PDA

View Full Version : Another Goblet (thinner, for Skew's approval)

ElizaLeahy
27th February 2009, 01:17 PM
this is a bit of campher laurel. I only did it because Skew said the other stem was a bit thick.

It's 13.5cm high and 4cm wide

When I did the bowl I was so pleased - I *almost* got it without tool marks. Just one little one down the bottom.

But when I finished and took it off the lathe - I didn't have enough wadding in the cup and the live end thing left a mark! I've decided it's a feature. (yeah, right, pity it looks like a mistake then!)

Oh well, another day I'll try again.

TTIT
27th February 2009, 01:27 PM
Flying ahead in huge leaps and bounds Eliza.:2tsup: Don't remember seeing anyone improve so quickly :U. (or do you have nothing else to do but practice 24/7 :; )

Rum Pig
27th February 2009, 01:37 PM
You certainly are doing a fantastic job at improving your skills.Well Done:2tsup::2tsup:

If I was to be critical I would say that it looks like the wall thickness is to thick. I like to get them as close to a wine glass thickness as possible.

The main thing is that it holds the fluid for you:U

Ed Reiss
27th February 2009, 01:41 PM
OK Eliza...your gobs are progressing swimmingly:2tsup:

Evan Pavlidis
27th February 2009, 02:29 PM
Well done Eliza:2tsup: Huge improvement in such short time...you're on a roll.:2tsup:

Cheers, Evan :)

OGYT
27th February 2009, 02:39 PM
OK! Well done! Now... as was said a day or two ago... now make a set! :D
You're makin' some of us envious with your ability to learn so fast!!

RETIRED
27th February 2009, 03:21 PM
Looks good but the base needs to be as wide as, or fractionally wider than the top.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th February 2009, 05:44 PM
this is a bit of campher laurel. I only did it because Skew said the other stem was a bit thick.

Don't you go putting words in my mouth young lady! :~ I said it's a tad thick for my taste, but worked well for the overall design.

OK, OK... I meant it's a bit thick. :p Nicely done. Again. Must be all that practice turning sticks. :D

ElizaLeahy
27th February 2009, 06:05 PM
The other thing I have problems with on gobs is that I don't know where the bottom is when I'm turning the outside. Maybe I should turn that first then turn the inside to match.

The bottom is two mm bigger then the top - it was bigger - but then I slipped and lost a few mil!

Today I bought some micro mesh :)

ss_11000
27th February 2009, 06:11 PM
nice work :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
27th February 2009, 07:09 PM
Eliza, very veryyyyyyyy well done.
I saw the first too of course, oh well it's just a matter of taste if you like more a slender than a thicker stem. But to be honest, this one is more elegant.
And you are a very fast learner, I think you have the right feeling in your fingertips :)
Eliza, keep em going.
Ad :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
27th February 2009, 07:26 PM
Eliza
can you please get a full time job!
It is patently unfair that you get to spend quality time on the lathe, practising chisel use whilst I have to sit in an office with a view of another office across the alley. (btw - the bloke in that office sits and daydreams all day)

ElizaLeahy
27th February 2009, 07:46 PM
Eliza
can you please get a full time job!
It is patently unfair that you get to spend quality time on the lathe, practising chisel use whilst I have to sit in an office with a view of another office across the alley. (btw - the bloke in that office sits and daydreams all day)

Problem is - this IS my full time job!

I've always had to make whatever I could by whatever I could do at home. I've done web design and sold my art - now I'm doing this.

Yes, I do practice pretty much full time. I've worked my way up to about 5 hours a day, split into hours with an hour rest in between. And that in between time is research, listing, updating websites etc. So I'm working an average of 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have an art exhibition opening on Monday, setting up on Sunday, so I'm getting ready for that too. I have an article in a magazine at the moment, another exhibition in the US (obviously I'm not AT that one...) and an interview on the 12th.

I'm busy all the time. If I have free time I fill it with something.

I like this little goblet too - pity it's useless! I'm thinking of making teeny tiny ones and selling them as "Fairy cups". :)

Enfield Guy
27th February 2009, 09:26 PM
Flying ahead Eliza. Good on you girl. Looks fantastic. Good luck with the art show as well.

Bevan

Oeistein
28th February 2009, 09:44 AM
Nice work Eliza, and stunning wood.

ElizaLeahy
28th February 2009, 12:13 PM
I showed it to my Dr and he asked what wood and when I told him Camphor Laurel he said "it's good to know there is some use for that dreadful weed!" lol

NeilS
28th February 2009, 01:17 PM
The other thing I have problems with on gobs is that I don't know where the bottom is when I'm turning the outside. Maybe I should turn that first then turn the inside to match.

If it were a bowl (the cup bit is, I guess) I would say turn the outside first and match that profile on the inside. As it's spindle work, which I don't do very often and therefore not familiar with gripping sequences and issues, I defer to Skew, et al, for whom this will be second nature.

If you don't have some form of double ended calipers (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144939&product_id=1107453187) to check wall thickness, you might like to get/make something like that.

Neil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2009, 02:38 PM
I like to rough the outside as a general guide for turning & finishing the inside, then finish the outside afterwards.

That way, any mistakes inside (where it's the most difficult to get right) and I still have enough wall thickness for a salvage effort. :)

Because my goblets tend to be semi-enclosed forms I also find it easier to concentrate simply on getting a smooth, flowing curve on the inside and then thinning the walls from the outside... measuring the thickness is exactly the same process either way and working from the inside can be so damned awkward!

It's really a case of whatever works best for you.

artme
28th February 2009, 03:47 PM
NIce work girl!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not long now and you will rooly be able to show off.:D:D:D

ElizaLeahy
28th February 2009, 04:05 PM
If you don't have some form of double ended calipers (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144939&product_id=1107453187) to check wall thickness, you might like to get/make something like that.

Neil

AHhhhhh!

You know, when I bought my calipers I asked the staff person at Carba Tec about those ones. I didn't understand the garbled answer they gave - I don't think they understood it either. I bought the ones they suggested, the single ended ones.

Should ask here first, shouldn't I?

Well, I'll just have to use me fingers!

Gil Jones
28th February 2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Eliza,
That is a fine looking goblet:2tsup:
Excellent progress you are making, Keep at it!!
And here I thought Fairy Cups were Mushrooms.:)

SawDustSniffer
28th February 2009, 05:06 PM
well, done great goblet
thought ill get your artistic juices flowing , how about carving them into flower's ?
this is a Cape York Iron Wood goblet carved into a rose then inlayed with Red Tail Black Cockatoo feathers ,

ElizaLeahy
28th February 2009, 05:17 PM
That is one pretty goblet! don't know where you'd put your mouth, but who would care!!!

I haven't tried carving yet. Is this a dare?

I can't afford the tools just now... still buying chisels!!! heehee :)

springwater
28th February 2009, 06:13 PM
...carved into a rose then inlayed with Red Tail Black Cockatoo feathers

Would you mind posting pics of the inlay, sounds amazing to me and I'm intrigued how you would inlay feathers let alone Red Tail Black Cockatoo ones.

SawDustSniffer
28th February 2009, 06:47 PM
whoops i stole a tread

i showed a bit back in 2006 , not much there but it might help , yet to get it perfect but still trying http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=40995&highlight=inlaying+feathers

springwater
28th February 2009, 07:16 PM
whoops i stole a tread

Sorry it was my fault, just call it interval. Thanks SDS:2tsup: