PDA

View Full Version : worms in cedar

ralphtaff
24th February 2009, 01:05 AM
what do you use to get worms out of cedar after you turn a bowl and discover live worms in it. at this time they are dorment but after it gets warm wow what will happen when those little buggers wake up? told the wife and she shuddered and said find a way to get rid of the worms before you bring them in the house and will they invade my other trees if you ignore them in the stock that you have? when she was a little girl her grandfather worked with a lot of cedar and she never seen any worms come out but she does not know how he got rid of them.

SawDustSniffer
24th February 2009, 02:11 AM
Nuke um
put it in the microwave for 1min , that'll stuff'm , then pollish:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
24th February 2009, 03:52 AM
hmmmmm....never had the problem of them staying in the wood. Centrifugal force always gave them an E-Ticket ride straight onto my faceshield:o

Like SDS said...nuke the buggers!

ElizaLeahy
24th February 2009, 08:05 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Wayne Blanch
24th February 2009, 08:45 AM
What Sawdust said. But I have to agree with Ed, mostly I tend to wear them. The best that I have had was several Witchetty grubs, boy when you hit them with a bowl gouge don't you get wet:doh:. (But not hungry):U

artme
24th February 2009, 06:22 PM
Like SDS said...nuke the buggers!

Careful Ed, next post by you might include the word bloke! :D:D:D

SawDustSniffer
24th February 2009, 06:45 PM
if it dosnt fit in the microwave , explane to SWMBO that she needs and bigger one :o
if the first use of it is to dry timber ,your home and hosed for the life of that Nuker:2tsup:

ralphtaff
25th February 2009, 04:07 AM
Three questions.1,2,3 what does the blueball, justice scale, and the tirangle mean on the bottom of the posts? Thanks for the good information on the bugs. I belong to another form here in the states and i asked the same question and they talked about the bugs getting out and splattin the face shield but no real soulution to get rid of the bugs .the only thing that even sounded like an answer was "between the turning and the DNA bath shoule have 100% motality rate. I do not use DNA at this time so the microwave sounds the best idea yet. you people ROCK the only place to get good answers is HERE!!!!! on this forum. THANKS AGAIN...

Ed Reiss
25th February 2009, 05:27 AM
Careful Ed, next post by you might include the word bloke! :D:D:D

I'm holding out to learn the aussie xxx words, Art. :U

steck
25th February 2009, 08:08 AM
I read somewhere that freezing the bowl will also kill the buggers!

Manuka Jock
25th February 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm holding out to learn the aussie xxx words, Art. :U

Ed ,
the Aussies use X's because apparently they have problems spelling/reading some words :D

As in this case , XXXX = Beer
( the inability may be due to over indulgence of the product itself ) :U

Cheers ,

Jock

Ed Reiss
25th February 2009, 01:17 PM
Ed ,
the Aussies use X's because apparently they have problems spelling/reading some words :D

As in this case , XXXX = Beer
( the inability may be due to over indulgence of the product itself ) :U

Cheers ,

Jock

That pertains to folks in many parts of the world, but it sure is fun gettin' the "inability":2tsup:

OGYT
25th February 2009, 04:23 PM
To get rid of the wood eatin' little critters, immerse the piece in a pan of lacquer thinner. About ten seconds ought to do it. If the liquid doesn't get them the vapor will. I've never had any show up after a thinner dunking.
Now. That said... there's a whole 'nother thread would explain what that will do to a finish... if it's already finished, that is..

bobsreturn2003
25th February 2009, 05:07 PM
baygon the buggers , fixes the nicely as its very toxic . cheers bob

Sprog
25th February 2009, 05:20 PM
Three questions.1,2,3 what does the blueball, justice scale, and the tirangle mean on the bottom of the posts?

blueball = offline
greenball = online
justice scale = add to reputation
triangle = report offensive post

just hover the mouse over the icons for an explanation :D