PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners of both drill press and dedicated morticer

Ben from Vic.
28th February 2009, 10:57 PM
I have the use of a cr@py little Ryobi drill press and have been looking at purchasing my own, but then I considered a dedicated morticer and wondered how much, and for what, would you use a drill press if you owned both?

I ask this question to try to figure out the allocation of funds for each machine.

Currently I have my eye on the CarbaTec DP-3125B 1HP 12 Speed Extra Heavy Radial Bench Drill Press (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/drill-presses/carba-tec-1hp-12-speed-extra-heavy-radial-bench-drill-press), but it's not cheap (even on sale) and i've been wondering if the money could be better spent?

Ben.

BobR
28th February 2009, 11:17 PM
I have both. If funds permitted me to purchase only one, then it would be the drill. The dedicated mortiser is just that, a dedicated mortiser. One the other hand, the drill can be used to make a mortise via an attachment or by drilling the stock and completing it with a chisel. Also, for pure drilling, a drill press can make life so much easier, especially with large size bits. I would use the drill far more often than the mortiser.

Ben from Vic.
2nd March 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks Bob, I'll keep that in mind.:)

Jim Carroll
2nd March 2009, 05:27 PM
All depends on how much mortising you intend to do.

If only a couple of small jobs then the drill press will handle this if any more then the mortiser is better and easier to use. So you would need both.

Ben from Vic.
2nd March 2009, 06:58 PM
Most of my furniture is made with M&Ts which I think means that I'd use a Mortiser a lot more than a drill press. If I had a mortiser, the main uses I can think of for a drill press would be the odd large or precise hole and for spinning my sanding drums, whereas a mortiser would potentialy get a lot more work on all the M&Ts. Just having a think about it before I go out and spend all my hard earned on a monster drill press and then find that the money could heve been better alocated.

Ben.