PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning is a Form of Insanity

Paul39
22nd February 2009, 11:50 AM
I was cutting and putting in firewood as cold, snow flurries, and rain are predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

Saw a piece of oak with wavy grain, cut out a chunk & saw spalting. Into the 40 deg. F. basement, no heat, holding 40 deg. tools, & roughed out a weed pot.

The piece also had rot along with the nice figure and spalting, can't find the CA glue, shaking like a leaf from cold.

Wrapped the piece in plastic and came in and ate supper.

Ruddy
22nd February 2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Paul.......Go back into the basement!.........You Tarheelers are supposed to be a hardy tenacious lot that can put up with all that cold weather...where is the pioneer spirit?? Next thing they will be calling you a wuz...
Ruddy

Paul39
22nd February 2009, 12:11 PM
Call me a wuz (wuss). High tomorrow is 33F., low tomorrow night is 18. Basement temperature is a few degrees above outside.

I have worked until my hands were numb. After a few catches, figured that was unproductive.

Should have 50s by Wednesday.

robutacion
22nd February 2009, 12:20 PM
I was cutting and putting in firewood as cold, snow flurries, and rain are predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

Saw a piece of oak with wavy grain, cut out a chunk & saw spalting. Into the 40 deg. F. basement, no heat, holding 40 deg. tools, & roughed out a weed pot.

The piece also had rot along with the nice figure and spalting, can't find the CA glue, shaking like a leaf from cold.

Wrapped the piece in plastic and came in and ate supper.

Hi Paul39,
Gees..., I can understand that we all do "crazy" stuff when timber is involved, as yes, it can look like "insanity" but I'm a strong believer that working with timber in various forms including wood-turning, is the only thing that keep some of us with some degree of "sanity!"

What you done with that piece of oak, was "prioritize"! there is, you went from preparing firewood to satisfy your curiosity with a little "gem" you found
on your wood pile, and turn it to expose its "goodies".
From splitting firewood to wood-turning, is not a big thing, but doing it with those extreme cold conditions in a not heated work-shed, well, one would call madness, I will call it dedication...!:D

So what have you done after supper?:o

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
22nd February 2009, 12:32 PM
Do you have a portable heater? :)

SawDustSniffer
22nd February 2009, 01:24 PM
cool :o,Extreme Turning :o i might go find a cliff to turn off
umm id love to be cold in the work shop , in the tropics saw dust sticks to sweat and is a bugger to get off ,

Ed Reiss
22nd February 2009, 01:33 PM
Woodturners ain't nuts, just a bit dizzy from watchin' the wood go round n round:o

ElizaLeahy
22nd February 2009, 01:37 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!

:youcrazy:

ihmserv
22nd February 2009, 02:01 PM
paul
i think you should come up to New England for a visit, I'd love those temps , today didn't get above freezing and tomorrow we get snow, icey rain and rain. all in one day. should be fun, oh its chilly.

IAN

terry arnold
22nd February 2009, 02:07 PM
I am glad to here I am not the only one who suffers this form of insanity
( just can't stand to see promising looking timber go into the fire )

Stay warm
terry

rodent
24th February 2009, 01:37 PM
Paul i'm thinking you should have wrapped yourself up in the plastic instead of the weed pot then you would be at least a bit warmer .:D:doh: The things we do ?