PDA

View Full Version : new bench

new_guy90
24th February 2009, 08:48 PM
hey everyone i thought i would put this here. ok im sick of my old wood lathe and so i want to get a VL100 ....problem the price so i want to get the bench mount model that doesn't come with a motor, the lathe suites my needs and a purpose made bench would be so nice .............ok i need some help with how to make the bench so ill ask 1 question for now

what should i make the frame from? i was thinking of 400X400mm box section steel. i want the bench to be small so will this size be to big? what would you use if you had to do the same?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Patrick

SurfinNev
24th February 2009, 10:39 PM
i was thinking of 400X400mm box section steel.

I think that's a bit big.:U I would use 50X50X6 angle and simply butt pieces together to weld,

Nev

bollie7
25th February 2009, 08:05 AM
what should i make the frame from? i was thinking of 400X400mm box section steel. i want the bench to be small so will this size be to big? what would you use if you had to do the same?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Patrick

400 X 400 ? thats pretty big for a small bench. Is it "C" purlin or something? I'm with Nev. Angle would be fine unless you already have the 400 X 400. Even then if you used it it would be overkill. By using smaller angle or even 25 X 50 RHS you will be able to incorporate some cupboard space underneath.
A good source for cheap angle for this sort of project is old bed frames, provided they are not bent too much. You can also use sheet metal from old fridges for cladding (I mean the flat side fidges, not the real old curvy ones that weigh a zillion Kgs) Cut the side out of the fridge, lay on a flat floor and use a spade to strip the foam insulation from the inside of the sheet.

regards
bollie7

Fossil
25th February 2009, 01:57 PM
VL100 is a nice machine. Very nice castings, and quality throughout IMO.

If it were me I would not disrespect the quality of the lathe with a cheaply made bench.
The vibration dampening effects of a sturdily constructed base are not to be disregarded, just as they are not with metalwork lathes, although we all know it is more critical on metal lathes

I would mount it on a 200UB of as much weight per meter as you can get. 32kg/m rings a bell.
Better still, a 200UC, as UC's are heavier. Even better still, mount it on old 8" RSJ, as they are heavier still.

For the legs, I would fabricate them from 100x100 6mm rhs. I would have the front legs set at about 2 degrees, and the back set of legs angles further back. I would weld some 200x200x 12mm flat plate to the bases of the legs, with 16mm holes through for fixing.

That's what I would do anyway. :)

Fossil

new_guy90
25th February 2009, 06:55 PM
I think that's a bit big.:U I would use 50X50X6 angle and simply butt pieces together to weld,

Nev

sorry that was a typo lol i meant 40X40mm .........ok ill give you all a better picture of what i want to do

i want a purpose made bench for the lathe, it will only be small i have a larger lathe so i dont think ill get the extra bed length. i also want to be able to adjust the legs so i can have it for turning standing or sitting down (after work i dont want to be standing for a long time) i think i can make some nifty leveling feet so everything is good and stable plus it will dampen vibration. the motor will be housed under the bench so that will take some room but if i can i would like to put some draws for accessories. dont know the dimensions yet but i dont think it will be very long and quite thin .........im not really concerned by the vibration ill use lots of rubber where needed, a nice thick wooden top and ill try to put as much weight in it as possible. oh and ill be wiring up the start/stop switch and a desk lamp to the bench as well. so thats basically what i want to do

about the steel for the legs im thinking now of using some 40X40 for the legs or maybe larger with a smaller size that can slip in so it can be adjusted, and maybe a smaller size box section for the other stretchers and stuff .........as for welding i have a mate who ill give some beer to do it for me

ill try to draw a sketch for you soon thanks for your help

Patrick

neksmerj
25th February 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Patrick,

Personally, I would opt for 50x50x1.6 ERW for your framework. RHS is usually painted blue, and is a little more difficult to weld.

Skip the height adjustable feature, you would have to re-level the bench top each time you adjusted it. Better off getting a good stool, if you want to sit down.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Ken

Keith_W
26th February 2009, 05:43 AM
Hi new_guy90,
The advice from Fossil and neksmerj is good advice, 40mm x 40mm or 50mm x 50mm Tube would make the best size for the Steel for your Bench. Angleing the back legs will help in making the bench stable when you are pushing against the Job you would be Turning. Make the Bench to the height you are comfortable with standing up and for a chair look at a test bench type chair that has longer legs so you can alter it to a comfortable sitting position. I suggest some casters on it so its easy to maneuver arround. Once you have the main Bench structure sorted out then look at how to fit Drawers and Shelves to suite your accessories that you want to store under the Bench.

