PDA

View Full Version : Almost there

ozwinner
23rd May 2004, 05:40 PM
Hi all
Here is the latest update for the drum sander I am making.
I have been busy else where so I havent had much time to get this thing finished.
I only have to build the dust shroud/guard, round off the drum, and wire the thing up.
Its all looking pretty smik.
If anyone wants to have a go when its finished, you are all welcome, just bring timber and beer.

Cheers, Al :)

bitingmidge
23rd May 2004, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty impressed with a bricky who can cut a dovetail AND weld!!!

Don't forget to post:

1) A break down of costs
2) Performance report

Also don't forget to tuck your tie into your shirt when you are using it, I have seen terrible accidents almost happen with plan printers in my youth, and they didn't have whizzing 36 grit drums!

Cheers,

P

Bob Willson
23rd May 2004, 06:52 PM
I would certainly like to have a go on it Al, the only problem is thatI can't get down there to play with it. Could you please send it to me in Brisbane so that I can try it out and I will send it straight back when I have finished?

journeyman Mick
23rd May 2004, 10:49 PM
.......Also don't forget to tuck your tie into your shirt when you are using it.......
P

Do you mean to say that you unbutton your suit jacket whilst in the workshop? Such a slovenly casual dress code in the workshop is a sad reminder of the general moral decay of our society. :D

Mick

Wood Borer
24th May 2004, 09:40 AM
In a recent post elsewhere, Ozwinner informed us he is in the habit of being naked so it won't be his tie he has to be careful of - ouch.

- Wood Borer

himzol
24th May 2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Al,

Great job, I've just been looking at the previous thread on this subject and was wondering if you could post the pics again as they seem to have disappeared.

regards,

Himzo

ozwinner
24th May 2004, 05:42 PM
Here ya go.
Ive had a total rejig on this thing, it started off on an old desk we had, now it lives on its own bench.
Lucky little drum. :)

Piccy one shows the bearing block adjusters, piccy two is the height winder thingy, just some thread and a nut or two.
Ill get more detailed ones when its all done.

Al

himzol
24th May 2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks Al,

I couldn't remember how you did the hieght adjustment, looks from the pics like a simple canterlever arangment. I'm hopeing to start a similar project soon if time and "other forces" allow.

regards,

Himzo.

ozwinner
24th May 2004, 06:08 PM
Hi

Ill try to get some more piccys tomorrow.

Al :)

Sir Stinkalot
24th May 2004, 08:19 PM
Al,

I can understand the timber but wouldn't the beer wet the paper and reduce its preformance?

ozwinner
25th May 2004, 02:33 PM
It raises the grain so you get a smoother finish. :rolleyes:

Al

ozwinner
25th May 2004, 03:10 PM
More piccys.
What ever you weld your nuts too :oY:o , make sure that there is no flex.
I used steam pipe to start with, but then I had to weld a stiffener to it to stop the bounce as you wind it, or as the drum spins.
Next time I would use 25x50x3 rhs.
I think I need to get a stronger motor, this one is off my mixer, it runs at 1440 rpm, but I dont know how powerful it is, but I havent tryed it out properly yet.

Al :)

Bob Willson
25th May 2004, 03:18 PM
It's Official, I've got a Gold Member :cool:
Yes Al, and we all know how it got that way. If you don't stop it you'll catch some nasty disease.

ozwinner
29th May 2004, 05:25 PM
Some more piccy.
One of how to sand the drum round, which is a lot harder than you think, or its taking longer than I thought it would.
One more from underneath.
Ive got to finish the pulley guard, which is drying at the moment ( glue ).
And then its done. Whoooooo.

Id like to thank my mum and dad........................... wrong speach again.

Id like to thank Sturdee for the plans, although I did modify it slightly :D , and the insperation.

Cheers, Al

Sturdee
29th May 2004, 05:40 PM
Well done Al, it looks a great machine.

The only sad thing is that, although I collected these plans many many years ago, I still have not had the time to build one myself and you beat me to it. Ah well, soon I'll have my finishing room instead. :D

Peter.

ozwinner
30th May 2004, 02:14 PM
Well its done, apart from painting it orange, just where do you buy that orange paint from Peter?

I tryed it out with 60 grit paper to start with, whooooooh, man thats aggresive, but it would take rough stock down no worrys with out planeing.
Next I tryed 200 grit, comes out as smooth as a babys bum.
I used it on curley grained stuff, with no tearout.

Like I said before, if you want to have a go, you are more than welcome.
Dont forget the beer and timber, in that order. :D
Maybe I could have an open day? :D

Ohh yeah, I fixed the paper with staples, one more joy of the timber drum.
And it can sand from 6mm to 85mm, and up to 590mm wide.

Al

bitingmidge
30th May 2004, 05:09 PM
just where do you buy that orange paint from
I reckon it's time to join the big boys old chap.

Paint it antique white and pull out the red and black textas, a black/red/black stripe all the way round, and the word "Jet" on the side should do wonders!

I used to turn $5.00 wrap around sunnies into Oakleys for all the girls once, with a bit of office white-out correcting stuff and a 000 artists brush....could have made a fortune if it wasn't done for love!

P

Sturdee
30th May 2004, 05:31 PM
... just where do you buy that orange paint from Peter?

At Bunnies, pm me if you want the code.

Peter.

bitingmidge
30th May 2004, 10:04 PM
At Bunnies, pm me if you want the code.

Nooo don't do it!!!...PM ME, and I'll email you the JET artwork!!!!! :D :D :D

P

forge
15th August 2004, 12:15 PM
Hi,would really appreciate having a chat about & look at the sander?I live at Kinglake
I'm about to embark on an extensive home renovation project , usin a lot of recycled timber.Need to build me a thickness sander.
Regards ,Bela .

ozwinner
15th August 2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Forge

PM me, and we'll make a time to suit each other.

Al