PDA

View Full Version : trailer build

bobsreturn2003
23rd February 2009, 12:41 PM
looking at building a tandem trailer to cary a tractor gross weight 2tons what size would i need for frame? 100mm or 150mm? a good place to purchase parts qld any plans , detail welcome . thanks bob

Yonnee
23rd February 2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Bob.

Couple of questions.
Is the trailer specifically going to be used for vehicle carrying, or as a multi-purpose trailer capable of hauling a load of dirt, gravel, manure, etc.? (Reason being, a 'vehicle only' trailer is a little easier to build.)

What are you towing this trailer with? This will have an impact on what brakes you need to setup on both the trailer and any tow vehicles. With the trailers capacity over the 2000Kg mark, you're required to have a braking system that applies its own brakes in the event that the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle while in transit (Break-away). There's a few options for this (Vaccum, Air or Electric), each with their own pros and cons, but Electric being by far the cheapest, and most common.

What's your skill level?
What's your confidence level?
A complete novice who's still learning to weld, would be a concern to me, being a fellow road user, building a 2500Kg missile.
Where as a qualified boiler maker doesn't need me, or anyone else, telling them what they already know.

Have a read through Dazzler's build (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=62544) and mine (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=64389), for some tips and hints, particularly with the attachment of the drawbar.

And for a 2500Kg trailer, 75 x 50 x 3.0mm RHS for the chassis, would be more than plenty. Most professionally built car carriers are made from alot less. Get a length of 100 x 50 x 3.0mm for the drawbar though. A trailer I built for a customer out of 100 x 50 chassis, was to a capacity of 4000Kg!

Hopefully this helped in some way.

Yonnee.

:2tsup:

bobsreturn2003
24th February 2009, 08:59 AM
hi will be using for logs as well as tractor transport . have good metalworking welding skills .will try to keep to the 2000 kg so i brake one axle . found the price for a new trailer a little high. the parts are expensive , what do you like for brakes? thanks for your interest bob

dazzler
24th February 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Bob

I would set it up for dual brakes with a brake away system given you dont know the exact load each time and you are pushing the limits anyway. Saves prison time in the event of an accident and adds value for resale later.

good luck

dazzler

Yonnee
24th February 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Bob.

OK. The weight factor is determined by the tractor itself. The trailer could be up to the 700Kg mark empty, so this will mean if the tractor weighs more than 1300Kg, you'll be over the breakaway weight.

Electric brake are always going to be my recommendation for any trailer that requires brakes. Simply due to the fact that they're a far superior braking system than any over-ride, and you can upgrade them to 4 wheeled brakes fairly easily, as well as add breakaway if you feel the need.

As Dazzler said, it's a good idea to set it up for 4 wheel brakes anyway. Even if you order 1 x Braked axle and 1 x Un-braked axle, but with the Electric mounts, then adding the second set is a bolt on job.

jatt
24th February 2009, 07:27 PM
As Dazzler said, it's a good idea to set it up for 4 wheel brakes anyway. Even if you order 1 x Braked axle and 1 x Un-braked axle, but with the Electric mounts, then adding the second set is a bolt on job.

Now there is a top idea.:2tsup:. Wiring electric up is a piece of cake, even if u wanna add the second set later on.

bobsreturn2003
4th March 2009, 03:31 PM
finally got the tractor . carried home on hire trailer- no brakes thats the last time from them . good trip . but think the double electric may be the way to go . their chasis was 75x50 and handled the weight fine . now to see what size will suit . cheers bob