PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP---need info on old hand planes

JeremieDoucet
18th February 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi
I have recently started using hand planes.And guess what, i am now addicted to them..haha.I am 23 years of age, from canada and i have ben working carpentry since i was 20.I love my job and i love wood.Recently i have started doing some small projects (spoons,pipes,bowls..) and i also had the chance to learn how to use hand planes.WOOOOW what a great feeling it is to get one of these things to actualy work.I have as #4 stanley and a few block planes and i am looking foward to expanding my colection.i have come across some hand planes for sale but i am not shure if it is a fair price (100$ canadian) or not.could you guys please help me identify these planes and tell me a little about them.

toolbagsPLUS
18th February 2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Jeremie,

Well you got 'em now so price is irrelevant.

Looks like a #7 (the longer one) #5 Middle sized one and an early compass plane.

Don't know much about the block planes (smaller ones) Weird one at the back is a #78 Filsner Plane for dados or rebates.

For good information on all Stanley planes may i suggest you visit

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm

Word of warning :no: this pathway you have just entered upon can become very addictive and expensive is you want it to be.:doh:

Congratulations and good on ya! Been bitten by the bug myself.:):2tsup:

Cheers

Steve

JeremieDoucet
18th February 2009, 09:59 AM
Thank for the info.I didnt buy these planes yet i found the add in a local internet swap shop,and wanted to make shure i didnt trow my money away for i dont have very much :U.I am very exited to fix them up and use them.

Jeremie

switt775
18th February 2009, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the slippery slope.

By my count there are 6 planes of possible worth (the compass one is probably more of a curiosity).

To assess their worth, have a good look at the soles and the mouths. Are the soles badly pitted? Are there chips out of the mouths? Either of these can seriously affect the usability. Surface rust is OK, that can be cleaned up with a bit of work. Also check the cutters. You can expect all will need sharpening. Just make sure there is enough blade left to sharpen a couple of times.

Once you've done that, you will have a better idea of value.

If you decide to go ahead, do a search here on restoring planes, you will get lots of good tips.

mic-d
18th February 2009, 11:38 AM
What's the best method to store handplanes once they are restored?

:wink::wink::D

Cheers
Michael

switt775
18th February 2009, 12:10 PM
The safest solution would be to send them to me. :D

JeremieDoucet
19th February 2009, 04:23 AM
Should i use some kind of past wax on my planes once they are all cleaned up?can i take of the rust with sand paper?

Thx
Jeremie Doucet

toolbagsPLUS
19th February 2009, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=mic-d;899167]What's the best method to store handplanes once they are restored?

Now why won't people believe me, the best way to store 'em is in a Plane Slipper from toolbagsPLUS. Honest.

Review article about them by Richard Vaughan, in the next issue of Australian Wood Review. Another great Aussie made Product.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Steve

switt775
19th February 2009, 11:13 AM
Should i use some kind of past wax on my planes once they are all cleaned up?can i take of the rust with sand paper?

Thx
Jeremie Doucet

Check out this site (http://www.majorpanic.com/handplane_restor1.htm). A complete plane restoration with plenty of pictures. Shows you what is possible.

JeremieDoucet
19th February 2009, 11:41 AM
thx for the link for plane Slipper from toolbagsPLUS not only they protect you planes they look great also.
Thx

Jeremie D

Ron Booth
19th February 2009, 12:23 PM
Take up cocaine mate. It`s gotta be cheaper!!!!
Yeh, just kidding, cos I know how you feel.
I bought a few reasonable ones, some good, some bad on e-bay. Mainly old woodies.
Great fun making them work better than new.
Then somehow I followed links and before I could cough, I was into infill planes. You know, people say oh, do you have any Norris planes in your collection.?"
Norris?---and the rot sets in.
To cut a long story, but goodie, short, I found out about Philip Marcou in Waihi, New Zealand. This man is a genius.--an artist as well.
Checkout his web page. just google his name.
If you aren`t a hospital psychiatric case after this let me know.
Anyhow--good luck mate. Ron Booth:U

toolbagsPLUS
19th February 2009, 05:08 PM
Here's another for Record enthusiasts this is an amazing site has all Record Planes except one i believe. http://www.recordhandplanes.com/

Cheers
Steve

recordcollector
24th February 2009, 08:12 AM
To toolsbagsplus
Steve Thank you for giving recordhandplanes.com a plug on Woodwork forums it has been 40 years in the making
David

byacey
18th July 2009, 02:59 AM
This is how I store my planes; digging them out of a bag would be to inconvenient while I'm working. They are always close at hand in a cupboard like this.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/Planes.jpg

recordcollector
18th July 2009, 04:38 PM
G'Day With my user hand Planes I keep them in a bag at night and at the week-end in a cabinet some thing like your cabinet. As you can only use one plane at a time I dont think you would have all your planes on the bench at the same time. I got a load of Plane bags from Toolbagsplus Steve and they are a lot better than the canvas type bags I was useing.
Stay-Sharp and keep your plane in a bag
David
www.recordhandplanes.com (http://www.recordhandplanes.com)