PDA

View Full Version : Khaya Buffet/side board

spokeshave
28th February 2009, 09:32 PM
Hi all.

This thing has taken 3 years and it's finally done. SWMBO is happy that it's done which makes me happy too. It kept getting put on the back-burner for other people's requested items or the other thing's that life throw's at you, namely kid's.

As the title say's it's made from Khaya (african mahogany) and is the first project i've completed from scratch. Normally i would just purchase dressed timber but on this occasion i bought slabs and dressed them myself. It sure can be a challenging timber to work with, binding and twisting when it's being cut. I found it best to always cut roughly oversize and let it sit for a while then machine to final size.
The end result is worth the effort though, coming up beautifully after a couple of coats of Wipe-on-Poly.

I followed the other half request's closely as it was made for her, so all steps were passed through her first.
She wanted the mesh on the door's and after being unsure at first, i think they look fantastic (photo's don't look as good as the real thing).

Other than that it's a pretty straight forward unit.

Hope you all like it. As always comments welcome (positive and constructive).

Steven.

Wongo
28th February 2009, 09:45 PM
Strong work there Steven. The top looks fantastic.

koala_1977
28th February 2009, 10:06 PM
WOW im godb smacked at the grain of the timber....... its beautiful....... just wondering whats in the door panels.... cheers ken

RufflyRustic
1st March 2009, 10:01 AM
Stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! african mahogany aye? Must keep that in mind, for if I ever come across some.

Lucky SWMBO!!! :D

cheers
Wendy

Ironwood
1st March 2009, 10:34 AM
Nice Job Steven.

Khaya is beautiful looking timber isnt it, almost like a hologram when you look at the quartersawn stuff once it has a finish on it.

What sort of mesh have you used on the doors? Is it the stainless steel security screen stuff?

spokeshave
1st March 2009, 11:55 AM
WOW im godb smacked at the grain of the timber....... its beautiful....... just wondering whats in the door panels.... cheers ken

What sort of mesh have you used on the doors? Is it the stainless steel security screen stuff?

Thanks all, we are both happy with the end result.

Right on the money Ironwood, it is stainless security mesh. Cost about $70 for a sheet 2000 by 750 and very easy to cut to size, a bit of quad to fit it and it was done.

Thanks again.

Steven.

Harry72
2nd March 2009, 01:17 PM
Very nice Steve

burraboy
3rd March 2009, 07:17 AM
Nice job. My eye can't get used to the mesh fronts and solid sides. Traditionally it's the other way around. You can't do another one that way so I can compare?

orraloon
3rd March 2009, 02:40 PM
Top job there Stephen,
Very nice bit of timber.
Regards
John

Howdya do that
3rd March 2009, 02:58 PM
There should be a lifetime of browny points in that Steven:2tsup:

Ian Smith
3rd March 2009, 04:00 PM

It's a nice job no doubt but you'll learn, if you don't already know, that you can't accumulate brownie points..

That buffet has the same value as a bunch of flowers ....sad but true

Ian

Strydr
3rd March 2009, 05:30 PM
Nice work ! :)

Do you have other photos of the construction process ?

spokeshave
3rd March 2009, 08:20 PM

It's a nice job no doubt but you'll learn, if you don't already know, that you can't accumulate brownie points..

That buffet has the same value as a bunch of flowers ....sad but true
Ian

Too true!!! It's taken me so long to finish this thing that any browny points are long gone. All i got was a request for the next job.

Do you have other photos of the construction process ?

Sorry Strydr, no wip pics. Sometimes i went for months without touching it, so photo's weren't a thought.

I can say that over such a long period the techniques i used changed in different areas. I used biscuit's for the top, stub tenon and grooves for the end assemblies, half laps for the face frame, reversible door panel bits for the doors and draw fronts and dovetails for the draws.
I know words are no subsitute for pics, sorry.

Steven.

Al B
4th March 2009, 08:31 AM
WOW nice work Steven. It looks beautiful, Well done :2tsup:

Rattrap
4th March 2009, 08:43 AM
Top job Steven, love the grain in the timber. SWMBO should be very proud & rightly so.

artme
6th March 2009, 04:34 PM
Beautiful work Steven!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like those doors. They give some relief to the strength of the timber colour and grain pattern.

Honorary Bloke
15th March 2009, 06:31 AM
Very very nice indeed. Two thumbs up!:2tsup: Beautiful grain.