snake! I don't know why she wanted to kill it in the first place.

And if you enjoyed that story, read about what happened when I cleaned out my goat shed on the farm.

http://www.secretpens.org/halwyn/snake.html

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 09:10 AM

Ah pens.

Well you see, several years ago there was a deal on ebay I couldn't pass up. 2000 pens for $19. Of course, they were in the US and it was going to cost $30 to get them here, but I thought that $49 for 2000 pens was a good deal.

So I bought them.

Dispite giving as many as possible to friends and supporting Zoe's work with pens for 3 years, the level in the box has not diminished.

I don't think I'll be making any, anytime soon.

Anyone want a pen?

Paul39
20th February 2009, 12:25 PM
"And if you enjoyed that story, read about what happened when I cleaned out my goat shed on the farm."

Wonderful tale, do you have more?

Almost fell out of my chair for laughing. I too like snakes.

My girlfriend, later wife, brought me a garter snake that I kept for over a year. I put it in my pocket one day and went grocery shopping. Standing in the checkout line I felt the snake come out of my pocket and start down my sleeve. There was a very quick pay and go before the snake emerged from my cuff.

My daughter started catching snakes to play with when she was about 4 years old.

Now grown and married, she was recently at a company picnic in a state park when someone saw a 5 foot black snake. Much yelling to kill the snake. She said, "no, no, I'll get it", and grabbed it behind the head and picked it up. It promptly wound itself around her arm and showed her a mouth full of teeth. Rats, now what to do. Two park rangers came to see what the fuss was about and peeled the snake off her and took it to a quieter part of the woods.

mic-d
20th February 2009, 01:16 PM
they're not snake stories, this is a snake story:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=833035&postcount=22

:D

Cheers
Michael