PDA

View Full Version : Look wot LOML brung me

Grumpy John
23rd February 2009, 09:20 PM
LOML arrived home from work today with a bootload of timber she found on a nature strip near her work. Of course the piecas were totally useless for bowl blanks so I cut them into blocks between 100mm and 130mm square then dipped them in wax. I hope to be able to get some nice lidded containers and/or pencil pots from this haul.

LOML thinks the tree could have been a Liquid Amber as there were branches with leaves very similar to LA also on the nature strip. Anyone out there care to confirm or correct this?

Robomanic
23rd February 2009, 09:29 PM
Nice haul, so nice of SWMBO to contribute to your obsession.

(like the fry-pan. I have exactly the same type used for exactly the same job :) )

robutacion
24th February 2009, 01:37 AM
Hi GJ

I reckon, your SWMBO has a very good chance of being right! I collected recently one full branch of LA (max diam. about 8") from a tree that wasn't as mature as the one you got there (size of the trunk) and the bark and timber characteristics look similar. Shame that the logs were a little "short" for bowl blanks but, you still manage a fair bit of wood!

I can't recall if my wife has done the same before or not but, she will be perfectly capable of doing something like that!:D and that in any bloke's language, is a nice thing...!:;

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
24th February 2009, 03:48 AM
...well GJ, now you have to do something nice for her, like, maybe those diamond earrings she's always wanted!!!:U

Ad de Crom
24th February 2009, 04:53 AM
GJ, always nice having a cooperating LOML, do she expect something from you?
Nice wood for small boxes like you suggest.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
24th February 2009, 08:42 AM
Wish LOML would be so considerate!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ozkaban
24th February 2009, 09:13 AM
Looks like liquid amber to me. I have a row of them in front of my place - the bark looks right.

Nice haul by the way. There is a tree lopper on my way home from work who often dumps logs on the nature strip. 90% of the time it's pine though... Normally I just watch for fuirewood, but I'll have to watch a little closer next time!

cheers,
Dave

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 11:39 AM
Looks like liquid amber to me. I have a row of them in front of my place - the bark looks right.

cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave :2tsup::2tsup:.

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 05:03 PM
..........do she expect something from you?

always!!

munruben
24th February 2009, 05:12 PM
Nice haul.:2tsup: