PDA

View Full Version : A question for the mods

Grumpy John
23rd February 2009, 09:00 PM
Not wanting to bog down the system with too many photos, is there a max. # of pictures allowed per post? Also is there a cutoff point where too many pictures in a thread slows things down too much?

watson
23rd February 2009, 09:17 PM
Sometimes it may be better to split the thread into a few posts.......making it easier to view, especially for those that are still on dial-up.
We have had two occassions where pics on a thread did slow the whole forum down.
There will be an answer to your question shortly.

Hang in there

aak
23rd February 2009, 09:18 PM
Not wanting to bog down the system with too many photos, is there a max. # of pictures allowed per post? Also is there a cutoff point where too many pictures in a thread slows things down too much?

Hi John,

I hope there is no cut off point. Pictures can tell more than a thousand words do. In some post there are no pictures and it would be very helpful if they were there with the post. Just see the posts where pics are requested to be posted.

The pictures certainly do not slow my computer down. Are you on a slow internet connection, hence your question?

Regards
Andy

Grumpy John
23rd February 2009, 09:27 PM
............Are you on a slow internet connection, hence your question?

Regards
Andy

Andy
No, but I can recall a couple of times, as Watson said, that the forum was bogged down to a crawl because of excessive pictures. As I have a thread in mind that could end up with a lot of pictures being posted I didn't want to start this thread if it was going to cause problems.

Robomanic
23rd February 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reminder John, I posted one yesterday that might have been a lottle bit bit heavy. I am interested to see the response too...

KUTGW Mods.

Grumpy John
23rd February 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reminder John, I posted one yesterday that might have been a lottle bit bit heavy. I am interested to see the response too...

KUTGW Mods.

I found your chunky coffee table WIP very interesting Shannon. :2tsup:

Robomanic
23rd February 2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks, it's one of those roundtoits that SWMBO was promised a long time ago and I'm enjoying finally doing something about it.

robutacion
24th February 2009, 01:20 AM

Hi GJ,

You make a very valid point, one that I've been trying to address for some time...!
I don't really need to point out others examples, as I have enough on my own, with one particular thread losing "all" its pics (about 60), one of the threads I believe, being one of the 2 threads where slow down problems were experienced.

I am one of the forum members that uses pics as part of the thread/post explanation/validation, and constantly seeking for advice on how to void problems with this option.
I am also more interested in find out of any new updates or forum software improvements when dealing with future large(r) number of pics and this particular issue then re-visiting old issues!

I will therefore, take particular attention to its development.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

joe greiner
24th February 2009, 10:27 PM
If I told you, I would have to shoot you. (Only kidding, of course; I'm not a mod.)

But here's a tuppence or so:

I haven't posted pictures for a while. And the rules may have changed with the recent upgrade.

Some folks may still be on dialup.

Threads will be easier to follow, if they're broken into separate "chapters." Please organize beforehand. The first post (chapter) of a thread, and until before the last, can conclude with something like "More to follow," to discourage intermittent posts. Intermittent posts won't necessarily derail the train of thought, though.

Blank lines between paragraphs add only two bytes (CR/LF) to the file size. They make things easier to read.

Rename your picture files to assist browsing for upload. Sequential numbering works best for me. Also, put each "chapter" in a separate folder on your hard drive. Your organization doesn't have to be the equivalent of a PhD dissertation, just good journalism. Piling a tonne and a half of pictures into a single post is actually harder to read.

Cheers,
Joe