PDA

View Full Version : Window Stays

Strungout
23rd May 2004, 01:37 PM
I have an old federation house that has an inward opening window over the top of the front door (High light -I think its called).

What type of stays did they use back then to hold the window open?

At the moment I have a bit of brass chain.

I have tried every where and because the window opens in I have had no luck.

Any suggestions or links.

TIA

Greg

Blue Wren
23rd May 2004, 03:05 PM
We too have a federation house with fan lights over the doors. They have solid brass long levers, so you can operate from ground level. Sounds as though you need to climb up to yours! These can be purchased from any of the restoration places. Not sure where you are, got carried away when I found a question I could answer ;) however there is Restoration Station, Qld, Recollections in NSW, S.A., W.A. & Vic. They post stuff as we are in the country and it comes perfectly fine. Superior Brass I think make them also. Start at your nearest restoration store and you will have no trouble. Most of ours open inwards, but we do have 3 over a set of casement windows that open outwards.

Strungout
23rd May 2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks Blue Wren,

Unfortunatly the way the doors /rooms are I cant fit them on.

I have used them on the internal ones-(without much luck I may add) , but I cant fit them to the external doors.

Regards

Greg

ozwinner
23rd May 2004, 05:30 PM
Try here Greg, theres bound to be something.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=window+hardware&meta=

Al

Barry_White
23rd May 2004, 05:45 PM
Actually some of them used to operate with a fixed threaded rod attached to the window head and threaded pully that was turned with a endless cord and the window would hinge inward from the bottom.

If your not sure what I mean I can post a sketch

bitingmidge
23rd May 2004, 07:10 PM
A true "hopper" window opens inwards and is hinged at the bottom. As already mentioned there are a number of patented fittings, like this one from Domino Brass (http://www.dominobrass.com.au/standard_fittings.asp?maj_no=3&min_no=4) you will have to contact them for the name of a supplier near you.

If your window is centre pivoting, the answer is a little cheaper! They were fitted with a spring catch and a loop of blind cord to operate them, with a small brass cleat on the wall to hold them open at whatever angle.

A third method, (I remember them used at school but not the exact detail) was to operate the catch with a long rod kept for the purpose.

Another site that you may find useful, particularly if you chase all the links on the pages is Len Evan's World of Old Houses (http://www.oldhouses.com.au/).

Regards,

P

Strungout
28th May 2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks all for your help and info.

I will do some searching around

Regards

Greg

wombat47
29th May 2004, 01:19 AM
I have original fanlight openers on the inside of the front door and at the end of the hallway - both fanlights open into the hall.

They look very similar to Bitingmidge's attachment but the newer version has an extra bend - it looks as though it angles sideways and is meant to be fitted to the wall at it's lower end. Mine goes straight down from the fanlight frame and is fixed to the door frame.