Regards,
Keith.

new_guy90
26th February 2009, 05:57 AM
Hi new_guy90,
The advice from Fossil and neksmerj is good advice, 40mm x 40mm or 50mm x 50mm Tube would make the best size for the Steel for your Bench. Angleing the back legs will help in making the bench stable when you are pushing against the Job you would be Turning. Make the Bench to the height you are comfortable with standing up and for a chair look at a test bench type chair that has longer legs so you can alter it to a comfortable sitting position. I suggest some casters on it so its easy to maneuver arround. Once you have the main Bench structure sorted out then look at how to fit Drawers and Shelves to suite your accessories that you want to store under the Bench.

Regards,
Keith.

yeah i was thinking of just getting a chair, not sure about the casters, will post a sketch tonight of the basic shape (really basic)

Patrick

new_guy90
26th February 2009, 08:59 PM
ok heres some sketches of what i want to basically do. the pic's are not so good and i put them as direct links ok

the legs are 40x40 the other ones are 20X20 and there is some angle iron in there to. its 800mm hight 350mm wider and 800long .....not sure about the hight its meant so you can sit down at it and i might make it wider to 450mm or 500mm still its very small .........i put 2 draws in it one 200mm deep and the other 100mm deep, it also has a door on the side to change the belts easily and switch panel, im thinking of making the motor compartment semi sealed so the chips wont get in. as for the coulors whats in blue is the steel box and angle iron, the yellow is whats going to be wood and the green is miscellaneous stuff ............just thought i should point that out

again the dimensions will change when i know more on the lathe, the motor and the material

hope you like it ill try one with slant legs latter

Patrick
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2renderdleft.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2renderdright-1.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/wood%20working/bench2steelframe.jpg

bollie7
27th February 2009, 08:15 AM
I reckon that would be fine, looks like you have it well in hand.
Not being a woodturner, I'm not familiar with how the belt drive is arranged on the lathe you are getting. Does it have a intermediate shaft behind the headstock with a belt from there down to the motor? or is it a single belt from the motor to the spindle? I'm curious as to how you seal the opening into the motor cabinet where the belt runs.Obviously it can't be totally sealed but I'm thinking if its a single belt and I'm assuming the spindle has a step pulley on it, then the hole that the belt runs through is going to be larger than if it has an intermediate shaft.

regards
bollie7

new_guy90
27th February 2009, 07:45 PM
I reckon that would be fine, looks like you have it well in hand.
Not being a woodturner, I'm not familiar with how the belt drive is arranged on the lathe you are getting. Does it have a intermediate shaft behind the headstock with a belt from there down to the motor? or is it a single belt from the motor to the spindle? I'm curious as to how you seal the opening into the motor cabinet where the belt runs.Obviously it can't be totally sealed but I'm thinking if its a single belt and I'm assuming the spindle has a step pulley on it, then the hole that the belt runs through is going to be larger than if it has an intermediate shaft.

regards
bollie7

yeah your right im not sure how big the hole will be but from memory i think its 6 speed pully that runs through the head stock directly to the motor, the big door will make it easier to change speeds and if i can find one cheap enough ill put a vari speed motor in it. to seal it i would just enclose the compartment but the dust will still get in ......if its vari then i can make a better seal but that dust is hard to stop

ill post more latter

Patrick

Edit: heres a link to the one i want
http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=528

new_guy90
1st March 2009, 12:21 PM
ok well i cant do much more on the bench its self right now so i thought i would pose a new question that has been buggering me for a bit............... where can i pick up a new motor? i know there sort of easy to find there were heaps at the Toowoomba swap meet (should have got one there :(() and i have been looking on ebay but they dont seem to have the variable speed ones and i would like to price them new before settling on exactly what one to buy. the ones on ebay were going for less than $100 and were 1hp and thats all that little lathe would need ............is there a reputable retailer in Brisbane who i could price these variable speed motors and the normal 1hp motors?

unfortunately i havent been able to go to the wood turning group for some weeks they would have helped ............i got some bearings for my $10 buffer and now im waiting for the paint to dry :U

thanks again for your help everyone

Patrick

Keith_W
2nd March 2009, 05:00 AM
Hi new_guy90,
If you want variable speed on the Motor look for an 3 Phase Motor that has at the motor terminals 6 terminals. This is so you can use a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to power the motor, you connect the VFD in Delta Mode, if you have 3 Phase at your workshop get a 3 Phase VFD if not a Single Phase one will do. The motor and VFD would be 0.75kW, make sure you have adequate ventalation for the VFD and can locate the Stop and Start Controls as well as a Speed Pot at a conveniant location. If you are not confident in wiring up the Motor and VFD have an Electrician do this as you dont want to damage the units or have any chances of being electrocuted.
Look on Ebay to see if there are any units as this would be cheaper that getting new ones.

