PDA

View Full Version : outdoor piece

Daddy3x
1st March 2009, 01:14 PM
I wondered if anyone has laminated any weather resistant wood and spun a birdbath. I do not know why I want to do this, besides the fact that the wife asked me to pick up a new one...probably because I am always trying to find find ways to do things that "aren't a good idea". The bath would sit in an elevated cirle wire holder that is already in place, so there would be no base. There are wood boats with "spar urethane", correct? If it ruined in a short time, I would just have to go back to the shop. I seemed to have unlimited reasons to do so.

Thanks
Scott

OGYT
1st March 2009, 01:49 PM
Scott, we have some stuff here in the upover called Valspar Varathane Clear Finish. I put it on some Baltic Birch oars that I made (3 coats). The stayed in water for a long time, and never cracked or came apart. I have a bird house that I put it on (3 heavy coats) that stays out in the weather all the time. It looks like it needs another coating.
You could even put a coat of epoxy on the inside where it'd hold the water.
I'd say go for it! Just keep an eye on it, and you might have to put another coat of finish on it a time or two, but it'd be worth it, to know you'd done it. :D