PDA

View Full Version : Show us ya shed!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 08:42 AM
G'day All, I've been given the O.K. from the BOSS to run this thread. the only restriction on photos is that they be posted as thumbnails only and not posted via image hosting sites such as Photobucket. (The BOSS may wish to weigh in here to explain the issues with image hosting sites)

I think it would be interesting to have a look at the different layouts we turners have, from the humble Jet Mini by the back door (g'day Eliza) to the mega shed with multiple Vicmarcs (hi Jefferson).

My "shed" is a double garage which I share with LOML, she has her 1/2 for her soapmaking and storing whelping boxes and dog crates for her dog breeding interests.

The first two pics show the general outlay as viewed from the roller door. Photo 3 shows the main work area with grinder close by. Notice the pathetically small work bench, it used to be much bigger but I cut it in half to fit the car in (silly me). Photos 4 & 5 show my storage area for blanks and WIP's, my chainsaw is in the box next to the red esky. #6 is my pride & joy a Jet 1642.

Tool storage. Since I no longer work as a fitter/turner/service engineer I put my 7 drawer tooltrolley to a better use.
Top drawer, my P&N chisels I scored on eBay.
Second drawer, Rolly Munroe hollower, home made Ci1 rougher, Oland tool and other assorted Ally handled tools.
Third drawer, assorted tools I've picked up at auctions, McJing eBay etc.
Fourth drawer, odds & sods.
Fifth drawer, Forstner bits, sanders, drill bits.
Sixth drawer, Chucks & jaws.
Seventh drawer, drills, impact driver and die grinder.

O.K., I've shown you mine, now let's see yours :D.

ElizaLeahy
24th February 2009, 09:39 AM
I have shed envy

::sad2:

I was in a challenge yesterday to show your work area as it was right that minute, no cleaning up allowed. So I have that photo to show you.

TTIT
24th February 2009, 11:05 AM
Corrrrr! ripper!!! - a shed- thread :o I'll get my pics later with my still-damp new chunk of cement in front - poured yesterday!:U
.......My "shed" is a double garage which I share with LOML, she has her 1/2 for her soapmaking and storing whelping boxes and dog crates for her dog breeding interests.
O.K., I've shown you mine, now let's see yours :D.Ouch! - sawdust in the soap:o - can't see that selling too well mate!:;

jefferson
24th February 2009, 11:08 AM
Grumpy John,

the last time I posted pics of my shed I was castigated severely. Deservedly so. I wasn't trying to brag, but in hindsight is seemed as much. So I won't post pics. But my "turning corner" is still a work in progress. I need to paint the linings and then figure out where everything should go too. This is causing me some grief I might add. And the little VL100 remains inactive.

I figure that some sheds are set up better than others. I've seen DJs, Robbos and Erns and there is much to learn. So this is a great thread.

I do have a "free" wall. Dunno whether to make some more storage cupboards, or build some racks for the chisels, etc etc.

I'd love to see what others are doing, so please post some pics.

Jeff

rotten_66
24th February 2009, 11:14 AM
!:UOuch! - sawdust in the soap:o - can't see that selling too well mate!:;

In built exfoliator, surely an advantageous selling point not a negative.

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 11:26 AM
In built exfoliator, surely an advantageous selling point not a negative.

You beat me to it, LOML puts lavender buds in some of her soaps for that very reason. I figure she can have the sawdust for free :D.

Added: I'm not seeing many pictures, thanks for yours Eliza. Don't get despondant, as Paul Kelly wrote, "from little things big things grow".

silentC
24th February 2009, 11:44 AM
Is this for woodturners only?

Here's my shed at the moment. I do have a lathe, it's behind all those sheets of chipboard at the moment. I need to move them so I can get to it to turn up some drawer pulls for a cabinet I'm working on but I don't want to move them twice. I got them to line my shed walls with, so I'm doing that first, then when it's done, I might be able to get to the lathe.

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 01:08 PM
Is this for woodturners only?

