PDA

View Full Version : Deck Sealing

Scooterscum
23rd May 2004, 04:39 PM
Hi guys, looking for some advice on what to seal a treated pine deck with. The deck is under cover and only receives about 3 hours of sun in the morning.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Simon

ozwinner
23rd May 2004, 04:52 PM
What do you wish to seal it from? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/animals/elephant.gif

Being treated pine it wont rot, well not real quick anyway, I think even TP will rot eventualy.
I painted mine with some brown deck seal, only because of the glare from the sun.
Al :)

Taffy
23rd May 2004, 09:31 PM
Simon,
The pine I should imagine will take on a mouldy appearance after a while, I have used a product called "wattle decking finish" it is 100% acrylic (galvanised nails are a must or spot prime wth an oil based primer) and is very good especially if the floor is under cover most of the time. It is very easy to put on and requires minimum preparation. Comes in various colours and is very hardwearing. I used this over a 20 year period in the Qld sun.
Taffy

Scooterscum
24th May 2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yes it's the mould issue that worries me. The last treated pine deck I did was still going strong when I sold house 5 years later, but always had a problem with dark mouldy stains on it.
I thought if I sealed it when new, I might avoid a bit of the problem.
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Simon

Trav
25th May 2004, 03:45 PM
Hey Scoot

I have the same problem with mould on my deck. I've built mine out of recycled hardwood, but I keep getting this black spotty stuff all over it, especially on the lower end (ie closer to the ground).

I've been told that you should clean the deck with a deck cleaning product (oxalic acid I think) BEFORE you oil/stain the deck. This is supposed to resolve the situation. However, I did this with the steps for my deck, and they still get this bloody black spots all over it.

my 5c worth

Trav

Taffy
25th May 2004, 10:25 PM
Guys a bit of advice, if you are putting a timber deck with minimum air flow and near the ground, you should oil prime the underneath to stop a build up of mould in the timber, (while it is new). the problems may not be from above but just as likely from within. The acid cleaning you mention will clean what is there but will not stop more arriving in the future, just ask the misses re the bathroom/shower. I would not waste time oiling pine outside, paint it and then a quick mop or brush will clear any spots off, Don't inderstand why the hardwood did the same thing, My deck was built with ironbark and it was fine for 20 years, it was pretty bloody dry where we were so this may be the difference.

Taffy