PDA

View Full Version : What i did in Brissy - with pics

Calm
1st March 2009, 09:56 PM
Dont profess to be a camerman so dont pick on the happy snaps:no::~

Ok i went to the BBQ on te Gold coast for Australia day - great day met plenty of forum members and some partners. Impressed with the prize draw at the end of the day - great tradition to bring to the turnfest in Ballarat on May2nd.
97966 97967 97968

Had a look in Neils shed, crowded for room but everthing you mant is there. A good supply of wood as well - couldnt get him to release any for the trip back home (must be losing my touch) there was an example of some spindle turning (one for you )

97972 97973

An invitation by some members to visit their sheds for a look was very nteresting. Met MicD - what a bench he has as well as the unit in his house. A very skilled joiner at what he does - very impressed. ( thanks for the wood to bring back as well.

That week my mate's truck fell over while he was unloading at the Ipswich tip and he hit the arm rest on the driversdoor - broke 4 ribs and colapsed a lung (should have heard the rubbish he went on with - sook)

Calm
1st March 2009, 10:02 PM
Then a trip to see Carl helped with a load of logs on the trailer, finished slabbing a log with the 660 (my saw carl's mill)
97987 97988 97989

Then went again to help carl another day with the crane truck to move some hoop logs to his place. cut some end grain slabs with the mill - yes i had a go with the LUCAS - Allan is right I DO NEED ONE.:2tsup::B

Calm
1st March 2009, 10:17 PM
Then a day trip with Star - what a man - some might mistake him for Jonesy in Dads Army but no he is a real gentleman - we went for a drive to Nimbin (i hope thats how you spell it) when you walk down the street their tobacco seems to have a funny smell . That was a chance to see life in the 70's and yes some of them are still their - Should have bought my girls some "flower Power" dresses but didnt think of that until 1/2 way back to brissy.

Also met another Gentleman - STAN (whatever his name is) I'll just call him BIG STAN his shop, knowledge of wood and just the man himself - anyone down that way should go and see him, hew is the last of the gentlemen in timber -
97992 97993 97994 97995 97996

Some of the work in Stans shop was fantastic - some appealed to others but not to me - He had a table upstairs that i didnt take a photo of but it is something else t look at.
97997 97998 97999 98000 98001 98002 98003 98004 98005 98006

That was a day trip and a half - Thanks Stan & Peter

Calm
1st March 2009, 10:27 PM
Then it was up to my cousins for a week - modify the lathe (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=66283&page=3) - slab a silky oak (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=89102) (still some left) - play some golf, talk a lot of s&^^%te and relax.

BAck to my mates for his wedding - sore ribs & all - then another week - caught up with Munruben, Artme and then Sunday out to see Rufflyrustic and Funky. Left Queensland about 2 pm for a short drive to sydney then Ballarat. ( arreived 8.30 monday night)

So i have had a great time, met some of the nicest members of the forum, brought home some wood, changed the lathe and really looking forward to work on tuesday NOT:no::no:

Brought home a few entries for the Charity Bowl Competition as well.

Thanks all and best of luck to all.

dai sensei
3rd March 2009, 03:42 PM
Great to meet you again and good to see you had a good time.

RufflyRustic
3rd March 2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, Seconded! Brilliant to meet you David :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy