PDA

View Full Version : The humble tool handle

badgaz
22nd February 2009, 10:16 PM
Howdy good folks,

I've been away quite awhile, what with Xmas, the dreaded return to work, the long hours and busy weekends, the lathe has gathered more dust than sawdust.

To right the wrong, I bit the bullet this weekend and started my investment in quality chisels. CT ACT were clearing some unhandled tools before the inevitable price rise.
I walked out with a 25mm skew, an 8 mm spindle and a 6mm bowl guouge, still not exactly cheap, but I could have spent the same money on one high quality roughing gouge so I'm happy.

To celebrate the occaision I turned my first tool handle using my crumby cheapies for what will be the last few times...still have to get a decent roughing gouge and a few other things.

Handle is rosewood, the finish is lemon oil. The smell from the cut wood is exquisite. I've used lemon oil on the fingerboards of my guitars for years so it should be okay. A hard glossy finish just didn't seem to be right for this application.

Some may think the handle is a little big for the spindle gouge (12" long), but for my hands it just perfect.

It's so good to be back at the lathe and learning again.

Regards Gazza

Claw Hama
22nd February 2009, 10:53 PM
Nice Gaz, that looks like very light coloured Rosewood or is it just the flash? Lemon oil sounds nice I will have to get some to try.

badgaz
22nd February 2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks Hama

Yep, it certainly is light compared to the deep brown on some of my guitar fingerboards, but the smell is unmistakable. The stock has some dark bands going through it, and theres a piece with some nice figure in it which I'll keep for something special later...perhaps it's sonokeling (sp.) East Indian Rosewood?

Cheers
Gazza

hughie
22nd February 2009, 11:53 PM
Some may think the handle is a little big for the spindle gouge (12" long), but for my hands it just perfect.

Gazza,

If it fits your hand then its perfect.:U well done :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
23rd February 2009, 12:23 AM
Hello Gazza
You did a real nice job on the handles, I like the wood, but have never heard of the lemon oil
I too have made some long handles and feel I have greater control when turning, especially roughing down.
The whole point of making an individual handle is to be.........Individual
Regards
Willy

ElizaLeahy
23rd February 2009, 08:34 AM
Nice one.

I like the stripes at the end!

Ed Reiss
23rd February 2009, 01:16 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:

badgaz
24th February 2009, 11:23 PM
You should be able to source it from a musical instrument store.

Thanks all for the encouragement ...

more handles will follow.

Gazza

Sawdust Maker
25th February 2009, 07:56 PM
Nice pickup
I agree with all the other comments on handles - you make them to fit your hands
So good job

artme
26th February 2009, 12:03 PM
Nice one badgaz.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like making tool handles, especially for myself. That way I have nobody to blame but myself if they they are wrong'ns.