Definately not, all forumites are welcome, even encouraged to share.

Old farmer
24th February 2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks very much, Grumpy John, for this great thread and pics.
I had a good shed on the farm, miss it greatly, am slowly preparing a tiny one beside the house here in Sydney and shall pinch ideas from you.
Thanks again.

Waldo
24th February 2009, 01:33 PM
Definately not, all forumites are welcome, even encouraged to share.

Righto then, here's mine.

Not much room in there, too much timber lying around (and don't I hear about it from SWMBO) but there's timber racks that Yonnee welded up for me in the background, that are wating to get put up so I can try and get the bulk of the timber up and out of the way.

For some reason I can't get to my bench at the moment. :shrug:

The space in the middle of the floor? That gets taken up by SWMBO's car and moved out when I'm in here - which is about 10 hours per day. The enclosed room at the back right, that's my office and day job.

So there ya go. I've shown mine, now let's see some more of yours. :D

(is it me, or do pics open much smaller now even saved at their optimum size? )

DJ’s Timber
24th February 2009, 01:56 PM

Think it might be you Waldo, they seem to be opening as usual sizes for me.

Doesn't look like you've done anything since I was there yesterday arvo :q :roll:

BobL
24th February 2009, 01:57 PM
Righto then, here's mine.

Too tidy by far.

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 02:03 PM
The space in the middle of the floor? That gets taken up by SWMBO's car and moved out when I'm in here - which is about 10 hours per day.

this is NOT acceptable, you have room there for a thicknesser and drum sander :rolleyes:. Don't tell her I said that.

Waldo
24th February 2009, 02:29 PM
this is NOT acceptable, you have room there for a thicknesser and drum sander :rolleyes:. Don't tell her I said that.

I've got a 15" thicky, you just can't se it. A drum sander - oooh yeah I want one, except for the new XR I'd put one in there - and somehow I have to figure out how to squeeze it in.

Dj, I'm doing something right now. :q

Tidy, :rotfl:

silentC
24th February 2009, 02:47 PM
I've got a 15" thickyNow you're just bragging... :oo:

rodent
24th February 2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry john im still re hashing my shed .Got to get racking for my wood .:?
But my lathes are still operational :cool:. Oh by the way you shed seems neater than the last time i saw it .good work .:2tsup:

Waldo
24th February 2009, 03:13 PM
Now you're just bragging... :oo:

:o

steck
24th February 2009, 03:25 PM
Hi All,
I have a large shed - well it's bigger than my last shed!
It would take 2 cars if they were ever allowed in there!
My lathe stands pretty well in the centre but I have plans to move it to one end. Most of my turning tools are stored on an old school teachers desk that I adapted and put wheels on.
My Grinder is too far away from the lathe for my liking but it will have to do for a while.
Storage shelving is around the edge.

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 04:38 PM
That's a decent looking bit of burl leaning up against the triton stand Steve.

rsser
24th February 2009, 05:51 PM
There's some shots from an old thread here:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53376&highlight=shed

BernieP
24th February 2009, 06:00 PM
G'Day All

Afraid a bit messy, probably why I spend a lot of time looking for things, however has its up side as I also find a lot! First pic taken as I walk in and progresses through to back. Last photo is dusty in cupboard behind bandsaw, makes it a bit quieter.

Cheers
Bernie

Brown Dog
24th February 2009, 06:02 PM
Im thinking of having this photo printed on to a Stubby Holder.....so I can enjoy the shed when Im not in the shed :U

artme
24th February 2009, 06:35 PM
:oo:Disgusting!! all are far too tidy!

