PDA

View Full Version : Things NOT to do with your bandsaw

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 10:23 PM
G'day everyone, As I said in my "show is ya shed" thread I share the garage with SWMBO and her soap making interests. The other day she made a huge block of soap 370mm x 270mm x 90mm. Normally she pours the liquid soap into moulds and lets it set, then wraps and labels it. However as this soap was only going to be used for bathing the dogs she thought she'd pour one big slab and cut it up later. Does anyone know how hard it is to cut through a piece of soap 90mm thick and 270mm wide. Anyway HWIAR comes to the rescue, I know what you're thinking, he's gunna cut it on the bandy. No no no no no, well not yet anyway soap's too soft to cut on a bandsaw, let's put it in the deep freeze for a couple of days. So today I get the rock hard lump of soap out of the freezer and slice a piece off, no problems, off comes another piece, everything's going to plan. As I touch the block of soap to the blade for a third slice, "bang" :oo: the blade falls of the back of the wheels, I hit the stop button and wait for everything to stop moving. I open up the covers to find a 3mm coating of soap on the wheels and soap dust (what else am I gunna call it) from ahole to breakfast time, of course SWMBO is laughing her t's off. In the time it took to clean the bandsaw I could have "wax dried" some more LA.

O.K. guys make all the fun of me you want, I deserve it.:B

Ed Reiss
25th February 2009, 10:34 PM
...maybe the chainsaw would have been a better choice:doh:

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 10:36 PM
...maybe the chainsaw would have been a better choice:doh:

Whadya think I am, stoopid or sumpin'.

echnidna
25th February 2009, 10:39 PM
I can imagine the mess.
I cut a sheep up on mine once, took forever to clean the lard out. But it ran very quietly afterwards

Manuka Jock
25th February 2009, 10:45 PM
Whats the soap turn like John , once you got it cut into blanks ? :D

watson
25th February 2009, 10:58 PM
:rotfl:

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 11:01 PM
:rotfl:

That's what the missus was doing.

DJ’s Timber
25th February 2009, 11:06 PM
What colour was your underwear after the "bang" :rofl:

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 11:09 PM
What colour was your underwear after the "bang" :rofl:
Doesn't matter, I've got plenty of soap to clean 'em :D.

watson
25th February 2009, 11:13 PM
I wish we had a "bloopers" thread after the last cupla posts.

Waldo
25th February 2009, 11:25 PM
That's what the missus was doing.

Except Watson doesn't have t.ts :D

All you have to do now Grumpy is throw some warm water in the bandsaw and you could've washed the brown stain out. :D

watson
25th February 2009, 11:34 PM
Waldo......haven't you seen the endless replays of Seinfeld??????

Mr Costanso (george's father) had man boobs.......At 66 I probably have too.
Never looked........but they'd be there ....I bet.

And I still reckon a "bloopers" thread would be fun :doh: :doh:

Waldo
25th February 2009, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't sully any bloke's good name to say he had man-boobs. :no:

Watched Seinfeld? Under immense duress.

watson
25th February 2009, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't sully any bloke's good name to say he had man-boobs. :no:

Watched Seinfeld? Under immense duress.

Me three........but back then...in the sticks, you couldn't get much else.
Still reckon Grumpy's thread would make a great start to a "Bloopers' Thread.
I'll stop now, or I'll be accused of thread stealing and drivelling.

Sorry John..........

Grumpy John
25th February 2009, 11:51 PM
Me three........but back then...in the sticks, you couldn't get much else.
Still reckon Grumpy's thread would make a great start to a "Bloopers' Thread.
I'll stop now, or I'll be accused of thread stealing and drivelling.

Sorry John..........

No, no, continue the man boobs story by all means, it'll take the focus off my stupidity :rolleyes:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2009, 11:52 PM
If I was in your shoes I'd have done the same... but I'm not and I didn't so :rotfl:

Waldo
25th February 2009, 11:53 PM
No, no, continue the man boobs story by all means, it'll take the focus off my stupidity :rolleyes:.

I was starting to write about the same thing myself. :pointlaugh: :doh:

Waldo
26th February 2009, 12:04 AM
And in the background of shot two on the newspaper is written, "Peaceful modern living". :D

It's also on shot 1 too, and continues to read, "New site now open for inspection" :rotfl:

Ed Reiss
26th February 2009, 03:16 AM
....you blokes must be really hard up if you want to hear about man-boobs!!!:o

Ed Reiss
26th February 2009, 03:19 AM
Whadya think I am, stoopid or sumpin'.

