PDA

View Full Version : New Model Hotrod

scotty60
28th February 2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Everyone here's my new toy,

Its a 32 ford coupe got out of a magazine. I had downloaded a picture of 1 i was going to copy off but this made it a bit easier with plans. I have blown it up 200% which made it hard for timber size for body so i had to glue four pieces together to get the thickness and width.It ends up about 300 x 150 in size.The next step was to cut out the seat area which was fun not being able to use the scroll saw all had to be cut buy saw and filed by hand.Next step was the cutting out the engine bay which was done the same way.

more soon

:NZ3:

CHEERS

:drink2: :bbq2:

AUSSIE
28th February 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Everyone here's my new toy,

Its a 32 ford coupe got out of a magazine. I had downloaded a picture of 1 i was going to copy off but this made it a bit easier with plans. I have blown it up 200% which made it hard for timber size for body so i had to glue four pieces together to get the thickness and width.It ends up about 300 x 150 in size.The next step was to cut out the seat area which was fun not being able to use the scroll saw all had to be cut buy saw and filed by hand.Next step was the cutting out the engine bay which was done the same way.

more soon
Geeez Scotty, you are a fast worker.You must have just got this mag late in the week.Now you have got the car half finished:o

scotty60
28th February 2009, 10:02 PM
Yep head down bum up

CHEERS

scotty60
28th February 2009, 10:46 PM
Next,

Was cutting out the side panels and glueing them onto the body. After the glue dried i had to cut the shape into the body, once that was done i sanded it into shape. Then came mounting the motor so i had to cut out the bonnet to accomidate the blower which isnt part of the plans in the mag i decided to hot it up a bit with the blower, big tyres, steering wheel,gear stick and glass screen. I will paint this one in harliquin 2 pack.As you can see in the photos i have bogged up most joins.Once the body is ready i will use a 2 pack sanding sealer over it to give the paint a good substate to work with.More to come soon

CHEERS

AUSSIE
28th February 2009, 10:52 PM
So, when I get up in the morning I expect to see the finished model:D

Aussie:2tsup:

scotty60
1st March 2009, 10:23 AM
Sorry not finished Aussie im off to the shed now so i will upate tonight

CHEERS

scotty60
1st March 2009, 08:17 PM
Well today started out cutting out the grill which was all going great till i got to the last 1mm to take off the last edge and bang the disc sander grabbed it . So i cut another one which worked out fine, Next was machining up the tyres that took a little while.After they where machined i screwed them on to set the level of the car, once that was done i wanted a better look so i decided to put the holes in the rims to lift it. Then i moved on to turning up the gear stick and the steering wheel and mounting them,once done i routed out where the windscreen is going that ill cut at work tomorrow out of 4mm glass. I am still contaplating wether to put the roof, on i will still make it up then have a look to see how it looks.

More soon

CHEERS

AUSSIE
1st March 2009, 09:11 PM
Scotty.Still not finished? Oh well it is the weekend,and there are other things to do:D:D
If that broken grill was mine,I would use CA glue.You wouldnt know it was broken after a cleanup.Good stuff at the hobby shop.Get activator as well.I just thought of something else.I use wax paper under articals I glue.It just peels off when glue is dry.
:2tsup:
Car is coming along fine. Is that methanol I can smell?:brava

scotty60
1st March 2009, 09:18 PM
I had stuck it together twice already , i was going to stick it back together again but couldnt find missing peice it went flying, i loked for 5 minutes then gave up.

CHEERS

AUSSIE
1st March 2009, 09:30 PM
I know what you mean.A bumper bar went missing,back in sept I think it was.Spent time looking .Gave up and made another.Still havent found it!!!!

WoodJunky
1st March 2009, 11:43 PM
if you are going to decide to leave the roof of, you will have one tough looking 32 Hi boy. :2tsup:

AUSSIE
4th March 2009, 08:58 AM
I had stuck it together twice already , i was going to stick it back together again but couldnt find missing peice it went flying, i loked for 5 minutes then gave up.

I just saw your shed photos,I had a shed like that years ago.I know why you couldn't find the bit:oo:
Aussie:U:U

scotty60
4th March 2009, 08:48 PM
Yeh i know to many tools and to much stuff, ive thrown and collected ,thrown and collected, decided need bigger shed,so i think ill move the garage into the house and house into garage than i can have woodworking room ,metal room, bodyshop,diy etc sounds great. I dont think the other half would be impressed :wtf1::wtf1::wtf1:

scotty

CHEERS

artme
5th March 2009, 09:35 AM
Great WIP and a Great piece Scotty!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
7th March 2009, 08:21 PM
Update

did a little bit of work on it during the week i started on making the headlights and also the taillights then i started to make a metal grill which went wrong so i will be starting that one again, and also got the glass screen cut and fitted.
Today i stripped it back down and applied 4 coats 2 pack sanding sealer on all items,half way through i bumped the motor and it fell onto the ground flattening the corner of the air intake :doh: so thats another repair ive got to do. Dont think ill be working on it tomorrow got rellows coming over for bbq.Ive also put a pic of the colour im thinking of using little bit hard to see but changes gold to red.

Scotty

:aussie5:

CHEERS

:tequila: :bbq2:

AUSSIE
7th March 2009, 08:59 PM
Its looking Mean Scotty:D

scotty60
8th March 2009, 08:51 PM
Well i managed to get a few things done today after the rellowes left. First i did the headlight then got stuck into the grille.First i started by cutting up some off the wifes curtain brackets then laying them down on fire proof mat and silver soldering them together,all worked out well this time the other day the silver solder ran all through to the front of the grille stuffing it.i want to do the grille,heads,blower,wheel rims with the new killer chrome its about $75.00 an areosol can or $450.00 lt .Expensive but will look great i may even try to get through sponsorship,the wholesaler is company i use to work for will work on that one.

scotty

CHEERS

shutdown
10th March 2009, 09:56 AM
Hey it is really great! How can you make it that much wonderful?

scotty60
11th March 2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks shutdown
It just takes time and practice, watching and learning

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
14th March 2009, 09:44 PM
Today i rubbed down the body and applied the base coat,once flashed off i applied the topcoat colour.After about five coats i let it dry for a while before scuffing it back then applying the final topcoat colour followed by the clear coat.I will let it dry for a couple of days before rubbing it back with 1200 grit and flow coating it.

scotty

CHEERS

Waldo
14th March 2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Scotty,

Very smick, very smick and that paint job is going to make it sing. :cool:

Yonnee
15th March 2009, 10:47 AM
Nice work Scotty. Sure is going to be one expensive model. That harlequin paint isn't cheap!!

scotty60
15th March 2009, 08:53 PM
Thjanks Waldo & Yonee,
i want it to be expensive,i dont want a cheap model i want quality,so heres a few more pics from today, i ended up cutting back and buffing it instead of flow coating.I have also added a floor mat to the interior.
My drink is pretty close to the paint jod dont you think.Its a triple sec sunrise,3/4 orange juice 1/4 triple sec splash grenadine.

scotty

CHEERS

Boxmaker
15th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Geeee this car has come a long way fast Scotty.
Looks wonderful.How are the wheels going?
You put up a good lot of photos as well.
Top Thread Keep them going:2tsup:
OH Yeh.It looks like I need some spray gear And Good stuff.
Boxy

scotty60
19th March 2009, 12:49 AM
Will be doing wheels on weekend,getting special paint on friday,so more pics soon

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
19th March 2009, 07:24 PM
Got my paint today for the rims, motor and steering wheel. I have 3 types bronse, brass or aluminium, now i got to decided which will look the best. I think it will be out of the brass or aluminium what do you think.

Scotty

CHEERS

Waldo
19th March 2009, 08:24 PM
I'd reckon aluminium (without pics to go by) as the head would be aluminium, the rocker :shrug: and the mags/wheels that has to be aluminium.

AUSSIE
19th March 2009, 08:32 PM
I'd reckon aluminium (without pics to go by) as the head would be aluminium, the rocker :shrug: and the mags/wheels that has to be aluminium.

:wtg::repplus:

WoodJunky
19th March 2009, 09:41 PM
you have got 2 votes so far for aluminium, so I will make it 3 as I think the bronze might clash too much with the main colour of the car

scotty60
20th March 2009, 06:35 PM
Aluminium it is,

Just been down the shed again rubbing down wheels,motor etc and got a few cotes of black basecoat on them,let dry for a while then masked them ready for the aluminium coating tomorrow. Then i sunday on will scuff the aluminium with a scotchbrite pad to bring up the gloss of the aluminium then put a final coat of topcoat clear over them all to retain the gloss.More pics tomorrow.

scotty

opps i cant do pics at the moment i had a major crash and have to reinstall all my programs again so i better get busy.i will add pics here later.

CHEERS

HOOKED.UP
20th March 2009, 10:31 PM
Scotty,

Great piece of work mate.
You are a truly talented and gifted individual.
Thanks for sharing your work.

Paul

scotty60
20th March 2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks Hooked up,

I put it down to being a spraypainter/panel beater by trade. I was such a perfectionist and i try to carry that through with everything that i do.

Scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
21st March 2009, 09:03 PM
Ok today got the tyres etc masked up and coated with the aluminium.Tomorrow will scuff up then clear.

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
22nd March 2009, 08:50 PM
Scuffed up the aluminium but wasnt to impressed with the result so i decided to recoat all parts with the harliquin except for the grille.Got everything done and cleared ecept for the motor which i had a few problems with so it will be done later.

scotty

CHEERS

AUSSIE
22nd March 2009, 09:00 PM
Scotty.You have got me going.Well I am thinking about making a couple now.
I was looking at the plans ,just as your posting poped up tonight.Did you say you enlarged it 2x ?

scotty60
22nd March 2009, 09:12 PM
yeh 200% ends up about 150mm wide 320 long

scotty

CHEERS

WoodJunky
22nd March 2009, 09:30 PM
starting to look good scotty, shame about the aluminum on the wheels as the grill turned out pretty good. It would have been interesting to see how the bronze or brass coloured wheels would have looked.

scotty60
22nd March 2009, 09:48 PM
I will have a play with them to see how they turn out,im hoping the brass will turn out like brass does.

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
29th March 2009, 11:04 PM
Got motor rubbed down and recoated and mounted.

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
15th April 2009, 10:39 PM
heres some pics of the finished item.

scotty

CHEERS

AUSSIE
15th April 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Scotty
Very good Mate.You are razing the bar a bit more.Good Job.How many are you going to make?:2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
15th April 2009, 11:03 PM
not sure im thinking of doing a hotrod t model next or even another chopper.

scotty

CHEERS

WoodJunky
15th April 2009, 11:30 PM
Hello Scotty

you have done a damn fine job and the chopper looks great as well

I noticed in the final photos you have left the roof off, is that what you have decided to do ?

scotty60
15th April 2009, 11:41 PM
yeh the roof is going on the other roadster

scotty

CHEERS

BrettG
25th April 2009, 12:48 AM
wow excellent model! That's a brilliant paint job, I've seen that paint on cars before, amazing stuff.

ummm... I have the overwhelming urge to go a start a car model now..

Very nice work mate

:clap: