PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Windshield, How?

srulik
24th February 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi!
To make windshields for my toys I tried to cut small pices with scrollsaw from transparent 2mm thin acrylic, but as the blade pass the material the acrylic melt and stuck back, so I cant release the workpice from the blade... someone have a diferent way to do this?:no:

AUSSIE
24th February 2009, 05:42 AM
Hi!
To make windshields for my toys I tried to cut small pices with scrollsaw from transparent 2mm thin acrylic, but as the blade pass the material the acrylic melt and stuck back, so I cant release the workpice from the blade... someone have a diferent way to do this?:no:
Need to know what type of saw and speed etc.
Sounds like you were cutting it too fast(saw speed)

srulik
24th February 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks,
I using an old german scrollsaw, the speed range is 750 upto 1500 RPM so i tried all the range, with 15T and 18T blades.
When scolling slow the acrylic become broken, in faster speed the material melt..
Maybe I will try to cut with sharp paper knife?

HazzaB
24th February 2009, 10:09 AM
Hey there, What shapes are you cutting, some times it's less frustrating to use a coping saw to rough out and sand to shape. Takes a bit of time but no cracks.

HazzaB

AUSSIE
24th February 2009, 08:38 PM
Best to buy some lexan sheet.Can cut the thin stuff with tin snips if need be.Or your scrolly.Wont crack or shatter.Good to work with

chrisb691
24th February 2009, 10:31 PM
Seems to me, that you might be better of using some polyester/mylar(?) transparancy sheet. The type that is used for the old style office overhead projectors, comes in letter/A4 size. It's fairly stiff, but can be accurately scissor cut.

srulik
25th February 2009, 04:40 AM
Good idia!!!
To night I will try to empty the stuff in the picture, cuting the flat side of the can, it is very clear,
Then I will have somthing to eat:U
I'll keep reporting
Thanks

Srulik

Yonnee
25th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Hi!

Slowly, with an old fashioned handheld hacksaw and a file...

keju
26th February 2009, 09:23 PM
I cut thin acrylic on my scroll saw.... even CDs!!!!!
All you have to do to stop the cut from melting back together it put tape on the top and bottom..... it lubricates the blade!

Good luck

Juvy

AUSSIE
27th February 2009, 05:35 AM
I cut thin acrylic on my scroll saw.... even CDs!!!!!
All you have to do to stop the cut from melting back together it put tape on the top and bottom..... it lubricates the blade!

Good luck

Juvy
You have got it Juvy.
I do that as a normal thing,and never thought of it stopping the melting.I put it on the bottom to stop scratching,and on the top for my pattern:2tsup::doh:

keju
27th February 2009, 07:33 AM
I can't take credit for this "invention" ..... I don't even remember when/where I read about it, but it's well known among scrollers.
Using tape also helps avoid burning of hard woods like redgum. Only draw back is if you use clear tape and leave it on too long it's a bugger to get off.
Also.... when you put clear over your pattern often you get sawdust between the pattern and the tape making it impossible to see the lines... I find it much better to put masking tape on the wood, then use glue stick to put the pattern on ...... if the wood is very hard I stick tape to the bottom too.

Juvy

srulik
27th February 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks All!
Just now tried Juvy's tip, so my problem solved,:2tsup::2tsup:
Cutting 1 mm was succseful!,
Now I will pick some pieces of 3 mm and will try same way, but slower...
Thanks again!
:U

Srulik

scotty60
27th February 2009, 06:43 PM
just get it cut in glass as i do

LiliB
6th March 2009, 02:08 PM
No one likes a smarty pants!!!

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U