PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 26 May 04

Ralph Jones
25th May 2004, 09:52 PM
Good Evening Friends,
When gluing in dowels or spindles into the holes they have a tendency not to go all the way to the bottom of the hole.

What causes this and how can we eliminate the problem?

Respectfully, :)

Dan
25th May 2004, 10:16 PM
Could it be air/glue trapped in the bottom of the hole? Flutes cut in the side of the dowel would let the trapped air/glue out.

Bob Willson
26th May 2004, 06:01 AM
It is one of two things.

a) the hole fairies are in the hole pushing the dowels back out again.
b) you didn't drill the holes deep enough the first time.
c) the dowels are too long for the holes
c) it could be air/glue trapped in the bottom of the hole? Flutes cut in the side of the dowel would let the trapped air/glue out. :D
In order to eliminate the problem, drill your holes all the way through to the other side of the timber. The hole fairies will then fall out on to the floor.

bitingmidge
26th May 2004, 09:29 AM
The hole fairies will then fall out on to the floor.

Bob,

If you catch them in your DC before they hit the floor, can you then do the rest of the job without drilling all the way through? I'm thinking maybe you could drill the first hole or two in a piece of scrap, catch all the little buggers, then get on with the real job?

P

Ralph Jones
26th May 2004, 10:31 AM
Good Morning Friends,
You all are correct in the fact that the air or glue does not have a place to go and therefore forms a cushion that prevents the dowel or spindle to go all the way into the hole. I like to use a pair of channel locks to crimp grooves in the tenon that will allow the air and glue to escape and also make for a better joint.

Thank you all for your support and humor.

Respectfully, :)

Tonz
26th May 2004, 11:01 AM
It is one of two things.

a) the hole fairies are in the hole pushing the dowels back out again.
b) you didn't drill the holes deep enough the first time.
c) the dowels are too long for the holes
c) it could be air/glue trapped in the bottom of the hole? Flutes cut in the side of the dowel would let the trapped air/glue out. :D

And which one of the two things of the four things would that be Bob? ;)

arose62
26th May 2004, 12:11 PM
I've had that problem, and respectfully add another option:

5) you're trying to insert the dowels at 45 degrees to the angle of the hole.

On the air/glue issue, could you take the holes down to the local tyre shop, and have them filled with nitrogen? Would the nitrogen displace the air, and so prevent the problem?

DaveInOz
26th May 2004, 02:06 PM
On the air/glue issue, could you take the holes down to the local tyre shop, and have them filled with nitrogen? Would the nitrogen displace the air, and so prevent the problem?

The best method I've found for displacing things in holes (in this case air) is to blow it out with a blast of compressed air, that or hold it upside down and shake it really hard. :D

Robert WA
26th May 2004, 02:37 PM
You are all using the wrong holes.
My local hardware store sells airless dowel holes. They are a little more expensive, but they work much better.

ozwinner
26th May 2004, 07:36 PM
Have you been down St Kilda again Bob?

All the hole fairies indeed!!! :D

Al

journeyman Mick
26th May 2004, 10:54 PM
Look, I'm afraid you've all overlooked the obvious. If something doesn't fit together or want to insert fully then obviously you need to use more force! If the dowels won't go down or stay down then grab your Estwing and pound them in (this should kill the hole fairies at the same time). If this still doesn't do the trick then a lump hammer (brickies fine adjustment type tool) ought to do it. Of course there are times when you've got particularly tough hole fairies (or you drilled the holes undersized), no matter, reach for the 8lb sledge hammer and gently tap into place. #@!**& things still won't go in! It's allright, I've got it under control, I'll.....just.....really......flog......'em......in......with.....the.....sledgie :eek: . There, that's it, they're in....what? They're pushing back up! Okay, I'll just run them over the road to where they're driving piles for tha new shopping centre. Okay, well just place the job, dowels, hole fairies and all on to the pile cap and give it two or three taps...and another one for good measure. There, all done, see the answer is more force! :D

Mick

Bob Willson
27th May 2004, 06:00 AM
I can just imagine all the poor hole fairies trying to protect their little holes. They are trying to cover them over with their poor little handies :)

AlexS
27th May 2004, 08:37 AM
As they say, Mick, don't force it, use a bigger hammer.