PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Make A New One Please?

Buzza
18th February 2009, 12:24 AM
I have a lamp stand, and it has a table in the centre half-way up the pole. It was made by my late brother, and someone has cracked it, and then tried to glue it back together with Super Glue. I should think that being a round disc with a lip, it could never be repaired, and so I need a South Australian turner to make me a new one. I would think that a different timber may even enhance it, as the finish could not be replicated. Of course I forgot to measure it, and it will be a while before I can.

Here are a few pictures I got today.

robutacion
18th February 2009, 12:44 AM
I have a lamp stand, and it has a table in the centre half-way up the pole. It was made by my late brother, and someone has cracked it, and then tried to glue it back together with Super Glue. I should think that being a round disc with a lip, it could never be repaired, and so I need a South Australian turner to make me a new one. I would think that a different timber may even enhance it, as the finish could not be replicated. Of course I forgot to measure it, and it will be a while before I can.

Here are a few pictures I got today.

G'day Buzza,

You get it to me, and I will repair it for you free of charge. I can easily repair the original piece, preferentially than make a new center piece. I'm not sure how far you are from me (MT. Compass) so, if possible bring the whole thing as is, if you are far away but can post it, you should be able to remove the top & bottom pieces and post me only the broken disc.

Let me know what you think of this!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Buzza
18th February 2009, 12:55 AM
That's a great offer RBTCO, thanks a lot. I am in Elizabeth, but I could make the journey for your great offer. The timber was turned to be rather thin, and now it may have changed shape a little. However, SWMBO and I will work out a day and take a run down to your place. I will chat with her in the morning. :D

Rum Pig
18th February 2009, 08:48 AM
Very generous offer RBTCO good to see:2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2009, 11:21 AM
worth a greenie methinks :2tsup:

robyn2839
18th February 2009, 11:37 AM
worth a greenie methinks :2tsup:

here here:2tsup:

robutacion
18th February 2009, 03:32 PM
That's a great offer RBTCO, thanks a lot. I am in Elizabeth, but I could make the journey for your great offer. The timber was turned to be rather thin, and now it may have changed shape a little. However, SWMBO and I will work out a day and take a run down to your place. I will chat with her in the morning. :D

Hi Buzza,

As the "crow fly" you about 74km from me which represent maybe about 100km by road!

Have it discussed with your SWMBO and be prepared to spend the day with us. Being here about 9 or 10 AM, it will be ready about sometime after 4:00 PM so, one trip down and you will take it back all "new" again.

If the weekend (Saturday or Sunday) is a better option for you, makes no difference to us, bring the SWMBO and/or who ever you want, dogs, birds etc., we will have a good day.

"Once upon a time" oh well, about 25 year ago or so, I decided to expend my horisants as an all around carpenter and dedicate some time as an old furniture restorer. Little did I know that in no time I was getting the "impossible" jobs that no other restorer would touch. I will never forget one of my last jobs as a restorer (interesting job but unless you are restoring pieces that worth a fortune, owned by very rich people, the hourly rate would become maybe less than a $1.00 an hour, as even small jobs can take dozens and dozens of working hours that no one was prepare to pay as any other normal hourly rate job type, would you pay $1.000 to restore a chair when you can replace with an identical for $300?, off-course not, but what about that same chair being part of a table set made in the 1800's, made by Master. so & so and owned by the Prince of so & so that owns the Castle of so & so, from the village nest door...??? :o, remember I was in rural Portugal then, there are plenty of them still around...! :rolleyes:), anyway, what was I saying...?, oh yeah, one of my last restore jobs, I have to cut this long story short as this post is getting already long(ish) so, this unique old piece like a large chest drawer was found in one of the castle underground storage cellars. The decision was made to bring it to the light and have a better look when the "thing" completely disintegrated in a big pile of dust. The piece was made of 3 timber varieties, 2 special oaks and one other species that was imported at the time from somewhere. The Master decide to make all the main frame with this new species, not knowing that one of the little timber borers that were and still are and I believe ever will, very common timber eaters, black in colour and also the size of a larger flee. These are slow eaters but apparently they had about 80 years to do the job so they had plenty of time , really...!:oo::U. This rich Prince decide that he wanted to find out its (piece) story and have it restored. The problem was that I had never seen it in one piece and when I was called to the location where the piece have desintregated (no one touched anything but the dust had already settle, thanks goodness!). Was impossible for me to work out what was what but, I gently and carefully removed all the pieces that weren't only dust some of them in near perfect condition. Gees... how am I going to shorten this story even more???, OK so they traced the piece to its origins, that how I found out about this imported timber use on the frame that the wood eaters loved so much!:~, there were no known pics of this piece but they did found out that before this piece was stored in the cellars, it did come from the bedroom of a young lady then (family relative) that lived in the castle, and by luck this young lady was still alive and now a 102 old lady living in a nursing home. She had a good memory (fortunately for me), as she remember the day that the piece was taken from her bedroom was she as 17 years old. Apparently the drawers were difficult to use, so they took it away and replaced it with a different one. She never knew what happened to that piece after that day but she had a very clear image of this piece in her head as this item was located beside her bed, only a few feet away, in the direction that she would normally sleep so, she knew every inch of that piece. With her help, a detailed drawing was made, which helped me to identify the remaining pieces and work out the size and shape of the pieces made to dust. From beginning to end, this became a nearly 6 month job, which I was very generously paid for but started a flood of similar or close enough impossible jobs from people from everywhere but they were no Prince's or owned a Castle or could afford such repairs, they just wanted to have certain timber pieces restored because of their sentimental value to them, which I could understand, but really, they had no means to pay what needed to be done. So and after a few jobs never paid, I decided not to accept any more restoration jobs. I have done many other restores since, but never as a job or as means of living, not to mention that none of them would even come close the the shadow of difficulty of the Prince job!:no:
I reckon, this restore is too easy, or was... in my days. Yeah, bring it on, see if I still got it...!:doh::q

Sorry about the story, the subject took me back in time for a little while!:D

RBTCO

rodent
21st February 2009, 01:13 PM
Me thinks it's time to wright a book on your times as a furniture restorer robutacion .

robutacion
21st February 2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Rodent,
Yeah, I know, some people like short posts, others "me" think, don't say much!:o, and are others that get "sucked" into the subject in question, always bringing some sort of memories or momento!
There are obviously, nice "fiction" story creators/tellers, and are lots of good stories "true living experiences" that will never be shared. Some put it in books, which they deservelly expect a financial contribution (these are the smart ones!), and then, their are others that like to share those true stories free of charge, when the opportunity offers itself. No big deal, really...! we are all different, huh?

I reckon, I will continue to pass on these stories of mine, my way, actually, now that I'm on the subject, there are certain periods of my more "specialized" working career/life that have been "extensively" written/documented on the Internet (web site[s]). Some "interesting" stuff I've done in my time of "optimum performance/endurance", but hey... that's my problem, right?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion rodent, many had express the same though in the pass, but I still today say, no thank you!:wink:

RBTCO

rodent
24th February 2009, 01:22 PM
Yes -some of the horror storys we go through to get the job done are stranger than fiction .