Regards,
Keith.

new_guy90
2nd March 2009, 06:55 PM
Hi new_guy90,
If you want variable speed on the Motor look for an 3 Phase Motor

um yeah i dont have 3 phase ........it sounds like over kill but ill look in to it ....i heard that treadmill motors work well ......ill have to have a look into that, i forgot before :doh:

so know one knows where i can bye a 1hp motor off the shelf? other than hare and forbs

thanks for the help keith

Patrick

bollie7
3rd March 2009, 08:17 AM
um yeah i dont have 3 phase ........it sounds like over kill but ill look in to it ....i heard that treadmill motors work well ......ill have to have a look into that, i forgot before :doh:

so know one knows where i can bye a 1hp motor off the shelf? other than hare and forbs

thanks for the help keith

Patrick

Patrick
you get a 3 phase motor and a single to 3 phase VFD. this way you can have variable speed on the motor also motor braking.

A couple of other options.

As well as treadmill motors you could possible look at one from an electric bike or disability scooter. I have also seen a treadmill which ran a constant speed motor and use a variable pulley to change the treadmill belt speed. You could look at something like that.I have no idea what a variable sped pulley would cost though.
http://www.industrialbearingsupplies.com.au/product.asp?ID=103
Just in case you don't know how they work, the pulley would be mounted to the motor shaft and the motor mounted on a pivoting mount with some sort of easily used adjustment. As you move the motor (drive pulley) towards the lathe spindle (driven pulley) the spring in the pulley forces the faces of the pulley together causing the belt to run out towards the outside of the pulley. This changes the effective diameter of the pulley and increases the driven pulley speed. As you move the motor away from the driven pulley, the tension on the belt overcomes the spring pressure allowing the faces of the pulley to move away from each other, which in turn allows the belt to move towards the centre of the pulley thus reducing the pulley diameter. This in turn reduces the speed of the driven pulley

Or (probably most expensive but it would be quick to get up and running) a CMG "speedmaster" motor. Has variable speed built in.
http://www.cmggroup.com.au/ (http://www.cmggroup.com.au/) follow the links to motors then speed master.
Hare & Forbes have them for $650 in gst. https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=E120
A bit pricey, but then if you have to buy a motor & VFD seperate and then get it all wired up, maybe the speed master might be worth a look. They are also Aussie made.

regards
bollie7

new_guy90
3rd March 2009, 08:57 PM
i finished painting my grinder um...... new blue buff and it works so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :U just a few more things for it then its time for work :D

thanks Keith and Bollie7 for the advice on the motor for the lathe, i think ill settle for a cheaper motor for the lathe as i don't mind manually changing the speeds much, i just wanted to know the price and whats involved for it so i could rule it out of the final idea ..........ill just make sure the motor is easy to get to so its not a hard deal like some lathes :o that said vari speed is very handy for getting that sweat speed :U enough said im looking at this one
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-1HP-240v-Electric-Single-Phase-Motor_W0QQitemZ200314839616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Power_Tools?hash=item200314839616&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
or this potently safer one https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=E040

any thoughts? sorry not sure how to put the "hyperlinks" in

Patrick

new_guy90
5th March 2009, 07:49 PM
hey i just want to say thank you to all the people who have helped me with planing this project, it wont be under way for a few more weeks but ill post WIP pic's when it is

ill continue this research in the wood turning forum where i can get more specific advice for it

again thanks everyone :2tsup:

Patrick

bollie7
5th March 2009, 08:18 PM
hey i just want to say thank you to all the people who have helped me with planing this project, it wont be under way for a few more weeks but ill post WIP pic's when it is

ill continue this research in the wood turning forum where i can get more specific advice for it

again thanks everyone :2tsup:

Patrick
No worries mate, thats what is all about.

regards
bollie7