PDA

View Full Version : Desk to be restored

Sparhawk
25th February 2009, 09:50 AM
Hi, I'll give the background about the piece, and then post some photos and as questions.

My grandfather was a restorer and french polisher in Wangaratta. I spent a lot of time out there with him as a child, chopping fire wood, cleaning up, and watching. After he passed away, I helped my father clean up the workshop. There was no dust extraction ever used, and we cleaned up at least 30 years of accumulated dust (in some places over 2 foot thick).

As "payment" for my services I got a good collection of handy man tools (all the good chisels, planes, etc went to the auction), and also got to pick one of the many unrestored pieces to have for myself.

The desk in the photos attached is that piece. I liked it because it is functional (a desk and draws), but I also saw a lot of potential in it once it was restored. It splits in half, so it also meant that I could easily store it. I tried to find out what type of desk it is, but most similar types have a slant top.

Just a few questions and then I'll get to the picks:

Can anyone give it a name (and maybe point to some pictures)?
Any idea of the vintage? The nails on the bottom look hand made.
Can anyone recommned a good restorer in Melbourne?
Can anyone hazzard a guess at the price to restore ?

Sparhawk
25th February 2009, 09:51 AM
And the rest of the pics

toolbagsPLUS
25th February 2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Sparhawk,

Its called a Secretaire, some may say a Bureau but the difference is the Bureau has a sloping front and the Secretaire has the writing section often disguised as a draw, that may be pulled out and the writing surface let down on brass quadrant slides.
A guess at the Circa would be 1890's not earlier that 1870 no later that very early 1900's

Can't help with restorer in Melbourne.

Last one I did was quite some time ago and that was just over $1000.00 yours I suggest needs more work so 2000~3000 mark. Hard to say unless physically can see it. 36 hrs plus consumable would be my estimate based on what I can see in the picture.

Here what I think needs doing.

Wash back old finish.
Build up Draw sides
Replace Draw Slides
Re glue draw bottoms and add some more to the width for shrinkage
Pull apart and re glue all joints
Repair (looks Like veneer on the sides)
Replace Green Baze with either Baize or leather/ possible gold tooling around the edge?
Colour match
Clean and refurbish handles and other fittings and fixture.
French Polish
Buff

It would come up a treat but not sure if would be over capitalising on the final worth in monetary sense.

Why not get some book from the library and have a go your self and then the bits you are not confident about maybe sub those parts out.

Would love to see finished product.

Hope that was a help, but hey what would I know, I'm sure there are more qualified people out there that can give other opinions.:)

Cheers

Steve

Sparhawk
25th February 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks Steve, I had look at Secretaire before, but most pics that come up on a goolge image search had sloped tops, so I wasn't sure.
I could do it myself but:
a) I would probably still be doing it when I retire
b) I does have significant portions that are outside by current ability.

The final bit (that may or may not help with a vintage) was that it had an inkwell set inside it. A glass base with 2 silver inkwells insert. I will post a pick when I dig it out.

toolbagsPLUS
25th February 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi again Sparhawk,

That little gem "Its called a Secretaire, some may say a Bureau but the difference is the Bureau has a sloping front and the Secretaire has the writing section often disguised as a draw, that may be pulled out and the writing surface let down on brass quadrant slides" came from "Antique Furniture in Australia" by Anthony Hill. So could be different things in Europe hence Google pics?

Once heard a story of someone in England got one of these to do up and found an Old 5 POUND NOTE, Cabinet was worth about $6000.00 but the note sold at Christie's for hugh 6 figure sum:o Have you checked :doh:

Cheers

Steve

Sparhawk
25th February 2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, 1st thing we did was look for secret doors etc, could only find the inkwell (which doesn't look too antique).

hap97
25th February 2009, 05:58 PM
Check out this sideboard I worked upon. The finish was in similar condition, but not so bad.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/album.php?albumid=17&pictureid=1144
Hilton

Sandow
25th February 2009, 11:37 PM
I'd also guess at the late 1800's and could it have been used on board a ship? Most taller furniture items taken aboard were usually able to be carried on and off in seperate parts. Castors may have posed a problem though lol.

Again, just a guess.

Woodwould
2nd March 2009, 09:42 AM
I concur with toolbagsPLUS; secretaire, circa 1890. I've never seen such a large secretaire drawer before though. The whole piece is odd to say the least. The castors predate the piece and appear to be a later addition (as are the pieces of wood they're screwed to).

It's much later in date than my area of expertise, but I would also follow toolbagsPLUS' course of restoration. However, unless you are a competent restorer, you could easily devalue the piece with unsympathetic restoration. If you intend keeping it for yourself, then I suppose there's no harm in having a go (you can only learn through experience), but if you have any notion of selling it, then I would think seriously before embarking on a project that could cost you many times what you would eventually receive for it. You may get more for it at auction in its unrestored state.

Sparhawk
2nd March 2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys for your help. I'm trying to contact some Melbourne based furniture restores to get it done properly (I want this to become a family heirloom).

astrid
2nd March 2009, 10:52 PM
are those handles original?

Woodwould
2nd March 2009, 11:21 PM
The handles look to be much later replacements. They're more typically used for office and shop drawers in the 20th century.

astrid
3rd March 2009, 10:06 PM
thats what i thought, I was looking to see if this had any carrying handles like a campaign chest, but it dosent look like it.
The castors might be the same period and would be consistant with a desk/chest made for traveling.
I'd put it later than 1880's, more 1900's but who would want a portable chest/ desk by then?

It's a bit of a mystery allright,

sparhawk, inspect it very carefully on the bottoms of all drawers and any bits that can be unscrewed, you might find a makers mark or signature, its often only scribbled on in pencil, but i recon this was a custom made job about 1900

mel

Sparhawk
4th March 2009, 07:57 AM
It's back under the house now, but when we had it out for the photos, we had a good look around, but could not find any makers marks.

astrid
4th March 2009, 07:58 PM
might be under the leather inset. I've sometimes found them after taking the top off a table.

Sparhawk
4th March 2009, 08:06 PM
I'll check next time.
I'll add that the current insert if felt not leather.

Sparhawk
26th January 2012, 07:49 PM
A recent post by Chris Schwarz (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/dovetails-the-strong-silent-shy-type) brought my piece back to mind, I did a google search again on Campaign Chest and found this link (http://www.burmeseantiques.com/furniture.php). It looks very similar to my unit, so that suggest that it is a Burmese Teak design.
Early 1900 British Colonial Campaign Chest, made of Teak. From Burma Dimensions:
41"H X 42"W X 19"D

Price:
$1790.00

Still haven't got it restored, putting all my change in a jar to save up.

http://www.burmeseantiques.com/images/CampaignChest_1.jpg

Christos
29th January 2012, 07:47 PM
Still haven't got it restored, putting all my change in a jar to save up.

Once had a colleague save in one of those 30cm high tins where he kept putting his 2 dollar coins. When he finally took it to the bank is was over $2000.00. :U