PDA

View Full Version : Easter Windsor Chair Course

derekh
17th February 2009, 10:48 PM
Is anyone else here considering going to Richard Hares Windsor Chair course at Easter ? I need to make a decision by months end and I am undecided.

I normally do some course each Easter such as Strawbale House Building, Keyline Design (dam building), Permaculture and I'm currently doing an 8 week Master Tree Grower course. I should devote time to thinning my 300 acre forest.

Time and money are issues (no handouts for me) at the moment so I may defer until later in the year. I'm interested, just undecided :(

mic-d
18th February 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi Derek
I'd like to go but suffering the same situation as you.

Cheers
Michael

fletty
18th February 2009, 09:36 PM
Derek,
I might be free at Easter, could you send any details or a link to the course?

Fletty

Carry Pine
19th February 2009, 08:22 PM
A warning to be clear in your mind what you will be making. I thought I knew what a Windsor chair was until I saw what they made in one course - a stool. I would have been disappointed with the result if I did the course.

Graham

prozac
21st February 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks Graham, noted.

jenny_adams
6th March 2009, 03:11 AM
I'd love to go but I'm undecided myself...

ChairmanHare
7th March 2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys, not got the hang of this Forum yet ... thought I had posted a message earlier in Feb. re our April course going ahead at our new location at Fitzroy Falls, but I can't find it now .....

We made a special offer of $200 off the fee as it was so close to course starting and have one student booked / confirmed. Normally we have a four person minimum but we are going ahead with just one student this time to get the energy happening.

It has been brought to my attention due to one persons experience on some other course that we should clarify what you will make in our workshop.
Check out www.rbhchairs.com where you will find detailed info on what Windsor chair you will be making, definetly not a stool !! although we are keen to introduce a 2 day workshop to make a stool .....

7 day workshop sees you make either the English or American style Windsor side chair.
10 day workshop sees you make a Windsor Double Bow carver chair.

If you want to attend the Easter workshop starting Tuesday April 7th please contact us on [email protected] as the fee is to be paid by March 31st.

chairs,
Gwynna and Richard Hare.

Ozartisan
26th March 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi all
For what it's worth, I have met Richard & Gwynna and must say I am very impressed with them both as people AND Richards work.
I reckon his workshops will be great fun (if you can stand the dry humour!) and I am sure the finished product will be worth the effort.
He did manage to get me going on his Pole lathe at the Hastings Woodworkers show at Port Macquarie last year. Quite a bit different to the DVR I was using!

No connection with them - just impressed me when I met them.

ChairmanHare
27th March 2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you Ozartisan for your positive endorsement .... we were very impressed with your establishment and what you are offering when we called in to check you out .... last December I think.
If anyone is traveling past Taree, it is worth taking a detour off to Tinonee to visit the 'Artisan Retreat' and see how this place has been set up. We hope to see you again sometime, perhaps down here in the Southern Highlands ... doing a bit more than playing on the pole lathe .... making a beautiful Windsor chair.:2tsup:

ChairmanHare
27th March 2009, 09:06 AM
We had a lot of interest and very positive comments about our display and Richard demonstrating at the Moss Vale Show two weeks ago. We were invited to be part of a group of Heritage crafts on display which included a Wheelwright, a Blacksmith, a Leather craftsman and a Potter. I think this group of like minded artisans will grow and team up for future demonstrations together which would be fantastic to keep us all in the public eye.

We gained some more interest for workshops in the future but it looks like we will be a 'one man' workshop for April course at Easter. Lucky student, Richards undivided attention !! Four days left till course fee is to be paid, if you want to join this course.

chairs,
Gwynna *

derekh
27th March 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry I cannot attend, my "play" money has been expended with higher priorities. I always enjoy doing courses because of the subject matter and particularly the people and their different backgrounds that has brought everyone to same place.

Ozartisan
27th March 2009, 04:05 PM
chairs,
Gwynna *

What did I say about that dry humour....:D

ChairmanHare
27th March 2009, 04:24 PM
No worries Derekh. We will look forward to having you 'onboard' a course some time in the future when the cash can has been restocked. Our course is a worthwhile investment and the company is always fantastic !!

Will keep you up to date as the workshop progress's through Easter. Hopefully I will have learned how to attach photo's .... and post a few of those.

chairs,
Gwynna *
for Richard Hare Chairs

prozac
19th April 2009, 01:43 PM
I'd love to go but I'm undecided myself...

A new member! Welcome Jenny.

ChairmanHare
19th April 2009, 07:44 PM
Hello to all you greenwood workers. sorry this has taken so long to post any news re the Easter Traditional Greenwood Chair Workshop held at Wildwood Gallery, Fitzroy Falls. We have had internet difficulties ... and I just didn't find time to get it sorted till now.

Our one student had never, ever, ever done anything with his hands ... and he had a fantastic experience, even driving back to Sydney on the Thursday night to collect his 14 year old son to bring him back to spend a day with him experiencing the use of these hand tools.

We had a great week, learning a lot from this student ourselves as he stayed with us the week (due to Easter accom. already being booked out anywhere local) and look forward to meeting his wife in the very near future. I will post his written response to his experience when we receive it from him. I will attempt to attach a pic of his finished chair, alongside The Chairman (Richard) who also completed a Windsor Continuous Arm chair. oops, the photo is way too large ... and I can't figure how to downsize right now so will post photo when I achieve this.

We are now looking forward to our August course which we have 3 students booked for. I will begin publishing the dates of remaining courses for this year as our intention is to have full courses each event.

Please note the dates for October course have changed. Now starting October 17th to 23rd for 7 day course and finishing October 26th for 10 day course. The change is due to the Chairman being invited to display and demonstrate at the Bowral Tulip Festival October 1st and as we didn't have any bookings confirmed we decided to take the opportunity to be visible in the local community festival.

chairs,
Gwynna
for Richard Hare Chairs.