Robomanic
24th February 2009, 06:45 PM
We bought a house 12 months ago. SWMBO must know me very well cos' she was adamant that I use the whole double garage as my shed. This is the progress I have made in the last 12 months: (not meant to be a brag, just very happy to be set up again after leaving the farm)

97331 97332

I under-estimated just how much I would love being able to walk out from the lounge room to the shed. SWMBO and I came to an agreement about the door to the shed after this though;

In my happy place (ask Robo if you don't know where your happy place is) and producing 10mm wide curlies from green SO, SWMBO comes out to give me a cup of tea. I didn't hear the door open but I heard it close again :o

texx
24th February 2009, 07:03 PM
needs a lick of paint , and needs a few thou off the bottom of the door cos it wont close.

DJ’s Timber
24th February 2009, 07:14 PM
the only restriction on photos is that they be posted as thumbnails only and not posted via image hosting sites such as Photobucket.

needs a lick of paint , and needs a few thou off the bottom of the door cos it wont close.

Looks like you might want to re-read what GJ says about images :doh:

Grumpy John
24th February 2009, 07:30 PM
Im thinking of having this photo printed on to a Stubby Holder.....so I can enjoy the shed when Im not in the shed :U

I don't blame you Brownie, that is one very well set out shed :2tsup::2tsup:.

texx
24th February 2009, 07:45 PM
oop's sorry i shall beat myself around the head for a few minutes.
the problem is i am in several forums and this is the only one with this rule and it is more of a habit putting pics in that form for me , most forums prefer the method i just used.
but thats ok i will just have to try and remember or suffer :((.

Big Shed
24th February 2009, 08:03 PM

Chris, just looked at the properties of your picture and it is way smaller than the optimum size (800x600)

Shed's looking good but!:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
24th February 2009, 08:08 PM
the problem is i am in several forums and this is the only one with this rule and it is more of a habit putting pics in that form for me , most forums prefer the method i just used.

Don't beat yourself up too much :no: :U

Normally you can do it via either method but thumbanails are prefered, but for this pecular thread, just thumbnails only :;

steck
24th February 2009, 08:44 PM
That's a decent looking bit of burl leaning up against the triton stand Steve.

It's a lovely piece of redgum - I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Its about 1m long X 65 cm wide and only 3.5cm thick. It has a bow in it of about 1cm. I don't know whether to make a natural edge coffee table with a bowed top or turn a large platter with it.

Robomanic
24th February 2009, 08:50 PM
Hey DJ - do the inline pics still count as thumbs?

Evan Pavlidis
24th February 2009, 09:25 PM
G'day All, I've been given the O.K. from the BOSS to run this thread. the only restriction on photos is that they be posted as thumbnails only and not posted via image hosting sites such as Photobucket. (The BOSS may wish to weigh in here to explain the issues with image hosting sites)

I think it would be interesting to have a look at the different layouts we turners have, from the humble Jet Mini by the back door (g'day Eliza) to the mega shed with multiple Vicmarcs (hi Jefferson).

My "shed" is a double garage which I share with LOML, she has her 1/2 for her soapmaking and storing whelping boxes and dog crates for her dog breeding interests.

The first two pics show the general outlay as viewed from the roller door. Photo 3 shows the main work area with grinder close by. Notice the pathetically small work bench, it used to be much bigger but I cut it in half to fit the car in (silly me). Photos 4 & 5 show my storage area for blanks and WIP's, my chainsaw is in the box next to the red esky. #6 is my pride & joy a Jet 1642.

Tool storage. Since I no longer work as a fitter/turner/service engineer I put my 7 drawer tooltrolley to a better use.
Top drawer, my P&N chisels I scored on eBay.
Second drawer, Rolly Munroe hollower, home made Ci1 rougher, Oland tool and other assorted Ally handled tools.
Third drawer, assorted tools I've picked up at auctions, McJing eBay etc.
Fourth drawer, odds & sods.
Fifth drawer, Forstner bits, sanders, drill bits.
Sixth drawer, Chucks & jaws.
Seventh drawer, drills, impact driver and die grinder.

O.K., I've shown you mine, now let's see yours :D.

Gooday GJ, is your JET lathe the model where the headstock slides along the ways and also rotates? The reason I ask is I'm looking to upgrade and to compare lathes and price.
Do you get accurate alignment between head and tailstock when the head is moved to back to its original position without being mucked around?

Cheers, Evan

DJ’s Timber
24th February 2009, 09:33 PM

Like you've done here?

If yes. then yes, as a Thumb is a smaller image linking to a bigger image :;

We bought a house 12 months ago. SWMBO must know me very well cos' she was adamant that I use the whole double garage as my shed. This is the progress I have made in the last 12 months: (not meant to be a brag, just very happy to be set up again after leaving the farm)

97331 97332

I under-estimated just how much I would love being able to walk out from the lounge room to the shed. SWMBO and I came to an agreement about the door to the shed after this though;

In my happy place (ask Robo if you don't know where your happy place is) and producing 10mm wide curlies from green SO, SWMBO comes out to give me a cup of tea. I didn't hear the door open but I heard it close again :o

Robomanic
24th February 2009, 09:46 PM
Sweet, thanks.

orificiam
24th February 2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys This is where I do my woodturning.It's tiny compared to some of yours but I can move from one lathe to another or to the grinder just by turning arround.
Plus the wiew from the shed is OK.BTW thisshed is only for woodtuening,Anything else gets done in the Garage.
Cheers Tony.:):)

Waldo
24th February 2009, 10:17 PM
Chris, just looked at the properties of your picture and it is way smaller than the optimum size (800x600)

Shed's looking good but!:2tsup:

:2tsup:

I'll have a re-look at things and maybe post up a newer improved shed shot just for those blokes with sheds less than 9m x 7m. :D (yeah, some have bigger or multiple sheds :q )

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 12:11 AM

Don't beat yourself up too much :no: :U

Normally you can do it via either method but thumbanails are prefered, but for this pecular thread, just thumbnails only :;

FYI, before I started this thread I PM'd the mods asking if a "photo heavy" thread would cause any problems by slowing things down too much. I was advised that there would be no problems provided that photos were posted as thumbnails and not submitted via image hosting sites, hence the statement in the first sentence of the first post. Perhaps DJ or can/will explain the issues with using 3rd. party hosting.

Thanks everyone for the pictures posted so far, it has been interesting reading/viewing about other peoples shed setups. :2tsup::2tsup:

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 12:26 AM
Gooday GJ, is your JET lathe the model where the headstock slides along the ways and also rotates? The reason I ask is I'm looking to upgrade and to compare lathes and price.
Do you get accurate alignment between head and tailstock when the head is moved to back to its original position without being mucked around?

Cheers, Evan

Evan, the 1642 headstock slides along the bed but does not rotate. Alignment is pretty good all along the bed. At it's worst is is only about 1.5mm out, but even then you can "play around" with the head/tail stock to get it pretty much perfect.

David H
25th February 2009, 03:09 AM
Wish my shed was a little bigger but local council put paid to that when they would not let me build any bigger as it would cover sewerage line that runs across back yard. Said they needed access - if ever. 1st pic taken before new table saw. Triton just went to new home with Blackhole on weekend.
David

rsser
25th February 2009, 06:11 AM
The prob with 3rd party hosting is that it can be volatile.

Eg. you post a pic on Photobucket or Flickr but some time later decide to delete or move it, then the link here points to a dead url.

RETIRED
25th February 2009, 06:34 AM
The prob with 3rd party hosting is that it can be volatile.

Eg. you post a pic on Photobucket or Flickr but some time later decide to delete or move it, then the link here points to a dead url.That is part of it and the main reason.
Another problem is that if the site where the pictures are hosted is experiencing a slow connection it slows the download here as well.

mic-d
25th February 2009, 07:05 AM

damn you!:D:D

Cheers
Michael

ElizaLeahy
25th February 2009, 08:54 AM
All I can say is it's disguisting how cluttered all your sheds are with bits of timber laying around everywhere.

