PDA

View Full Version : painted furniture yuk!!!!!!!!!!!

chowcini
19th February 2009, 07:53 PM
I have a friend that is looking at using a faux finish (two tone) or crackling on some pine furniture and was wondering if anyone has experience in this matter, cheers :?

Claw Hama
19th February 2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, you should shoot him without delay and hang is body out for others as a warning.

chowcini
19th February 2009, 08:35 PM
:Dyeah capped his ass ,but still would like any ideas any???

Claw Hama
19th February 2009, 08:42 PM
Porters Paints made in Sydney and often distributed through Bristol stores have some of those products, I think. Antique crackle, waxed finishes and may do a two tone thing.

toolbagsPLUS
19th February 2009, 08:49 PM
Hey anything that cover-up pine is a good thing.

Jo Sonya has a great range of paint and crackle finishes available at Bunnings. I have used then in the past to great effect for different finishes.

If you are ever in Sydney and visit the Old house of the great explorer Wentworth "Valcluse House" look at the skirting boards throughout the entire house they are Faux finish "English Oak grain, very effective thought disappointing that that it is not real oak.:~

It requires skill and attention to detail and is an art form in itself.:)

Cheers

Steve

Woodwould
19th February 2009, 11:05 PM
I've had good success with animal glue and matt emulsion paint for restoring crackle paint finishes. I start with a base colour, then a very dilute brush coat of glue followed by the top colour before the glue fully dries.

Horsecroft88
19th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Hey toolbags if you mean Radiata pine I would agree but if you are referring to Huon, Karui, Baltic, Kingbilly, Celary or other such pine I would totally disagree. These pines are superb timbers and if treated properly have a fantastic appearance and should be exposed, never painted IMO. So I agree with the other comments. Dave