PDA

View Full Version : Farewell

kenmil
26th May 2004, 06:56 PM
So long folks, it's been fun.

The censors have been at it again, and deleted my recent (humorous) post. It seems "some people were offended". I can't stand any more of this political correctness crap, so I will bid you all goodbye.

RETIRED
26th May 2004, 07:10 PM
I am sorry you feel that way. In most cases I am pretty liberal and definately not politically correct.

As I have said before I have to look after the majority and when I get complaints or think that some one has gone too far they will get censored'

You went too far. You were stirring. You offended some. You got the message deleted.

I don't mind stirring either as long as it is clever.

Bob Willson
26th May 2004, 07:30 PM
I must agree with . No, not this case in PARTICULAR but in general. I too am guilty of having a somewhat sexual cast to many of my posts. The only times that I have ever been censored were well and truly deserved. :)Apart from the above, I really do abhor censoring. Still, it isn't MY bulletin board, it belongs to others.

Wood Borer
26th May 2004, 07:37 PM
Goodbye Ken,

You are correct, not everyone reads comments the same way and perhaps some people were offended. We are all guilty of that at one time or another.

I feel you did have some useful contributions at times and it is those contributions I will miss.

- Wood Borer

Grunt
26th May 2004, 07:45 PM
I hate to see anyone leave this BB. Your contributions will be missed.

Sturdee
26th May 2004, 08:43 PM
Sorry to see you go Ken, whilst I don't always agree with your posts at least they were interesting.

Peter.

DarrylF
26th May 2004, 09:02 PM
Oh fer chrissake will everyone just stop throwing their toys out of the cot. It's a discussion forum. Yes, there's going to be disagreements and not everyone is going to get on like a house of fire. That's life. Good with the bad and all. Get over it.

silentC
26th May 2004, 09:37 PM
When you are as opinionated as me you can't afford to be thin skinned or lack a sense of humour

:confused:

Caliban
26th May 2004, 10:27 PM
Ken
Don't go. Look I'll get off my bike and pick up your dummy for you. I'll even make a deliberate spelling mistake or three for you to correct. :D I don't want to be the only Nazi left in the bunker. I didn't mean that jibe about you being the one everyone hates. I'll even vote for you on that poll.
Come back. Or do a doorstop and sign on as a different person ;)
Really, don't go Your opinion is valued.Also Silent C's quote says it all.
Jim
ps. As the French guard in "The Holy Grail" says, "come back and we'll taunt you some more" :D :D :D

gatiep
27th May 2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Ken,
You have trodden on a few toes on this board during the time that I have visited it. Maybe some people just left quietly.
The moral of the story: Don't pour boiling water over someone, if you are not prepared to be on the receiving end one day.
You are a big boy, no need to throw your toys out the cot, just accept that whatever you did was not acceptable, ( I didn't see the post in question ) but life goes on. Some of your posts are very informative and we enjoy some valuable feedback from you, but the choice 'to go or not to go' is yours mate.

Cya around
Joe

fxst
27th May 2004, 12:45 AM
dont let the door hit you in the ***(cop that naughty word detector)
on the way out and please pick up the dummy ....wouldnt want anyone to trip on it!
Pete :p

Don K
27th May 2004, 12:59 AM
Weak as **** kenmil. I always thought you was a girl and you have proved me to be right.

This will get cencored and rightly so but I'm not goin to complain because the cencorship will be completely justified. Just like some of the pathetic **** yous have posted in your time on this bulletin board.

You have often had constructive imput to which I would think most members were appreciative. However I have seen yous have have a lot of hurtful, biggoted and often, bordering on slanderous imput and have alienated a lot of peoples.

The Don :mad:

Dead right Donk it certainly has been censored :mad: Neil :mad:

DanP
27th May 2004, 01:43 AM
Ken,

I will miss your candid contributions. Such straight forwardness is refreshing in this day and age of bum lickers and yes men. Don't let being censored put you off.

Don, At least Ken contributed. Fourteen Posts in five years? I don't think I need to say any more. But I will. I find your post more offensive than any that I have ever seen from Ken and I do not refer to the swearing.

Dan

Zed
27th May 2004, 11:31 AM
Neil,

can we have a dummy spitting forum where "last posts" can be recorded and duly scoffed at ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what a friggin' joke...

