PDA

View Full Version : timber and working with wood shows

mic-d
18th February 2009, 01:01 PM
I know this is being a bit cryptic but I am adopting a very cautious approach to framing this post:D

I have heard bad, bad things from one of the horse's mouths about who will not be at the TWW shows this year. Let's hope the organiser and the exhibitors sort this out or it will be a poor shadow of former shows I reckon.
Has anybody else heard anything?
Cheers
Michael

mic-d
18th February 2009, 03:16 PM
I can say that these people are currently not intending to attend the east coast shows,
Richard Raffan, Richard Vaughan, Terry Gordon, Colen Clenton, Trent Powrie nor Chris Vesper.

That puts a pretty big hole in things if an agreement can't be reached, which I hope can be.

Sturdee
18th February 2009, 03:23 PM
Has anybody else heard anything?
Cheers
Michael

Not specifically, but the cost of entering a stand has become so expensive over the years that less and less exhibitors are entering. Last year Hare & Forbes did not enter in Melbourne and the Timbercon stand was a fraction of the size it used to be.

I think smaller exhibitors would be better of reducing their prices by about 10 % all year round and not enter a stand, for that I think is the cost to woodworkers for these shows.

Peter.

Ben from Vic.
18th February 2009, 03:31 PM
I think smaller exhibitors would be better of reducing their prices by about 10 % all year round and not enter a stand, for that I think is the cost to woodworkers for these shows.

Peter.

If thats true then :oo::oo:

I_wanna_Shed
18th February 2009, 03:31 PM
I can say that these people are currently not intending to attend the east coast shows,
Richard Raffan, Richard Vaughan, Terry Gordon, Colen Clenton, Trent Powrie nor Chris Vesper.

That puts a pretty big hole in things if an agreement can't be reached, which I hope can be.

The demonstrations by Richard Vaughan and Richard Raffan are a BIG part of why I go.

If a few other holes are also going to be created it would be a big loss. I've seen it comign though, if stand prices just keep getting high of course exhibitors will drop out, then watch the attendance drop, and the show closes down. I think there's a whole other thread on this though.

:(

mic-d
18th February 2009, 03:39 PM
Not specifically, but the cost of entering a stand has become so expensive over the years that less and less exhibitors are entering. Last year Hare & Forbes did not enter in Melbourne and the Timbercon stand was a fraction of the size it used to be.

Peter.
That's a different but interesting point you raise Peter, I didn't know that it cost so much.

Cheers
Michael

Sturdee
18th February 2009, 03:51 PM
That's a different but interesting point you raise Peter, I didn't know that it cost so much.

Cheers
Michael

I was told by Gustec (the former Melbourne Carbatec franchisee) that the last year they entered it cost them $35k just to hire the floor space.

Additionally they had to provide the stand, pay for electricity, cartage and ordering in additional merchandise to have stock at the stand as well as their shop and extra staff and the show discount.

The total cost they estimated then to be 7 % of their yearly turnover and that was quite a few years ago. I doubt that costs of these shows stayed the same.

And this store was local but for those from other states there is the additional cost of interstate travel, cartage and accommodation as well, and meanwhile they will loose sales as their normal business is closed.

Peter.

mic-d
18th February 2009, 04:02 PM
The demonstrations by Richard Vaughan and Richard Raffan are a BIG part of why I go.

If a few other holes are also going to be created it would be a big loss. I've seen it comign though, if stand prices just keep getting high of course exhibitors will drop out, then watch the attendance drop, and the show closes down. I think there's a whole other thread on this though.

:(

Yes me too. This is not an issue of stand costs however. Primarily anyway...

Cheers
Michael

Claw Hama
18th February 2009, 04:26 PM
I agree, without these guys you would hardly be bothered going. If they are dropping out then you can bet there will be others also. The organisers should be looking to build things up not turn displays away with high stand costs. (Yes I'm sure they have some large expensess as well)

GraemeCook
18th February 2009, 05:08 PM
Cannot say that I have noticed a pile of vacant spot at wood work shows in recent years.

P{erhaps they are just charging what the market will bear. Who do they think they are? Banksters??

