PDA

View Full Version : Tennis bat help!!!

Christopha
20th February 2009, 11:12 PM
Right!
Now it has, over the last few decades, been brought to my attention that my physique leaves a little to be desired....
Over the last month I have changed somewhat my dietary habits ( No bread, no pies, more green stuff etc) and I have taken up some hit and giggle type Tennis with friends.
Now! This Tennis stuff... I have never played tennis and I have been using a raquet my son used in Primary school. This is just a tad inadequate for myself, a 57 year old wrinkly with failing eyesight, failing legs and an inate lack of sporting type skills.
I decided I needed a decent "bat" so tonight I looked at Epay to see what sort of stuff is the go and blow me down and bugger me sideways there are measurements, weights, etc etc etc that I have no idea at all about.....

HELP!!!!!

RETIRED
2nd March 2009, 07:44 AM
Because of this:

a 57 year old wrinkly with failing eyesight, failing legs and an inate lack of sporting type skills.You need this:http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACWILSON-WBIGBALL.html

and this:YouTube - Giant tennis racquet

Wongo
2nd March 2009, 09:12 AM
Go to rebel sport, pick one that is around $300 to $400 and you'll all right.:2tsup:

Horsecroft88
23rd March 2009, 05:16 PM
Or K Mart and buy a cheap one for $50-100 as I did. Its fine for my level of lawn tennis. Which is completely hopeless but it is still fun, even when I get beaten by wifey :D

echnidna
23rd March 2009, 05:20 PM
Use a cricket racquet :D

boban
23rd March 2009, 05:37 PM
I own about 15 racquets and play every week. I've used a number of different brands and there is a huge difference between the cheap ones and the decent ones. You start to get decent ones at about $120.

If you want a good racquet at a reasonable price, I would buy a Babolat Contest Si. It's $149 at Rebel. Buy a mid plus head size and grip size to suit your hand.

If you are buying on Ebay, you have to be careful, there are a lot of fakes out there.

Christopha
23rd March 2009, 05:50 PM
Many thanks, Rebel sport is not an option, the nearest one I know of is in Geelong..... 400 odd kms away! I'm afraid I don't know about grip sizes but the mid sized head sounds fair enough. I shall just have to see what I can find in Mount Gambier I expect or maybe when I am in Adelaide some time.

Horsecroft88
23rd March 2009, 10:47 PM
I am sure Boban is correct re the difference between cheap raquets and better quality ones. Ditto I think a mid size one should do the trick. If I recall this is what mine is (albeit it was a cheapie).

However, try this on for size guys I also play another game of tennis, and thankfully somewhat better than lawn tennis, (referred as Real or Royal Tennis), a bit like squash, cricket but with the strategy of chess, and we use wooden raquets (hooray !!) not the oversized graphite ones of lawn tennis and there is really only one manufacturer (Grays from the UK). A base level raquet costs around $330 with a top line one now around $370. Oh and they break quite regularly. The shortest time one of mine lasted was 2 weeks !! Dave

prozac
28th April 2009, 02:55 PM
I would go down to Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul) or the Salvos store and see what they have. Failing that we have a council throw out on at the moment.