If you send all the timber to me, think how much neater your sheds will be? :)

Rum Pig
25th February 2009, 09:06 AM
Well you guys and Girls have put me to shame my shed is not that big or tidy.
My 20 mth old son has stored our digital camera somewhere:~ and I can't find it:no: but when I do I post some pics:U

Old farmer
25th February 2009, 10:41 AM
Once again, I thank all for these great pics especially those of smaller sheds because my new one will be tiny. You have given me ideas and I am saving the thread in Favourites.

Loved your post just above this, Eliza. Very cheeky! Still chuckling.

Ed Reiss
25th February 2009, 01:00 PM
All I can say is it's disguisting how cluttered all your sheds are with bits of timber laying around everywhere.

If you send all the timber to me, think how much neater your sheds will be? :)

...yea, were just a bunch of disgusting blokes, but we like it that way. I think it's a good idea to send you a huge pile of stuff...that way you'd fit right in, course Zoe might have sometin'-somtin' to say 'bout that:~

ElizaLeahy
25th February 2009, 01:18 PM
...yea, were just a bunch of disgusting blokes, but we like it that way. I think it's a good idea to send you a huge pile of stuff...that way you'd fit right in, course Zoe might have sometin'-somtin' to say 'bout that:~

I'll PM the address to send the truck to. ;)

Ozkaban
25th February 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm impressed at all of these wonderfully neat sheds... I'm also impressed at how many mc-900/1100's there are floating around out there...

My shed is a cubby hole that stores the tools and I move them out into the carport for use. It has room for a small bench, set of shelves and a drill press, with the triton taking up the floor space (packed up). I recently got a mc-1100 lathe, and it lives permanently in the carport. Not ideal but I'll sort that out when I get a round tuit. Will post photos once I've taken a few...

Cheers,
Dave

Evan Pavlidis
25th February 2009, 06:24 PM
Evan, the 1642 headstock slides along the bed but does not rotate. Alignment is pretty good all along the bed. At it's worst is is only about 1.5mm out, but even then you can "play around" with the head/tail stock to get it pretty much perfect.

Thanks mate. :)

BobL
25th February 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm impressed at all of these wonderfully neat sheds...

OK - what about this one taken from the middle of the central bench?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=97475&stc=1&d=1235560588

Can see nothing right!!

Try this (http://www.thelosses.com/wood_stuff/shed1m.jpg). If your browser doesn't load it full screen zoom in closer and take a look. Look thru the door and you can see my bandsaw on the back veranda and behind that is my planer thicknesser.

Its a 360º , 10 shot x 8 Megapixel image panorama (170 Mb all up) reduced to a 4871 x 960 pixels. I could remove all the distortions and misalignments but I need to work on one of my chainsaws.

Now - lets play where's wallys tools !

How many of my home made tools can you recognise?

How many chainsaws can you see?

How many chainsaw bars and chains?

Cheers

blackhole
25th February 2009, 10:28 PM
Nice use of technology BobL :2tsup:
It was just like being there in person.

Ozkaban
26th February 2009, 07:33 AM
nice shot, Bob! I'd get your lathe checked though - there seems to be some alignment issues there :D

Cheers,
Dave

robyn2839
26th February 2009, 10:18 AM
this is my new shed not much happening at the moment ,i have only been here 5 weeks today and have fully painted the whole house,mowed the lawn 6 times ,nursed my wife after op for the last three weeks, collected a heap of wood , pruned next doors mango and kept the branches (which are about 3m long x 400-550 wide) biggest mango i have ever seen ,the main trunk is about 6 feet wide,he,s going to cut the whole thing down eventually, and still had time to half setup shed. now i have to build the workbench and some benches along the side .bob

robyn2839
26th February 2009, 10:20 AM
had to show you the mango.bob

Waldo
26th February 2009, 10:25 AM
All you lot showing your sheds in Brisbane, your'e making me homesick :cry4:

That chandelier in the shed Robyn2839, you're violating the Code of Practice.

BobL
26th February 2009, 10:54 AM

Yeah, and way too much space, and too clean . . . . . . :D

Old farmer
26th February 2009, 11:31 AM
..............have you had any sleep at all since moving in???

Brown Dog
26th February 2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah, and way too much space, and too clean . . . . . . :D

Bob.... all i can say is bugger the code......top lookin shed :U

Ed Reiss
26th February 2009, 01:04 PM
...a clean shop is a sign of a sick mind !!!!!:q

Ozkaban
26th February 2009, 01:35 PM
If an organised bench means an organised mind, what does an empty bench mean???

You've gotta have the piles of sawdust and several unfinished projects you wouldn't want to fall below the unfinished project threshold - that's a quick way of getting 'inside the house jobs' :D

cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2009, 05:48 PM
OK - what about this one taken from the middle of the central bench?

See the RH sand of that pic? Throw in a couple more lathes & grinders, a thicknesser, bandsaw, pair of Tritons, etc. then take all the tools off the racks on the LH side and stack them haphazardly around the right. Finally cut off the LH side of the pic.

That'd give you an idea of my little slice of chaos. :rolleyes:

bowl-basher
26th February 2009, 08:29 PM
:bigcry::bigcry:This is a great thread all of us that have a stolen half of SWMBO's garage (when she decides to leave the car outside ) can just look and drool So here is my part of the garage at least I have the grinder close to the lathe and I try and convince her that i need more of her shelf space for all my good timber and not all the household nicknacks that she wants to keep there ( not winning so far)
keep the picks coming
Bowl basher

RETIRED
26th February 2009, 08:47 PM
A shed with character and ambience.

robyn2839
26th February 2009, 10:12 PM
...a clean shop is a sign of a sick mind !!!!!:q

may be something in that, ed

RufflyRustic
27th February 2009, 03:52 PM

Must be time for me to show my security window dust catchers :p:D

Cheers
Wendy

Sawdust Maker
27th February 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm impressed - is the window treatment to keep the mozzies out?:p

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 04:48 AM
Don't have a backyard "shed" here in Jersey (used to have one when we lived in Kentucky...7 meters x 12 meters), so the workshop is relegated to the basement.

It is also split into 2 zones (east and west) which are seperated by a door. The east side is the "working" side. The west side is the "glue-up and finishing" side.

Here are the east side pics.:)

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 04:51 AM
Here are the west side pics:)

Grumpy John
28th February 2009, 07:40 AM
Nice layout you've got there Ed. Two drill presses, I haven'y even got one, that's gunna be my next $100+ puschase.
I suppose being a "cellar dweller" stops you being distracted by the view :D.

Calm
28th February 2009, 08:36 AM
Heres one "as is" just got back from Q/land and this is what it looks like. Could do with a bit of a clean up so i can find something.

Cheers

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 08:48 AM
David...in the first pic, just what kind of turning tools are those with the big heads, long shafts, in the cart with the wheels? :roll:

Calm
28th February 2009, 09:04 AM
David...in the first pic, just what kind of turning tools are those with the big heads, long shafts, in the cart with the wheels? :roll:

Special tools used to increase frustrastion, exercise and create thinking time to prepare for the next lathe session to relax with.:q:q:B

Cheers

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 09:07 AM
Nice layout you've got there Ed. Two drill presses, I haven'y even got one, that's gunna be my next $100+ puschase.

...emphasis on the +

I suppose being a "cellar dweller" stops you being distracted by the view :D.

...what view????

John, my full time business in Kentucky was making turned items for gift shops, and there were times I could have used two more drill presses with dedicated jigs for several of the items that had to be drilled before they hit the lathe :U

.....but, business or not, like the (true!!!) saying goes "you can never have too many tools!!!!" :no:

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 09:14 AM
Special tools used to increase frustrastion, exercise and create thinking time to prepare for the next lathe session to relax with.:q:q:B

Cheers

...kinda' thought so:D

GoGuppy
28th February 2009, 12:54 PM
G'day all
A bit like Ed above, though not as well organised, my work space is also in two areas, namely my micro-shed with my new lathe and tool storage, and my carport area where I do my general work.

The photos below show the micro-shed that used to be the old dunny and laundry areas at the back of the house. I have recently clad the shed walls with a nice recycled hardwood and am still in the process of laying out the tool positions for the wall. I have done the saws, some of the chisels and hmmers/mallets, but the planes, setting out tools and most other tools temporarily live in the plastic storage boxes.:(

GoGuppy
28th February 2009, 01:05 PM
The second area is my general working area, when I have removed the car, and rolled out the jarra work bench which is on industrial type casters and ditto for the bandsaw, there is plenty room and fresh air (well ... as fresh as you can get anyway...:roll:..) to work in.

Calm
28th February 2009, 01:11 PM
I think you should tell the "boss" to get used to the car in the position shown in the 3rd photo:D:D

Gives much more shed room.:2tsup:

Cheers

GoGuppy
28th February 2009, 01:16 PM
Actually, the car is shown in the carport, but the Boss is happy to move the car out anytime. We only really have it in the carport at night, particularly the weekends, when it's not a good idea to have the car in the street if you can avoid it....:C.

Sawdust Maker
28th February 2009, 01:18 PM
I can only be jealous of anybody with space as I've just seen in the couple of posts above :~:tears::sad1:

Here's mine.

97730 97731 97732 97733 97734

I also specially tidied it up for the photo :rolleyes:

There's a carport off the front into which I wheel the tablesaw, bench on wheels and timber holder. It also has various chunks of wood which I've scrounged off nature strips etc.

Yep the chisel rack is behind the lathe. The chisels I'm using at any one time usually sit below the lathe bed on that shelf. I'm also risk averse and make sure the lathe is off if I need one off the rack. The rack is also not big enough and needs modification to take more chisels (they're on the bench behind the disc sander at the moment, plus one on order from Hughie) The chisel rack is on hinges to give hanging space behind for dividers etc (last photo).

I've also made a duckbilled sandpaper holder a la TTIT (thanks for the idea) which is attached to the lathe. The dusty scoop behind the lathe is simply attached to a piece of 1" pipe which is welded to an old wheeled chair base (found up the street one arvo after work)

12' x 18' is equivalent to about 3.5 m x 5.5 m for all those born post metrification

NeilS
28th February 2009, 01:40 PM
I can only be jealous of anybody with space as I've just seen in the couple of posts above :~:tears::sad1: Here's mine.

And, such efficient use of the space that you do have. Ordered and well used. Full marks, SM.

Neil

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 01:49 PM
Hey Nick...you missed a few "open" spots on the benches:o

Old farmer
28th February 2009, 02:59 PM
GoGuppy, thanks for pics, lovely wall cladding.
My eyes are not good but, if I can see a scroll saw, would you mind telling us what work you do with it, please?

GoGuppy
28th February 2009, 03:11 PM
GoGuppy, thanks for pics, lovely wall cladding.
My eyes are not good but, if I can see a scroll saw, would you mind telling us what work you do with it, please?

Thanks OF. I think you are referring to my old bandsaw, it's a Craftsman three wheel design, which served me well for a quite a few years. I upgraded last year to the carba-tec one shown in the carport, when I decided I was getting a lathe. Funny thing was when I picked up the Leady, Bruce was there working on the big brother model (ie one size up!) model of Craftsman...:U. Given the quality of his work, it must indicate that these bandsaws are not that bad..

Old farmer
28th February 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks,mate.

Doc0055
28th February 2009, 05:13 PM
This is my shed, still a work in progress.

mick61
28th February 2009, 05:22 PM
G`day Doc0055 I would love to have that much space for my workshop.
Sawdustmaker my workshop looks a lot like yours.I like the holder for your turning chisels.
Mick

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 11:32 PM
This is my shed, still a work in progress.

