PDA

View Full Version : Hands Cramping

Paul39
27th February 2009, 11:43 AM
Does anyone else out there have trouble with hands cramping after turning and sanding for a couple hours.

I am 69 so that may have something with it.

I do eat at least one banana a day, and more along with potassium supplements if I am having cramping.

I mostly don't have a death grip on the chisel handles. I do sometimes have to stop and relax everything before continuing.

Any solutions?

skot
27th February 2009, 12:40 PM
Paul,
I think it's just a case of stopping every 20 minutes or so, have a stretch and put the tools down.

I am 49 and find I have to do that, but you know what turning does do to you...you become obsessive and just need to find out what the piece looks like if you turn away a little bit more.

It's just your body telling you to slow it down and appreciate the turning and have a coffee.

Ed Reiss
27th February 2009, 12:57 PM
Your in the same ball park as me Paul...with age come ailments. One thing that has helped is larger diameter tool handles (been slowly making my own), they are easier on the palm and fingers than skinny ones.

...but, like Skot said, take a break once in a while, have a cold one or two, kick the cat, take a walk....etc., etc:U

Paul39
27th February 2009, 01:07 PM
Bigger handles are a good Idea. I have big hands and all my chisels but one- my new at Christmas 1/2" bowl gouge - have small diameter handles.

I have several bed posts I have been saving for something. Now I know what to do with them.

Thanks.

skot
27th February 2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't have 2 cold ones while turning....but I would kick 2 cats

Paul39
27th February 2009, 01:59 PM
For Shame, kicking cats!!!!

Here is my 19 pound old buddy, hard at work in the summer time.

He does the same in winter, but on the bed.

OGYT
27th February 2009, 02:52 PM
Paul, I'll be 69 in a few months, so I'm gettin' there. I used to have some really tired hands, almost cramping, but not quite, and someone told me to relax the death grip. So I have to consiously maintain a light grip... so far so good.
Unless I am doing honey-dos for Her Majesty, I am fortunate to spend about 5 or 6 hours a day turning now... well, some of it's in preparation of the wood, too... but most of it is at the lathes.
When I do take a break, it includes a nap, usually. :U

hughie
27th February 2009, 09:44 PM
Hmm, cramps, often as OGYT has mentioned a death grip can the bulk of the problem and you have got re train your self.

On the other hand if I have a mineral deficit then I get cramps. So I generally take a multi mineral and have not had any since.

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-cramps/

weisyboy
27th February 2009, 10:11 PM
my father was getting really bad cramps and was told by the chemist that quinen helps. he has been drinking indian tonic watter for 12 months and no longer gets any craps.

try losening your grip a bit and see how ya go.

robyn2839
27th February 2009, 11:04 PM
mine have stopped since i started taking magnesium tablets....bob

Ad de Crom
28th February 2009, 03:09 AM
Paul, I'm 68, till now I never had that problem. Maybe the reason I do everything by hand, even cutting logs by hand, so I have a lot of power in my arms and hands.
Good for us old guys to keep in shape.
Ad

Ed Reiss
28th February 2009, 12:53 PM
For Shame, kicking cats!!!!

Here is my 19 pound old buddy, hard at work in the summer time.

He does the same in winter, but on the bed.

....well, a possum or two are good substitutes :kickcan:

glenn k
28th February 2009, 01:43 PM
Could try Glucosamine I was getting cramps years ago took potassium phosphate or was it calcium phosphate? was called body salts I think worked quickly.

joez
28th February 2009, 03:07 PM
mine have stopped since i started taking magnesium tablets....bob

Magnesium is worth trying, helps me, Banana's contain potasium from memory....

joez

mobjack68
2nd March 2009, 11:00 AM
Does anyone else out there have trouble with hands cramping after turning and sanding for a couple hours.

I am 69 so that may have something with it.

I do eat at least one banana a day, and more along with potassium supplements if I am having cramping.

I mostly don't have a death grip on the chisel handles. I do sometimes have to stop and relax everything before continuing.

Any solutions?

Hey Paul, think about gloves....Now before you guys jump all over me about "the feel" or "dexterity", they make mechanics gloves (Lowe's carries them) that have a great feel and they also offer gloves for bikers (motorcyclists) that have gel inserts. I have a probelm with the vibration sometimes. My leather biker gloves have helped a great deal. Biggest problem is, you gotta stop every once and again and shake the shavings out

Gil Jones
2nd March 2009, 04:19 PM
When our kids were little they sometimes got cramps in their leg muscles, and Bunny gave them extra vitamin "E" which seemed to fix their leg cramps quickly. Don't know if "E" would help your problem, but I reckon it might be worth a try.
Good luck with it.:)

joe greiner
2nd March 2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Paul, think about gloves....Now before you guys jump all over me about "the feel" or "dexterity", they make mechanics gloves (Lowe's carries them) that have a great feel and they also offer gloves for bikers (motorcyclists) that have gel inserts. I have a probelm with the vibration sometimes. My leather biker gloves have helped a great deal. Biggest problem is, you gotta stop every once and again and shake the shavings out

Gloves while turning may be a matter of enlightened debate. Generally advised against in the AAW Lathe Safety Guidelines, along with long hair and loose clothing. Probably less severe admonition(s) for an experienced turner.

Cheers,
Joe

Paul39
3rd March 2009, 03:09 AM
I also use a South Bend 10" swing metal turning lathe and read the Practical Machinist forum. Many tales there of fingers, hands, and arms torn off because of using gloves.

Lots of good suggestions above, I do quite a few of them.

It did occur to me later that the morning of the cramps I had changed out 4 ceiling light fixtures at church. Two hours of screwing and unscrewing with a manual screwdriver, followed by two hours of finish scraping and sanding that afternoon probably did the trick.

Other than the gloves, I will incorporate all of the above.

Thanks to all.