PDA

View Full Version : usefull information for spell checkers

multinut
23rd May 2004, 09:46 AM
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

cheers
multinut
http://www.ubeaut.biz/crowd.gif

Ian007
23rd May 2004, 10:14 AM
multinut
thats funny. I have a Kid with dyslexia and i'm going to get him to read this to see if it makes any difference.
thanks Ian :)

Iain
23rd May 2004, 11:08 AM
Swa tihs bfroee, sitll tnhik ists bllsuhit!

GeoffS
23rd May 2004, 06:12 PM
Interesting.

Iain - I don't know if you intended to do it but your 1st word certainly proves (to me) a point. The 1st and last letters have to be correct That word (swa) threw me completely.

Multinut - I wouldn't try it too often - slow readers (i.e. those that have to hear it phonetically) might have a problem - hi - try pronouncing some of the longer words you typed!
Helps explain why some miss-spelling can be ignored ( mainly typos with reversed letter pairs) and others can bring your reading to a halt.

Cheers

kenmil
23rd May 2004, 06:15 PM
Hey Multinut, I suggest you learn to spell "useful" before you start messing with the other big words. :D

Sorry, but you asked for that ! :p

Bob Willson
23rd May 2004, 07:03 PM
:( Kenmil. you should be ashamed of yourself! A new pair of glasses required maybe?

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg No apostrophe in 'cdnoult' and 'rdgnieg' could stand a bit of work too. :D :D

Not even going to mention 'rscheearch';)

Bob Willson
23rd May 2004, 07:26 PM
Multinut isn't deaf kenmil, he heard you the first time.

Caliban
23rd May 2004, 08:08 PM
Will I or won't I?
Yes beuggr it (ha, take that auto obscenity filter) I will. (thanks Multinut :D :D :D )
Bob you ought to be ashamed of yourself. What kind of a spelling Nazi are you?
You didn't use a CAPITAL letter for Kenmill's name.
Go and sit in the corner until either Ken or I tell you that you can come out and play. Bad boy!

Bob Willson
24th May 2004, 05:50 AM
Kenmil doesn't use a capital for his name. The only reason I used one here is because it is starting a sentence. My usage was absolutely correct as it is not up to me to tell somebody how to spell their own name. I also note that you spell your own name using a lower case letter for the initial letter. My own name is spelt using all required and normal capitalisation

I expect a formal apology!:( :mad:

Iain
24th May 2004, 07:56 PM
But with this exercise the apostrophe can go anywhere it wants, providing IT IS not at the start or finish of the sentence :p

Caliban
24th May 2004, 09:44 PM
bOb wILLSON
Beuggr me if you're not absolutely correct! ;)
I most humbly beg your forgiveness if you are ( and I presume you are) on the level, however in the unlikely event that you are simply looking for a way to wriggle out of being found lacking then your own conscience should send you to the corner. :D
cheers
Jim
ps this ought to show all those who criticise ve Nazis that no one is above suspicion ;) even if they are proven innocent like you just were.

Bob Willson
25th May 2004, 03:10 PM
Thank you hovo. :) Yes, I was completely on the level and if you check previous posts of mine then you may readily ascertain the truth of this statement.

ps this ought to show all those who criticise ve Nazis that no one is above suspicion ;) even if they are proven innocent like you just were.Further, it should prove that spelling checkers (English checkers) are willing to admit when they err. :)

Iain, I beg to differ. The apostrophe must be contained within the word to which it applies; NOT merely somewhere within the sentence.

Caliban
25th May 2004, 07:13 PM
Bob
To err,( like I did) is human. To forgive (like you did) is Divine. :D
Beuggr the rest of them. ;)
cheers
Jim (with a Capital J ) :D

Kev Y.
25th May 2004, 09:10 PM
:mad: Another useless thread!

Caliban
26th May 2004, 10:13 PM