PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Mirrors in Timber Frames

mat
24th May 2004, 09:13 AM
There seems to be quite a few methods of mounting mirrors in timber frames from hold in a groove to using silicone to using rubber strips similar to those used in aluminium window frames.
Any thoughts about pros/cons of various methods? :confused:

drago
24th May 2004, 11:29 AM
hi Mat

I use framing backing nails that I push into the side of the frame similar to picture framing. This allows the wood to move but not crack the frame.

cheers

drago

Bob Willson
24th May 2004, 03:09 PM
Slot mounting is not a good idea. If the glass should break at any time in the future then the frame would need to be broken to replace the glass.

silentC
24th May 2004, 03:27 PM
Depends on the situation but I like to use a ply back to protect the back of the mirror. If it get's scratched, it will show through the front. I make a rebate around the inside of the frame to take the mirror and then make the back half an inch bigger all round than the mirror and fix it to the frame once the mirror is in place. I saw someone do this the other day with a double rebate: one for the mirror and another shallower one for the back, so that the back is flush with the frame when fitted.

bitingmidge
24th May 2004, 04:04 PM
I would normally use the double rebate espoused by Silent, but in the ultimate "I may not be cheap but at least I'm rough" approach, I have a mirror already fitted on a fully tiled bathroom wall, and will shortly build a frame and stick it over the top with double sided tape. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

P