Sprog
27th May 2004, 12:17 PM
Neil,

what a friggin' joke...

All you can expect from a Triton basher, they just hate to be wrong

:D :D :D

Wongo
27th May 2004, 12:55 PM
All you can expect from a Triton basher, they just hate to be wrong

Hey Sprong take it easy man. There is nothing wrong criticising Triton. I sincerely hope that my criticism against Triton has not offended you.

Kindest regards :)

Sprog
27th May 2004, 01:03 PM
Hey Sprong take it easy man. There is nothing wrong criticising Triton. I sincerely hope that my criticism against Triton has not offended you.

Kindest regards :)

Well I haven't spit the dummy have I, so no, no offence.

Bunyip
27th May 2004, 01:10 PM
But bashing the triton is sooo satisfying

I bash it, kick it, swear at it, would love to throw it (but probably hurt my back!) and even blow it up when it refuses to behave and sucks away all my valuable time :mad:

Then again - maybe I have an anger management problem :(

PS bye bye Ken

bitingmidge
27th May 2004, 02:03 PM
Hey Ken, hasn't this been done before?

As one who has been known to (unintentionally):-
a)cause offence
b)hurt people
c)provide wrong, incorrect and totally misleading information
d) never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I feel I can say with some heartfeltedness (cop that for a word that doesn't exist!!) "If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

I would like to apologise now to all the people I am going to offend for the rest of the year, it really isn't intended. A new apology will be issued prior to January 1st, and Neil, in the event that I do something which you think is offensive, please feel free to do whatever you think needs doing.

Aren't some of us forgetting:- This forum isn't about the forty or fifty people that contribute regularly....it has a squllion potential lurkers, and what we say/do and how we behave is searchable on Google and everywhere else. Some minimum standards of behaviour are laudable, (as long as I dont' have to meet 'em).

Neil, Can we find an animated spitting dumming that we can add to the smilies menu?:D

P

ozwinner
27th May 2004, 02:16 PM
Neil, Can we find an animated spitting dumming that we can add to the smilies menu?:D

PI looked, couldnt find one. :D :o :)
Closest too it is..........http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/11baby.gif

Al

Wood Borer
27th May 2004, 03:15 PM
Ozwinner,

it will cost a fortune in dentist bills if you keep the grinning toothed creature.

- Wood Borer

If you respond your gold membership will explode

craigb
27th May 2004, 03:41 PM
I looked, couldnt find one. :D :o :)
Closest too it is..........http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/other/11baby.gif

Al

Well then I think that we should throw down the challenge to the IT people on this board to create one. :D
I'm an IT person myself but I'm a dinosaur so I don't have the skills to do it.
Anybody else up to the challenge?

PS
'bye Ken

PaulS
27th May 2004, 03:45 PM
Ozwinner,

its Gone forever!!!!

Gold Member RIP

But just remember Diamonds are a Girls best friend, so things may not be to bad

Caliban
27th May 2004, 07:07 PM
I like bashing my titon and I'm not going to spit the dummy.
Why oh why would Ken have suddenly found a conscience?
It scares me that such a hard nose chap could suddenly turn to water and just leave, especially when he had achieved such notoriety on the polls. :D
You can all make all the spelling mistakes you like, out of respect for Ken I will not help any of you anymore ;)

ozwinner
27th May 2004, 07:28 PM
I like bashing my titon.
;)
Is that what they call it these days,.......................OK :D

Al

kenmil
27th May 2004, 07:33 PM
I have returned(momentarily) to render an explanation, viz;

On the Polls forum, there is a poll for "The most controversial subjects on this forum" and my name is listed as one you can vote for. I have no problems with that, and in fact, thought it was quite funny. As the poll progressed, I was lagging behind in the voting, so I jokingly asked "do I have to post a multi-controversy thread ?", to which some devil (who shall remain nameless) replied "Yes".

I then posted a thread entitled something like "Orange is the preferred colour for gay handtool users who cannot spell".

Now I would have thought that anyone with a modicum of intelligence could tell this was a tongue-in-cheek post and was not in any way serious. Nevertheless, the moderator saw fit to delete it because "a couple of people were offended by it", and then explained his action by saying " I have to look after the majority". Not sure when a couple became a majority, but then I wasn't all that surprised given my history of conflict with the moderators here.
When you have to pull someones sorry **** out of the fire on numerous occassions because companies that they have insulted threaten to sue, we do get really off. It is not so much a conflict but someone has to protect people from their own stupidity. This is an open forum that is read by a lot of business people and a heap of nameless people from 6-106 and all races, religions and sexual pursuasions and I have to weigh that up against the mutterings of a hastily entered answer. Guess What, you lose. .Bob Willson - My post was not sexual as you put it.
Wood Borer - You are right, not everyone reads everything the same way, and indeed, some just sweat on something to be offended by.
Grunt - Thank you for your kind comment.
Sturdee - Ditto
SilentC - I am not thin skinned, and I can take being poked fun at, because I am quick to do it to others, but this wasn't about other posters having a shot, at least not out in the open.
DarrylF - I agree it does sound like a bit of "toy throwing", but I strenuously object to what I see as selective moderating.
Gatiep - I set out to step on toes sometimes, because that is what makes for lively discussion. I can take as good as I give, but the people who are so offended by what I write rarely have the courage to challenge me about it. They prefer to contact the moderator to profess their offended state.
fxst - Thank you.
Don K - I don't think I need to respond to you, although you do present a rather interesting spelling improvement challenge. :rolleyes:
DanP - Thank you for your kind words.
Zed - Fair comment, because I know this may seem like a dummy spit.
Sprog - Why do you always feel the need to group posters as either Pro or Anti Triton ? Are you that insecure about your orange beast ?
Bunyip - Thanks, I got a laugh out of that.
Bitingmidge - Very good, as usual. Made me smile too.

Bob Willson
27th May 2004, 07:59 PM
Bob Willson - My post was not sexual as you put it.
I didn't put it! Read what I said again.

Grunt
27th May 2004, 08:01 PM
Kenmil, why go now? You've got a gold member and you'll keep it for much longer than ozwinner had his.

kenmil
27th May 2004, 08:13 PM
I didn't put it! Read what I said again.

Bob,
Sorry if I misinterpreted, but when you said "I too am guilty of having a somewhat sexual cast" I took it you meant we were both guilty of the same offence.

DavidG
27th May 2004, 09:19 PM
Ken
Don't let the dh's get to you.
Dave.. ;)

gatiep
27th May 2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the four line reply Ken. As the youngsters say nowadays: " Whatever."
I spent enough energy on this subject, will rather look at constructive threads, as nothing constructive will come out of this.

Cya
Joe

RETIRED
28th May 2004, 12:16 AM
I agree.

Eastie
28th May 2004, 10:15 AM
Ken - I haven't seen too many problems with your previous tea cup storms - to the contrary some have been a good read and balanced out otherwise one sided topics. However, to be putting urine in the pockets of moderators at the frequency and flow rate that you have will get you nowhere, especially when they are more often than not doing you, and the rest of us, a favour.

ndru
28th May 2004, 11:30 AM
Ken

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've always managed looked past your ascerbic wit and seen someone willing to challenge groupthink and political correctness. I didn't always agree your comments (some of them made me wince) but I'm sorry to see you go. :(

At the end of the day, its Iain's and his delegates' forum and if they feel the need to use the black pen its up to them.

Sprog
28th May 2004, 12:11 PM
Oooooh!

Touched a nerve there did I ?

ndru
28th May 2004, 02:24 PM
Touched a nerve there did I

I'd just prefer to see what is said or written, even if its in poor taste, along with all its objections instead of having it all blanked out. Any censorship gives me the creeps 1930s-Germany style.

Having said that, I've seen a lot of "spirited" opinion published on this forum, which keeps me coming back.

Wood Borer
28th May 2004, 03:27 PM
I agree that censorship is not necessarily a good thing because it is often used by people to hide or distort the truth.

The big difference between what did and the Nazis is that isn't forbidding someone to make certain comments he is just stopping those comments being broadcast from this Forum. People can make those comments on their own website or perhaps on billboards in their front gardens. In Nazi Germany people who made unfavourable comments about the goverment or it's policies disappeared.

has clearly indicated the reasons for doing so and I have no problems with his actions or reasons.

- Wood Borer

Sprog
28th May 2004, 04:10 PM
Andrew,

My post was to the Dummy Spitter, not about your post.

:D :D

ndru
28th May 2004, 05:37 PM
It was not my intention to label as a murderer, and I'm not 100% sure that this could reasonably be implied from what I wrote. I think its a cheap score to suggest I'm doing that. However, To : If you got the impression that I framed you as a murdering blackshirt I sincerely apologise. It was not my intention :o :o :o

My point was that the threat of censorship never helps a community running on free opinions like this forum does. If I had a sh*t experience with a retailer I think others would want to hear about it and this forum is a good medium. If I thought a product I bought had shortcomings I think others might want to hear it and this forum is a good medium. If I had a joke in poor taste which aims at some sacred cows this forum is a good medium. Why would I bother if thought I might be silenced because my style was frank or offensive? If you want tainted opinions with a distinct absence of what the commoner thinks, here's a tip : read woodworking magazines, look at glossy product brochures and, dare I say it, watch the DIY TV shows. The strength of this forum runs on its openness, not its exclusivity.

In short I don't agree with 's decision but I accept it because this is Iain's forum and he has delegated moderating to . I wouldn't want 's job on this forum, by the way. :D

Anyway, the main thing I wanted to do was to apologise to for any unintended offence. I don't want to go on and on about this issue before people get sick of me too.:)

Sprog - no probs. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Wood Borer
28th May 2004, 06:26 PM
NDRU,

I don't think anyone could accuse you of putting in a black or brown shirt with what you said. We all have different ideas about levels of censorship and where and if and how it should/should not be applied.

I am happy to discuss the matter over a beer and I am sure the pub would run out of beer long before we all agreed.

Now what would be the best beer to drink?

Have a good weekend,

Wood Borer

RETIRED
28th May 2004, 06:47 PM
It isn't Iains Forum but Neils as in Ubeaut Enterprises.

Sometimes I don't envy my job but most people play by the rules.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and hanging it on some ones products.

ozwinner
28th May 2004, 06:54 PM
Sometimes I don't envy my job but most people play by the rules.

Hey mister can I have a drive can I , ohhhhh go on mister, can I,can I,can I,can I, ooooooowh go on gisago.

Al

RETIRED
28th May 2004, 06:58 PM
NOPE :D

Sturdee
28th May 2004, 07:13 PM
NOPE :D

Spoilsport :D I wanted a go after Ozwinner. :)

Peter.

Ben from Vic.
28th May 2004, 07:27 PM
How about "Rolling Administorial Duties"

Everyone gets to be Moderator for a day.

Now wouldn't that be intersting? :eek: :eek:

Ben.

Ps. I bags first turn :D

RETIRED
28th May 2004, 09:00 PM
And diasastrous?

Wayne Davy
28th May 2004, 09:35 PM
Totally agree !

Going back a to the original topic (as I don't want a drive ;) ). I find it interesting that some people are of the opinion that they have a Right to do/post anything on this forum instead of realising it is a Privilege to even read something here. As you say, it is Neil's board and he (through you and the other Forum Gods) can dictate what is and is not acceptable - end of story.
My 2.2c.

Sir Stinkalot
28th May 2004, 11:29 PM
So should I stop calling the guy at the woodworking show who sells the finishing products Iain???? :confused:

Bob Willson
29th May 2004, 08:22 AM
(through you and the other Forum Gods) That should be the forum fairies Wayne, not Gods.

Neil
29th May 2004, 11:21 AM
Read the 1st post in any forum, it is titled PLEASE READ THIS This post was put on in August last year because of kenmil.

Also read the Bulletin Board Rules (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=3865) ..... These rules are what all members agree to when jioning these forums. Had you not clicked on the I AGREE button then you would not be a member.

If you think this is a free society you are sadly mistaken. Falsely accuse or slander someone in public and you can and most likely will be sued. These are PUBLIC forums and as such we expect that you will use a little bit of decorum or at least make some sort of attempt to abide by the rules.

and I are far from politically correct and definiely aren't prudes, but we and the other moderators and administrators know when to draw the line. Cencorship is our last resort and not something we like or even want to have to do.

I have so far gone in to bat for 3 members (more than once for a couple) and saved them from possible law suits one was a definite slander and had proceeded past the talking stage. I've got better things to do with my time than to keep on bailing out bloody idiots.

We could of course get rid of the Moderators and Administrators and just let the forums run riot. We could leave all the offensive and slanderous stuff on and let the idiots who post it take responsibility for their own stupidity.

We probably wouldn't have a Bulletin Board for very long and would probably lose lots of members but we would be letting the minioity have their so called "rights".

As an I would say in our own words. We have rules, you agreed to them. If you don't think you can play by those rules, FCUK OFF! (not a spelling mistake, or a brand name. You all know exactly what it means).

Neil

PS I didn't even see the post that got kenmils back up but if deleted it, it definitely needed to be deleted. At least this time I have been saved from the flood of emails that would have hit my in box because of it.

Ken you had a lot to offer these forums. Pitty you had to leave us, but I can't say I'm sorry to see you go.

ndru
29th May 2004, 12:56 PM
Neil - OK. :cool:

Wood borer - V. Sorry 'bout my overheated reaction. I got a bit carried away there :)

Peace all! :)

gatiep
29th May 2004, 05:49 PM
Neil

Thank you for putting this silly thread to rest. I agree 100% with you! We've all 'agreed' to the rules before we could join.

If every person is going to make an issue out of it if pulled into line.....what a mess this board would be in and I'll definately depart quickly AND quietly.

A lot of valuable bandwidth and space has been wasted by people just harping on this issue..............what for, I really don't comprehend. Someone is contributing financially (Neil) to provide the space and bandwidth. If a person is not happy here, I suggest they make a choice.....stay and conform.........or just leave quietly, this forum will be a better place without such a person.

This thing of 'threatening to leave' is absolute nonsense and only another way of attracting attention. If you want attention, get a girl/boy-friend, join a singles or friendship club, go cry on your mother's shoulder..... It reminds of schoolboy mentality....primary school, not even high school. What makes it even worse is when the person now 'crying' is a person that has been stirring and upsetting other members for a long time!

Before posting anything, think of the consequences, will it upset people unnecessarily, if so don't post it. If you want to upset someone in particular, send him/her a pm and sort it out in private. I am sure the majority of members here are not interrested in squables, but are here for Woodworking which is our mutual interrest.

Thanks again Neil....hopefully we can enjoy this board as responsible adults in the future!

Thank you too for this magnificient facility that you so generously provide, I appreciate being able to use it to learn and also to pass on the bit that I know.

Cya
Joe

Bob Willson
29th May 2004, 06:31 PM
just a couple of things Joe. :)

Nobody really reads the rules. It is like those agreements that you get whenever you download a bit of shareware. Who reads all of those?

Neil doesn't pay for uploads, only the people reading the stuff pay for it to be downloaded to them.

Nobody makes anybody read the various threads. Why do you keep coming back if it annoys you so much?

Thanks to Neil and company for making the board as free as it is. It is quite a nice mixture of woodwork and non-woodwork. I thoroughly enjoy everything I see and do here. I might even pay for the privelege.... Nah, just kidding. :D

Caliban
29th May 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi all
As the one who stuck up for Ken the most and the only one he didn't thank... well you can imagine what I think. :eek:
However that is beside the point,
This post is to say that anyone who says something stupid and can't hack the resulting heat should get out of the kitchen. No one knows how to say stupid things better than me, but isn't being an Aussie all about being able to take it as well as dish it out?
has taken heaps of subtle digs from me, edited me a few times and still manages to chuckle about our silly posts, even occasionally posts silly replies when dared to.
Perhaps a piece of 4x2 would be a simpler solution, especially as this is a wood forum. :p

gatiep
29th May 2004, 07:16 PM
Bob Wilson

Only one point you made needs a clarification.
When one has subscribed to a post, one can get an email when new replies have been posted. After I posted my original, I just deleted the emails as they come through. When Ken did his thank you list I responded.

When I saw that there was a reply from Neil I was interested to see what his point of view was.

Therefore I had a read of what Neil had to say. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I'll just unsubscribe from this thread now, I do not want more emails on this subject coming through as I consider the matter as stale, boring and closed

Have a great weekend
Cya
Joe

RETIRED
29th May 2004, 07:54 PM
It is closed!