PDA

View Full Version : Making a double bed - critiques welcome.

BlackF
24th February 2009, 08:31 PM
Hej!

I am in the process of designing a double bed that uses two single IKEA slat bases (800x2000mm) set side-by-side in a collapsible wooden frame - if I make it I want to be able to take it when moving houses! It will be held together by cross-dowels/bed bolts with the rails slotting into the "chunky" legs - this will help support the rails at either end. So it will be approximately 2.1 x 1.6 m with a height off the floor of 500mm-ish. I was also thinking of putting some drawers in as well but that sounds difficult and I am already going to struggle with the construction anyway!!

The IKEA slat bases are fairly cheap, robust, and allow air flow to the mattress; a double bed mattress will sit atop. I am planning to glue and dowel an outer face (145x22mm pine) to the bed rail (120x42mm) to hold the IKEA slat bases. A centre rail will have two of the rails glued and dowelled to both sides of a "facing" board. This central rail will be supported at both ends by a cross rail joining the legs at the head and foot end of the bed.

My idea is to make it so that the whole thing can be "flat-packed".

I am using Google Sketchup to draw up the design.

This is my first attempt at a major furniture item. It will all be done in Pine as this is really the only timber available here in Sweden!!

I have a drill and a hand saw. I assume that a router and a circular saw would make things a whole lot easier!

Critiqes and advice welcome!

cheers

The Black One

ps Not sure how to put a Google Sketchup plan on the forum but if anyone wants to see it then let me know.

ficfac
24th February 2009, 09:58 PM
Hey there, firstly welcome aboard!

Secondly, top stuff, it's great that you are designing something that will have your own special touch and will undoubtedly get a lot of use!

I like your idea of a large piece that is easy to dismantle for moving. Very sensible. Make sure to keep us posted with pictures of the bed :)

Lastly, it will be a bit of hard work with just a drill and hand saw, but is quite do-able. And as they say: "what don't kill ya makes ya stronger"

Good luck mate :2tsup:

P.S: Your country has the best metal bands! I saw In Flames in Sydney on Sunday!

BlackF
24th February 2009, 10:54 PM
Hej!

This shows some of the details of the planned bed.

Let me know if you have any comments or criticisms or hints!

cheers

The Black One

ficfac
25th February 2009, 12:31 AM
nice solid looking leg and rail components :2tsup:

keep it coming!