Graeme

mic-d
18th February 2009, 05:23 PM
Cannot say that I have noticed a pile of vacant spot at wood work shows in recent years.

P{erhaps they are just charging what the market will bear. Who do they think they are? Banksters??

Graeme

hmm just to keep this on track, I'm talking about these people not attending FUTURE shows, not past shows and the reason is because of several new conditions the organisers have placed on the exhibitors, relating to contractual and insurance obligations. The cost may be an issue, but it's not the primary issue.

Cheers

Michael

Fencepost2
18th February 2009, 07:12 PM
I am disappointed that there will be no Adelaide show this year. I guess that the numbers did not add up. The highlights of the show have always been the demonstrations by good teachers such as Richard Vaughan and Roger Gifkin and the like. I know an increased admission charge would deter lots of people, but I would gladly pay up to $50 entrance if there were two or three demonstrations from high calibre people like these. But the numbers have to add up for everyone, organisers, vendors, and demonstrators, there is no free lunch anymore.

Lumber Bunker
18th February 2009, 07:55 PM
It's true it's very $$$
We had 3m x 3m stand and it cost a bomb! we chose to sell small boards last year and at $5 a piece we had to sell 1850 boards to cover the cost of the stand, the two staff, the freight, the accomodation, the meals, the COFFEE!, the telephone line, the lights, the power and the walls and the signage! Then the cost of sale it self, (cost of the item, labour, cost of collect money credit fees etc)
Thats 1.2 boards per min for every minute of all three days!
We had a few other items to supplement the sales.

We broke even in 2008 which is GREAT for us. we are much more interested in the on going sales and public awearness that we created by being at the show.
Most trade shows are not about selling on the day, but about creating leads... but it seems that people treat the wood shows as a market, not a trade show...

But the show for many represents for a years advertising budget! no wonder, there are people sharing stands, HNT Gordon, H&S chisels, Colin Clenton, Micheal Conner etc etc.

The Newcastle wood show is on this week end. It is our local show, and we are not attending. Will will attend Sydney in the future? I'm not sure, i've not done the costings for this year yet? Maybe we will have a "week before the show" special like Hare and forbes, and turn the same amount of stock with out, having to move it all across the city.

I'm just not sure for this year and the show?

Cheers

Steve Thomas

IanW
18th February 2009, 10:07 PM

Graeme - at the Brissie show last year you could have put quite a few more exhibitors in & still swung the proverbial cat with ease. I noted the absence of several former 'regulars'.

Check out the thread devoted specially to the woodshows - there's much said there already on why people are or are not still going.....
Cheers,

GraemeCook
19th February 2009, 04:14 PM
Graeme - at the Brissie show last year you could have put quite a few more exhibitors in & still swung the proverbial cat with ease. I noted the absence of several former 'regulars'.

Thanks Ian. Never got that far north.

With the economic downturn I suppose that the wood show people will have to compete vigorously, as will the regular and potential exhibitors and vendors.

Cheers

Graeme

BrettC
20th February 2009, 08:54 PM
What a shame, maybe this is my hazy after Friday work beers logic here :doh::o:2tsup:but wouldn't it be great that instead of a radio station owning consortium running these shows that all the valued exhibitors arranged shows based on hiring venues from money raised on door takings (as above I'd pay $20 or so) and used the money that they would have spent on site fees for discounts to the customers.

Good deals is in my view what leads to more leads / word of mouth customer good will than just a subsistence and hopeful profile raising excercise.

Anyway I haven't looked at the WWW show thread so I could be missing something...:;

Christos
20th February 2009, 09:46 PM
I found the show last year at Sydney great to attend. So much to see and try.

Yes I will admit that I have also purchased a few items while I was there. I have been waiting quite some time for the dates to come up as confirmed for this years Sydney show.

missionaryman
20th February 2009, 09:52 PM
I had to work at the stand for Boral one year when I still worked there at a home improvement show in Darling harbour.
The 2 x 36m2 floor displays cost $1.3M is what I was told internally, those were the biggest stands at the show and they were either side of the entrance. 5 different divisions of the business got together and shared the bill (Timber, Bricks, Roofing, Montoro & Plasterboard).
I was told they decided to go that way that particular year because per m2 it was about double the cost of TWWW and it gave the other divisions an opportunity to display their gear - that kind of money probably makes it almost impossible for anyone short of a blue chip giant to have a stand.

