PDA

View Full Version : 10mm slabs

Stopper
19th February 2009, 05:52 PM
Something a bit different. Customer requested 10mm slabs for resawing into strips for canoes. The log was about 50cm diameter. Managed to get 30 slabs at 10mm and a couple of 40mm slabs through the heart. Kerf is only 3mm but still produced a lot of sawdust.
Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. (Dark wet day inside the shed using a phone camera).

cheers
Steve

weisyboy
19th February 2009, 06:39 PM
noice.

why did the want slabs and noy boards?

Stopper
19th February 2009, 07:11 PM
He can now thickness the slabs to the final size (6mm I think) then rip them into 75x10 or 50x10 on his workshop sawbench with less waste. I haven't seen the set up but it sounds like a good way to do it.

cheers
Steve

BobL
19th February 2009, 08:21 PM
What sort of timber was it, and was it green or dry?

Sigidi
20th February 2009, 11:01 AM
yeah I'd like to know what tree it came from too?

Looks really good seeing them splayed out like cards, don't normally get the chance to see that.

Stopper
20th February 2009, 07:21 PM
The log was paulownia. Felled 18mths ago but still quite green. It comes of the bandsaw nice and clean but can be woolly over the bench.

cheers
Steve

BobL
20th February 2009, 07:46 PM
The log was paulownia. Felled 18mths ago but still quite green. It comes of the bandsaw nice and clean but can be woolly over the bench.

cheers
Steve

Hopefully it will be OK, especially seeing as it was felled 18 months ago. I've seen 12 mm slabs turn virtually into crinkle cuts after just a couple of months from some trees.

Stopper
20th February 2009, 08:28 PM
Hopefully it will be OK, especially seeing as it was felled 18 months ago. I've seen 12 mm slabs turn virtually into crinkle cuts after just a couple of months from some trees.

Paulownia will be OK. I've cut 3 and 5mm slices that are dry in a matter of days and stay straight. Very little shrinkage or distortion. I can't understand why it's not being used everywhere for non structural work - panelling etc.

Cheers
Steve

BobL
20th February 2009, 08:44 PM
Paulownia will be OK. I've cut 3 and 5mm slices that are dry in a matter of days and stay straight. Very little shrinkage or distortion. I can't understand why it's not being used everywhere for non structural work - panelling etc.

Thanks - that's good to know - might be getting access to a tree soon!

nifty
21st February 2009, 08:06 PM
having done some trial cutting on a large plantation i had to cut some at 6mm and 8mm, they were then hung as if on a clothes line and steamed every twenty four hours for a few days. Cut on the quarter was more successful than back sawn. It is a technique they is in China when they make veneers for traditional coffins apparently.

Karl Seahouse
1st March 2009, 02:46 PM
Just a short note, I am the paulownia tree grower that supplies Stoppers mill.If you would like to know more about this timber contact me on www.empresstreesaustralia.com (http://www.empresstreesaustralia.com)