PDA

View Full Version : Coucil Permits

FrankS
23rd May 2004, 06:45 AM
I know various Councils have different interpretations for buildings. So, generally speaking, what would constitute a structural change?
I'm planning to build or have build a deck attached to my house. My Council requires me to have a permit if the deck is larger than 10 sq M..which is not very large.
FrankS

Taffy
23rd May 2004, 09:49 PM
Frank,
Generally anything that changes the roof line of your house is considered a structral change,apart from the obvious re: changing the structural strength of the house, I had a couple of decks built in Brissy and had to have council approval for them, 1 was 7mtr x 4mtr with a roof. however I also at a later date changed the front stairs and had them built as they were when the house was first built, I did not need approval for this.
I know warwick isn't Brisbane but it's all Qld and I would have thought the council would be a little easier out your way. I built 100ft of timber verandah in Beaudesert shire some years ago (in the bush) I didn't ask the councils permission to do that, but when I had a roof put on it I had to get approval for that.
Confusing isn't it.
Best of luck
Taffy

soundman
23rd May 2004, 10:53 PM
why you dont build a 10m2 deck then extend it 10m2 ........

FrankS
24th May 2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks Taffy and Soundman
I don't know as the council here in Warwick is overly permit-happy but I guess some structures that are very obvious will require Council approval just in case the "building inspector" cycles by. My major projects are replacing several aluminium sliding windows with wooden sash windows and installing a floating floor were we would have usually put carpet. Interestingly, if this house (maybe some 60-70 yrs old) was built in a similar fashion today, it would hardly meet current building codes in many areas. But, I'm just trying to bring it back to it's old self.This could be a life-long project.

FrankS