...that's half the fun!!!!:2tsup:

TTIT
1st March 2009, 12:55 AM
I thought I was the only one that couldn't swing a cat but it looks like there's a few of us out there :U
My shed is a WIP in itself - just got the slab down for stage 3 last week - which is also why the floor is (almost) clean. The concreter suggested he wouldn't take responsibilty if a gust of wing blew shavings onto the slab while he was finishing it so I had to clean up :~ Stage 3 will be a roof-only work area but with the weather here I'll be able to use it pretty much all year round (not that I'd rub that in or anything :U). The back-end shed extension is just for the air-con and wood storage. Then there's the covered racks - old Honda 4-wheeler crates that stack up - chockas with logs, boards and blanks. And the garage holds the chainsaws, thicknesser, jointer/thicknesser and thicknessing sander which are all on wheels so I can roll them out on to the new slab (was pavers before) - - and a bit more wood :U.
Then there's the wee little shed for the DC which is a recent addition too - DC was wheeled out every day before and was a pain if it was raining and it had to stay inside:C

Papa
1st March 2009, 04:12 AM
This is all there is to it. 12'X16'!

Sawdust Maker
1st March 2009, 09:40 AM
Hey Nick...you missed a few "open" spots on the benches:o

Where? :C Just gotta put up more shelves

Sawdustmaker my workshop looks a lot like yours.I like the holder for your turning chisels.
Mick

Thanks - simple to make, cut holes with hole saw, mark the cut lines for the opening, cut on bandsaw or jigsaw. sand and attach to backing, in this case mdf, was going to hit it with a coat of lacquer but never got around to it.

Just the right size :2tsup: How come it's neater then mine?

I thought I was the only one that couldn't swing a cat but it looks like there's a few of us out there :U
My shed is a WIP ...

Looks like the height of luxury from here. Air-conditioning :o. Aren't all sheds a WIP :U

RufflyRustic
1st March 2009, 09:56 AM
Doc0055 - Love the huge long bench with all those drawers and cupboards!!! Nice clean/flat faces makes for easy cleaning and dust can't get inside. This is what I'd like to do if I even had to move or redo my shed. Speaking of which, there are two things I'd do straight up in a new shed. The first would be dust extraction and a little shed setup outside just like TTIT's :2tsup:, the second would be clean-line-style storage, like Doc0055's

cheers
Wendy

Ed Reiss
1st March 2009, 01:49 PM

....OK, where did you hide the lathe???:roll:

Ed Reiss
1st March 2009, 01:51 PM
TT....maybe you can't "swing a cat" in there, but it sure looks like that dog of yours could take one on:U

Papa
1st March 2009, 02:18 PM
....OK, where did you hide the lathe???:roll:

I have not turned to the dark side yet!:o:o:o

:U:U:U

Old farmer
1st March 2009, 02:21 PM
Papa, I could have missed it but cannot see a table-saw. Do you make all your cuts with the bandsaw, please?

Doc0055
1st March 2009, 02:56 PM
Glad you liked the benches Wendy, when it is finished there will be 64 draws, two corner cupboards. And a cupboard between the scms and ras. Also there will be 18m of bench space. All from off cuts and cover sheets that we send to the dump.

Papa
1st March 2009, 02:58 PM
Papa, I could have missed it but cannot see a table-saw. Do you make all your cuts with the bandsaw, please?

If they were a snake you would be.........

There are two, #1 is an old Craftsman 9" I use as a dedicated dado saw, has 8"
Dado set that will go to 7/8"! This was my Dads saw. He got it about 1960.

#2 10" Hitachi fold up with wheels. Less than thirty seconds from wheels to sawing!
Great dust collection, very accurate, all in all, a great saw!

Papa
1st March 2009, 03:02 PM
Just the right size :2tsup: How come it's neater then mine?

:sueme:

Sorry!

:U:U:U

:hpydans2::hpydans2::hpydans2:

RETIRED
1st March 2009, 04:22 PM
I have not turned to the dark side yet!:o:o:o

:U:U:UDarksiders use hand tools. Woodturners dabble in the "black arts."