PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Kitayama whetstone

Thumbthumper
18th February 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

I'm very new to Japanese whetstones.

I've just purchased a new Kitayama whetstone (8000) for final honing on my chisels and plane irons, and I have a couple of questions.

Is it best to store the store the stone in water, or should I just soak it prior to using ?

Also,

Should I be using the nagura stone to build up a slurry each time I'm about to use the stone, or just when it needs a bit of flattening ?

Thanks in anticipation.
Stu

Sheets
18th February 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi Stu,

Most makers of synthetic stones recommend soaking fine finish stones just prior to use, but not recommend leaving in water all the time (OK for coarse and medium stones - unless otherwise directed by the manufacturer). You may find that just wetting the surface prior to use will suffice (it depends how absorptive the stone is).
You will probably find that using the nagura stone is needed each time you use your finish stone (otherwise, the metal particles will just bed into the surface and glaze it). The slurry helps keep the tool moving easily, prevents the glazing (if your stone has that tendency) and actually makes for a better edge. As the slurry starts to dry out, just add a few drops of water.

If you inspect your stone prior to each use, you may see where there is any dishing, so as you build up the slurry with the nagura, you can help to flatten the stone. Try to work evenly over the whole surface of the stone, as concentrating too much in the same place will cause dishing. Occasionally, there may be too much of the surface to flatten with the nagura alone, so you will need to use some other flat surface to correct it.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thumbthumper
18th February 2009, 04:10 PM
That helps heaps thanks Steve...

The instructions were in Japanese :C

Looking forward to using it very soon. I was using 2000 wet and dry on a granite plate to hone, this will be so much more convenient.

Cheers,
Stu

Sheets
18th February 2009, 10:17 PM
I was using 2000 wet and dry on a granite plate to hone, this will be so much more convenient.

Not to mention a much finer edge. Watch your fingers!:o

But the granite plate will be ideal for flattening if there's too much for the nagura.

Steve