PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle wood show 2009

Ashore
20th February 2009, 12:12 PM
On today and this weekend , is anyone going ? I would suggest the ouside coffee shop 12 to 12.30 on saturday and sunday for any intrestered in a meet and coffee .
Rgds
Russell

Jim Carroll
20th February 2009, 12:49 PM
Hope you have a good weekend, and the rain stays away.

Greg Ward
20th February 2009, 01:50 PM
Make sure you say Hi to Mal at Boutique Timbers.
He's been stuck in the floods early in the week, all the timber he was planning got saturated, he couldn't thickness the boards and it took 2 tractors to get the truck up the hill to where he could drive to the show.
He'll be glad to be in civilization.... now that's a big call.
Have a great show
Regards
Greg

ss_11000
20th February 2009, 05:01 PM
gday russell.

i'm in sydney all day tommorrow. and Dad just got admitted to hospital so i dont think there is any chance i will be there on sunday either.

hope you have a good time.

cheers

Ashore
20th February 2009, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear the stirlo , hope he's ok,
Rgds

ss_11000
20th February 2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear the stirlo , hope he's ok,
Rgds
he should be fine:-,

i might see what grandad is doing on sunday:hmm:

wheelinround
20th February 2009, 06:29 PM
Went today great show light on with vendors it was a nice sunny day.

The Hunter display was well worth a look some outstanding works :2tsup:

saw Mal and some of his great timbers :2tsup:

Trend Timbers Adrian & Andrew

Addictive Pens Bret

MWE Ryan

ss_11000
20th February 2009, 06:39 PM
Went today great show light on with vendors it was a nice sunny day.

The Hunter display was well worth a look some outstanding works :2tsup:

saw Mal and some of his great timbers :2tsup:

Trend Timbers Adrian & Andrew

Addictive Pens Bret

MWE Ryan

is it worth going to - especially if you dont plan on spending any money:?

wheelinround
20th February 2009, 06:44 PM
is it worth going to - especially if you dont plan on spending any money:?

I spent $23 on some HSS blanks fro Gary Pye sorry forgot to mention he was there also.
LOML spent $180 in the Quilt fair side.:doh:

The gate entry fee would be your answer to that Stirlo weighed against not spending also the $5 parking fee.

chris pedersen
20th February 2009, 08:06 PM
To be honest......!!!! I thought it was a rip off, I asked IF there was some things for guitar builders.....orhh yes plenty...it must have been undercover, it was like paying $12.00
to buy a carton of milk, what a lot of huha.
OK for pen makers and wood turners thats it, but I'm neither !!!
Sorry about the negative feed, but I DID asked before I went ...and .......
No brand name like Sydney or Melbourne this show that Newcastle is still a small town in this respect.
Tzenhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon8.gif
Hope you have a good weekend, and the rain stays away.

Hardenfast
20th February 2009, 08:39 PM
Thought I might take a quick drive up for a look around. Could someone advise where it's situated?

Edit - OK, found it. Newcastle Entertainment Centre - Broadmeadow.

Thanks. Wayne

wheelinround
20th February 2009, 08:49 PM
Chris for a joint venture between the Quilter/crafters and Hunter Woodies gate price isn't to bad compared to Sydney where you only get one show while the other is on elsewhere.

Vendors costs without their stand price no matter where its held is what is blowing it for them showing up. This is besides Gestapo Insurance co's who have to have their cut.

Those that showed up to Newcastle need praising I hope the weekend improves got to be less schoolies for sure.

I reckon its time they find a large paddock somewhere like they do at Gunnedah Ag-Quip cut the entry fee and stall fee's.

Chris maybe next year you can do a stand and show how to make guitars

ss_11000
20th February 2009, 09:50 PM
I spent $23 on some HSS blanks fro Gary Pye sorry forgot to mention he was there also.
LOML spent $180 in the Quilt fair side.:doh:

The gate entry fee would be your answer to that Stirlo weighed against not spending also the $5 parking fee.

well, i'll see what grandad is up to but, yeah, it doesnt sound very good this year:(

arose62
20th February 2009, 10:46 PM
Went today, and thought it was smaller than last year.
Took SWMBO, and she had to fight her way in to the craft show, and then fight her way out again. The Craft side was PACKED.

