PDA

View Full Version : A matching set of Salt and Pepper shakers

Willy Nelson
19th February 2009, 11:44 PM
Evening All
Hopefully I have successfully attached a photo of a set of Salt and Pepper shakers I made for Mum for Xmas. The wood is Jarrah and the finish is Danish oil.
I found the first one somewhat challenging with the various steps, but the second had to match as well which made it that much more difficult. Obviously Mum is very happy with her salt and pepper shakers (she really only wanted a pepper grinder, but who has ever heard of such crazy talk) and now thinks of her talented son every time she uses them.:2tsup:
Regards
Willy

Ed Reiss
20th February 2009, 01:26 AM
Willy, you did a splendid job:2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
20th February 2009, 08:04 AM
I'm quite taken with the forms of them. I want to make a set for my Mother In Law and I think that looks just perfect... Nice work!

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
20th February 2009, 12:11 PM
very nice! Now I want a set! :)

macca2
20th February 2009, 01:06 PM
Well done Willy. Jarrah always looks nice
Macca

dai sensei
20th February 2009, 03:52 PM
Well done Willy :2tsup:

Calm
20th February 2009, 05:05 PM
Well done willy, i keep making the first of a set - what i mean is i make one and when i try to copy it something goes wrong and it becomes the first of another set.

Great job. nice looking bit of wood too:2tsup:

old pete
20th February 2009, 05:21 PM
Nice job Willie. They are virtually identical to a line I make commercially except the bottom most element in mine is about 10mm greater in length. You know how you get almost perfect pairs:rolleyes: ?. Well you work carefully to a dimensioned drawing to do the very best job you can on each and you make about 40 in a run. Then you pick up number one and you work along the line until you match it pretty well then you grab another one and do the same again. Your mother's opinion of your cleverness would know no bounds if you presented her with 20 pairs

If you make a blunder when turning, and I try hard not to, or find a timber fault that limits your options then you set that one aside and make another to match.

I make a lot more peppers than salt and pepper pairs. Lots of folk only want a pepper mill.

A little tip with those grinder mechs. you have. If you buy the 10 " one you can reduce it to any shorter length to suit your designs by cutting off the excess on the square profile shaft and then reproducing the flat bit on the end by crushing the square rod a bit in an engineering vice. You can really speed up making mills with the addition of two tools to your armoury. If interested E mail me for detail. Old Pete

Sawdust Maker
20th February 2009, 09:56 PM
nice pair:2tsup::2tsup:

old pete
thanks for the comments, filed away

Oeistein
21st February 2009, 06:37 AM
Very nice salt and pepper grinders willy.
Jarra is really nice wood indeed.

artme
21st February 2009, 09:21 AM
Grayts tuphph Willy!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

If Eliza wants a pair she is good enough with a gouge to make her own! Just send her the Jarrah.:D:p:p:p

orraloon
21st February 2009, 08:10 PM
Willy,
Nice set of grinders. As you have discovered matching is the hard bit. I often use the excuse that you have to be able to tell the salt and pepper apart so they are a bit different.
Regards
John

munruben
21st February 2009, 09:22 PM
Looks great:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
23rd February 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the comments (esp Old Pete) Good advice.
I did know that you can adjust the length of the grinder, as I turned my 0.5cm to short, cut the shaft, and flattened it in a vice and filed it to shape.
orraloon (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=14893)
There are subtle differences in the Salt/Pepper grinders
Plastic for Salt, Metal for pepper
white spot for salt, black spot for pepper
and of course smell.
Cheers
Willy