When I last went to TWWW it was mainly people like Boral, Bostik, Britton Timber and other big guys who are pretty boring to look at, Fein Multimaster were about the only interesting people there. It seems to be becoming more of a trade show than a working with wood show. The first time I went years ago it was much better, lots of demos etc.

China
20th February 2009, 10:58 PM
Yes the shows are not what they used to be, the people of Adelaide have made their feelings known, the result is we don't get one this year, instead of making improvements they canceled it

coffenup
21st February 2009, 09:34 PM
damm I was looking forward to this years show in adelaide. As the last three I had to work that w/end and could not attend. I for one will be upset as I wanted to go. I checked last night but could not find any info on this years shows:((:((
Regards Michael

missionaryman
22nd February 2009, 08:59 PM
I was really looking forward to this year's show as I'm finally out of the industry and could roam free as an attendee not someone looking after a stand, I set a reminder to take time off work to go on all 3 days and it looks like Sydney show is still unconfirmed and may not be happening.

KevM
22nd February 2009, 09:42 PM
I was really looking forward to this year's show as I'm finally out of the industry and could roam free as an attendee not someone looking after a stand, I set a reminder to take time off work to go on all 3 days and it looks like Sydney show is still unconfirmed and may not be happening.

:hmm: It's on their website (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=sydney) with a date :question:

missionaryman
22nd February 2009, 09:51 PM
:hmm: It's on their website (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=sydney) with a date :question:

that's unbelievable, I had their old site bookmarked - or at least I think it's their old website, the one linked from carbatec and it showed an unconfirmed date of June but now doesn't even work.
Thanks for their link.

China
22nd February 2009, 10:32 PM
Interesting I was told over the phone that there would not be a show in Adelaide in 2009

KevM
22nd February 2009, 10:41 PM
Interesting I was told over the phone that there would not be a show in Adelaide in 2009
Details (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=adelaide)on the Adelaide show in 2010.

KevM
22nd February 2009, 10:44 PM
that's unbelievable, I had their old site bookmarked - or at least I think it's their old website, the one linked from carbatec and it showed an unconfirmed date of June but now doesn't even work.
Thanks for their link.

DMG sold the Shows just prior to the Canberra Show last September. Their website with the wood show details is only a relatively recent arrival.

wheelinround
23rd February 2009, 09:48 AM
Like Mic-d I have heard that 3 companies have pulled out for this years Sydney show, cost factor being the major component.

So from this will we see a major Manufactures Show and a Working with Wood show evolve :roll:

jimbur
23rd February 2009, 10:47 AM
I've been reading this thread with my mouth hanging open. The costs quoted seem incredible. My first thought is that we're paying for these costs through our purchases and my second thought was "Why capital cities?"
Admittedly I've an ulterior motive in that I hate driving in big cities these days but wouldn't it be possible for the big shows to move out to some of the country centres?
There are plenty of big agricultural and other shows outside the main cities which have sites which surely could cope with large crowds. Surely these venues would welcome extra income.
Think how much easier it would be to persuade the family to come on a drive up-country and just happen to take in a woodworking show when you get there!:D
Jim

Ben from Vic.
23rd February 2009, 11:06 AM
"Why capital cities?"
Admittedly I've an ulterior motive in that I hate driving in big cities these days but wouldn't it be possible for the big shows to move out to some of the country centres?

Jim

It'd be interesting to do the math of the reduced turnout Vs. the reduced cost

Obviously Shepparton would be the regional centre of chioce for Vic.:rolleyes:

jimbur
24th February 2009, 07:42 AM
It'd be interesting to do the math of the reduced turnout Vs. the reduced cost

Obviously Shepparton would be the regional centre of chioce for Vic.:rolleyes:

And there's me thinking of Bendigo or Ballarat:D
Jim

missionaryman
25th February 2009, 06:01 AM
I think you're definitely on to something there and I think Ubeaut should host the show and set the ticket pricing.
Not many players out there in the industry who are not taking notice of these forums and not many end users who are not in some way aware either