...right John, what the hell was I thinking :doh: you didn't want that big a kerf...next time use the tablesaw with a thin kerf blade:D

ElizaLeahy
26th February 2009, 09:06 AM
remember those old carving knives, the sort that had a sort of saw action?

One of those. A tall pot of boiling water. Get the blade hot in the water, and then cut the soap.

Well - it might work, and at least it will keep the rest of your equipment safe :)

Pat
26th February 2009, 09:19 AM
:roflmao::harhar::evillaugh::evillaugh:

Grumpy John
26th February 2009, 09:47 AM
Maybe something like this would work

ElizaLeahy
26th February 2009, 11:12 AM
That's a pretty cheese board!

artme
26th February 2009, 12:08 PM
:oo:Glad LOML doesn't make soap. Also glad bs is out of action!:D:D:rolleyes:

Robomanic
26th February 2009, 12:46 PM
I saw the thread title , and thought Oh Dear.
I read the thread, nothing has changed.

silentC
26th February 2009, 12:53 PM
The solution to your problem is to fit some brushes in your band saw to sweep the wheels clean as they turn. I fitted some and it stops the saw dust from building up under the blade and helps reduce wear on the tyres.

I thought soap was cut with a wire?

Terry B
26th February 2009, 03:27 PM
Next time just use the axe. Much more fun and if it is just to wash the dog a few axe marks are OK.

Grumpy John
26th February 2009, 03:34 PM
The solution to your problem is to fit some brushes in your band saw to sweep the wheels clean as they turn.

There are already brushes fitted to the bandsaw, they work fine on DRY sawdust, not so well on tacky soap. :((

I thought soap was cut with a wire?

It will be from now on. :B

mcarthur
26th February 2009, 04:59 PM
I cut a sheep up on mine once, took forever to clean the lard out. But it ran very quietly afterwards

:AO::surprise:

I think you're supposed to take the shears to the sheep, not the otherway around :doh:. I have this vision of you holding the sheep on it's side and moving it back and forth trimming the wool off. Squeezing one down to 200mm high to fit would be, uh, interesting to watch as well :o.

I bet all the other sheep who watched ran very quietly (and fast) afterwards as well! :wink:

springwater
26th February 2009, 07:30 PM
Our friends make soap, a lot of soap, she does the making, he does the cutting, packing and moving as the boxes are heavy. He made a simple cutting mechanism that went through the soap like butter. The idea was pinched from a cheese cutter like this one, only his was on a wooden base:
:

Ozkaban
27th February 2009, 01:34 PM
Ok, I've stopped laughing now :D

I reckon where you went wrong was the soap lubricating the wheels and making is nice and easy for the blade to slide off.

So obviously you should have used the tablesaw :2tsup:

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Dave

seafurymike
27th February 2009, 02:30 PM
I would have told the wife to attach a rope to the soap, then stick a hook in the shower roof and off you go for a good month.

mcarthur
27th February 2009, 03:36 PM
So obviously you should have used the tablesaw :2tsup:

It's hard enough to catch the sucker in the bath, I can just imagine the explanation at casualty - it was kickback from the soap!

There's also the scene as you go into Carbatec - will the TSC10HB cut through 80mm of soap, or should I go 3-phase? Have you got a 10" soap-cutting blade? I thought I saw it the Rockler catalogue under bathroom fittings... No, the carbide one not HSS, with 5 degree negative hook :2tsup:

Grumpy John
27th February 2009, 07:14 PM
An idiot proof system will never be a match for a system proof idiot

That's not aimed at me is it Dave? :rolleyes:<!-- / sig -->

rodent
27th February 2009, 09:42 PM
Suds verrrrrry funny john , now you have plenty of soap add water and you can soak your wet wood blanks in . PS . don't use the vacum cleaner to pick up the soap dust .:no: BRUSH AND BROOM ONLY .:2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
27th February 2009, 09:50 PM
Good "soap opera" Grumpy - now you can write
for TV shows, e.g. "Days of our Wives".:D

Allan

pitbull
1st March 2009, 05:24 PM
Nice of you to make a "clean breast of things" Grumpy.:D