Lots of schoolies (mostly girls) on Friday, and they were all in the craft side.

Spent $0 (apart from petrol, plus $5 to park, $14 each to get in, and the usual food rip-off inside)

Cheers,
Andrew

Strungout
21st February 2009, 05:54 AM
To be honest......!!!! I thought it was a rip off, I asked IF there was some things for guitar builders.....orhh yes plenty...it must have been undercover, it was like paying $12.00
to buy a carton of milk, what a lot of huha.
OK for pen makers and wood turners thats it, but I'm neither !!!
Sorry about the negative feed, but I DID asked before I went ...and .......
No brand name like Sydney or Melbourne this show that Newcastle is still a small town in this respect.
Tzenhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

I kind of agree with Chris,except the $12.00 didn't really concern me as the other half was going to the Quilt show,and it was definatly better than waiting around in the car.

I managed to have a look around the Wood show in less than an 1/2 hour but hung around for the whole day as it was too hot for a snooze in the car:~

I was dissapointed in the show,but was probably expecting a bit much.

Greg

wheelinround
21st February 2009, 08:24 AM
There was another few stands there plenty wood slabbers outside

Then there was this strange stand with these Green Festering power tools they were so green they had started to go black in places obviously VEK tools need to look into this infection.

Farm boy
21st February 2009, 07:36 PM
did anyone who went to the show see any cordless drills on special please :D as mine is due to be replaced and thought there might be some show specials

Strungout
21st February 2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Farmboy,

I think the only place selling power tools was VEK Tools.They did have some AEG gear there but I am not sure of the prices.

Greg

Dorno
21st February 2009, 08:43 PM
Hello All

went to the wood show yesterday myself and although only new at this stuff i was impressed at some of the things available there. I have started by tring to make pens as a beginer and have had dificulty in getting some different blanks. I admit I am new at this but i found some of the so called smaller guys better to deal with (they had time for me) I think one was called addictive pens with heaps of stuff to sell and also i got some really nice blanks and burls for what i thought was a good price from 043 turning so it looks like i am set for awhile now

Cheers Ian

Farm boy
21st February 2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Greg
thanks for that tip about VEK tools i will check them out tommorow

Scally
23rd February 2009, 08:58 AM
I must have went to the other show.
Went over early Friday morning and stole some nice dark blackwood off Mal. Then let him borrow my Qld maple snapper for the weekend because he found the figured board for me.
Rustins Danish oil and bocote? epoxy from Trend.
A couple of gold plated track clamps from Vek.

Had to go back Saturday to help a friend load a few boards from Mal - silky oak and two 4m cedar boards for a crazy cheap price. I added a Kauri pine wide board to my list, for drawer backs and sides.

Sunday I took my African mate along with some of my drums and we annoyed the woodies for a while. Rob who had the Agave didgeridoos joined us for a while.
The metal bending guys offerred to make the drum rings for me and invited us down to Bendigo to help the local who are trying to learn african drumming.

Peter had a lot of burls and turning blanks and is on the lookout for more Padauk for my marimbas.
Vek had a Protool circular saw for $99 but I have a circular saw.
Rodger had his usual Gifkin jig demos and stand that were always well attended.

Mr Mogi had heaps of sandpaper and some of is brass.

The gate keepers let me park at the front gate to load and unload and didn't charge me to go in and collect.

I had a great time.

Ashore
23rd February 2009, 10:24 AM
Yesterday was good , a couple more stalls than last year in the wood section :2tsup:
Greg got your call , didn't see any cordless specials , what are you after ? whats the price range ?

Farm boy
23rd February 2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Russell
man i have some serious cleaning out to do in the shed:D i would like a bosche up to $80 to $100 , as i got a $50 gift voucher of my brother for bunnings and its the only thing i realy need