PDA

View Full Version : We got rules 'round 'ere...

jhunt_2000
26th May 2004, 08:43 PM
Okay guys, I put my two cents worth in on the GMC Lathe thread about not taking the chisel off the toolrest but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about things never to do with your lathe. What do you all think, are there hard and fast rules in this game? Aside from don't try and cut the tip off your thumb with a handsaw when your rounding blanks (my latest... :( )

gatiep
26th May 2004, 10:23 PM
There are heaps of don'ts......
Don't adjust the toolrest with the lathe running......you may get away with it, but one day is one day.
Don't start the lathe without checking if the timber rotates freely, without fouling up on the tool rest

c'mon guys....lets have some more

Sir Stinkalot
26th May 2004, 10:34 PM
Dont put the sharp skew chisel between your knees when you adjust the tool rest. I do it all of the time but the other day took a nasty slice out of a finger.

DarrylF
26th May 2004, 10:39 PM
Don't wear a tie while turning.

Take the chuck key out before you turn it on.

Wait 'till the CA glue dries before you turn it back on.

Not through personal experience mind :)

gatiep
26th May 2004, 11:21 PM
Don’t work without eye protection.

Don’t sand most timbers without some sort of dust protection.

Don’t use wood that is split, cracked or have foreign objects embedded in it.

Don’t adjust the tool rest whilst the late is running!

Don’t use blunt tools.

Don’t work with a large amount of dust and shavings on the floor. Keep your work area clean.

Don’t use the lathe bed to hammer things on. Use a work bench or anvil instead.

Don’t hammer the work onto the spur centre while in the spindle. This will damage the headstock bearings.

Don’t leave the lathe dirty after use. Dust it off, clean of shavings and wipe it with a slightly oily rag. I prefer Inox.

Don’t forget to check that the lathe speed is correct for the work you are going to do. Large pieces of wood need slower speeds. Rather start off too slow than too fast.

Don’t forget to stand aside when first switching on the lathe.

Don’t forget to check that the work is held securely every so often

Don’t forget to wear protective clothing. A turning smock makes turning much more pleasant. No shavings down your neck or in your pockets.

Don’t forget to install an emergency “off” switch if your lathe switch is not easily accessible.

Don’t work on your lathe if you have taken drugs, alcohol, cough mixtures or if you are not feeling well or are tired.

Don’t leave your lathe running unattended. Switch off even if you are just fetching something from the workbench.

Don’t allow children to play in your workshop.

I think thats enough for now!

Neil
27th May 2004, 01:28 AM
Don't wear ear muffs or other hearing protection as you won't be able to hear the change in the sound of the timber just before it explodes into a thousand pieces of shrapnel. For the same reason don't have the radio up too loud.

Kev Y.
27th May 2004, 10:49 AM
Dont forget to tell your SPOUSE to not tap you on the shoulder while you are working on the lathe!!!

From experience ..scares the crap out of you.... (Another reason I got rid of her :cool: )

Kev

arose62
27th May 2004, 12:49 PM
Amen and "Me Too" to that, Brudda, although I'm keeping mine (seeing as how she bought me the lathe...).

Cheers,
Andrew

gatiep
27th May 2004, 10:06 PM
OK we had heaps of "Don'ts" how about a positive one?

Do enjoy your woodturning!

Cya
Joe

bitingmidge
28th May 2004, 08:39 AM
what everyone else thinks about things never to do with your lathe.

Look, I've actually never used a lathe, (all that changes Monday...yippee!), but this thread has really got me thinking:

Don't ever:

1) Cross a road with it without first looking left, then right then left again.

2) Leave it to mind your drinks while you go to relieve yourself.

3) Tell it about this forum, or it will want to spend all it's time in front of a computer.

P

Sprog
28th May 2004, 04:31 PM
Look, I've actually never used a lathe, (all that changes Monday...yippee!),

P

Now you will be hooked and have no time for anything else :D

What sort of lathe ?

bitingmidge
28th May 2004, 05:29 PM
My beloved is giving me a Jet Mini-lathe with an extension bed for my birfday.. Was a particularly good deal...still in the box and close to GMC price, and I'll be happy to either keep it and get a bigger one or upgrade if the habit catches on.

I have carefully studied the what not to do's, and have a neighbour who has a "bit" of experience in these things so hope to retain both eyes and all my digits during the learning process.

Cheers,

P

Ian007
28th May 2004, 07:20 PM
Dont forget to buy a lath before you try to do some wood turning :)

must put that on my 2 get list!!! :rolleyes:

ozwinner
28th May 2004, 07:59 PM
My beloved is giving me a Jet Mini-lathe with an extension for my birfday..
Mmmm..... I dont now how to put this.......but ahuuummm........eeeerrrrr.
Not some sort of hint is it?

Al http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angry/frusty.gif

bitingmidge
28th May 2004, 09:40 PM
Not some sort of hint is it? :eek:

You mean you haven't bought it yet????

:mad: :mad: :mad:

P

SeanS
20th June 2004, 02:40 PM
Don't leave the tool on the rest (close to the wood) if you are doing anything other than engaging the tool with the wood - I wrecked a nice bit of jarrah as I was leaning in and running my left hand on my nice smooth turning, with the gouge in the right hand still on the rest. The right hand followed a bit, the tool dug in, the jarrah ripped in a couple of areas (bits flying everywhere). One badly bruised thumb and shoulder later, I learnt the lesson!

smidsy
21st June 2004, 02:10 AM
It's interesting about safety glasses, I wear them as a matter of course (I found out the painful way about things in eyes and have a scarred left eye to prove it) but when I went to a wood turning group I was the only person there wearing them.
Smidsy

glock40sw
22nd June 2004, 09:36 AM
G'day All.
When I first started work in the sawmill in 1977, An old bloke came up to me and said " Do you know the wise old sawmillers secret?" I of course said "NO".
He said " never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your dick, and you will always die with ten fingers".
Since then I have always said this to every new bloke that starts at my place. When one of them has an accident, they usually look at me and say " I know, I know"

This little gem may be handy to anyone else that reads this.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton