PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Tokyo - Woodworking stuff to see?

jackliveshere
2nd March 2009, 11:34 AM
The MRS & I are heading to Tokyo for a week in 2 weeks time (got some cheap fares on Jetstar so thought we better take advantage!). I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on things to see in and around Tokyo? Or must sees, so to speak. Also wondering if there is anything nice to see that is woodworking specific? Like furniture, architecture, workshops etc. Thanks in advance :2tsup:

Cheers,

Will

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 04:46 PM
Well... the obvious one is dropping in on Stu_In_Tokyo for a cuppa & chinwag... and to check whether his workshop really lives up to the Video Clip of Stu's Dungeon. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=40927) :D

I'm sure if you sent him a PM he'd happily suggest many places of interest.

jackliveshere
2nd March 2009, 05:00 PM
Hey thanks Skew - I will send Stu a PM and see what he reckons about things to do :)

Cheers,

WILL

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 05:03 PM
I just hope he sees your PM in time... a quick check shows he hasn't logged onto the board for about a fortnight.

:fingerscrossed:

ian
2nd March 2009, 11:22 PM
Architecture – just wander arround wth your eyes open

Are you into Disneyland?

Woodworking tools – Tokyu Hands is convienient but not necessarily the cheapest (somewhere I have the address of a tool store in Ikiburu (sp?) )

Are you only going to Tokyo or will you get down to Kyoto and Kyobe?
There's a great WW museum in Kobe

ian

jackliveshere
3rd March 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that Ian. We were planning only going to Tokyo as we're only there for a week. But we were going to do one day trip; not sure whether Kyobe is within a day trip? And no, don't think we'll be going to Disneyland this time around :) Maybe once some kids come along :2tsup:

Cheers,

WILL

ian
3rd March 2009, 09:16 PM
We were planning only going to Tokyo as we're only there for a week. But we were going to do one day trip; not sure whether Kyobe is within a day trip? And no, don't think we'll be going to Disneyland this time aroundDisneyland is fun even without kids

Kobe is just under 600kms from Tokyo, the fast train only takes 2hrs 40mins, and runs every 20mins or so, so a day trip is feasible – just be sitting down when they quote the fare

Other possible day trips are
Hakone to see Mt Fuji — the best way is to buy a "Hakone Pass" from Shinjuku station look here www.odakyu.jp/english (http://www.odakyu.jp/english)
Kurobe Dam route — a very long day but great scenary
Nikko
Kyoto — just over 500km from Tokyo, takes 2hr 12min, trains every 5 to 10 mins — so a day trip is again feasible, but the rail fare could shock you

I suggest you buy a seven day rail pass — last time I looked the cost was less than the return super express rail fare to Kyoto

Be forewarned, trains run on time — if it's 8:55 and your train goes at 9:03, the train at the platform is not yours. Your train will arrive between 9:01 and 9:02 and depart when the second hand reaches 9:03.

Oh, when you get to Narita, purchase a SUICA card each. Use the card to travel into Tokyo and on the subways, metro rail lines and buses. It also works in most vending machines.

ian

ian
3rd March 2009, 09:18 PM
Also browse this site www.jnto.go.jp (http://www.jnto.go.jp)

jackliveshere
3rd March 2009, 09:42 PM
Hey thanks for those tips Ian :2tsup: We definitely wanted to check out Mount Fuji while we are there (fingers crossed it's clear). I'll research those other suggestions you made as well. We're actually staying 5mins walk from Shinjuku station, so that should be nice and central.

I take it you've been to Japan before mate? Have you seen the cherry blossoms before? Apparently they can bloom as early as the last couple of weeks in March, so I'm hoping that we score it lucky and can see them - I've read that it's really something. We've also made a couple of mental notes of places/things to see from surfing the net:
- Tsukiji Fish Market
- Tokyo Government Offices - good view of Tokyo for free
- Kamakura (close to Tokyo, meant to be pretty good for old school Japan stuff)

Cheers,

WILL

ian
3rd March 2009, 10:09 PM
I take it you've been to Japan before mate? :- I've got to the stage where I've lost count

and I can't speak or read Japanese

Have you seen the cherry blossoms before? Apparently they can bloom as early as the last couple of weeks in March, so I'm hoping that we score it lucky and can see them - I've read that it's really something. Cherry blossoms (or sakura) is kind of BIG — like a nightly update on the evening news on how far the blossom front has progressed, crowds, the works
get yourself a bottle of sake and sit on the ground under the blossoms.
If the 2009 blossoms have started a bit of googling should find the "blossom front"

ian

chrisb691
3rd March 2009, 10:16 PM
If you get to Kyoto, there's a multi story art/crafts center that is a must visit.

jackliveshere
4th March 2009, 09:32 AM
Cherry blossoms (or sakura) is kind of BIG — like a nightly update on the evening news on how far the blossom front has progressed, crowds, the works
get yourself a bottle of sake and sit on the ground under the blossoms.
If the 2009 blossoms have started a bit of googling should find the "blossom front"
ian

Yeah I was checking for a forecast on the cherry blossoms last night. I read that they are predicting an early start this year in Tokyo for the last week of March. We're leaving at the start of the last week, so fingers crossed it does come a little early.

If you get to Kyoto, there's a multi story art/crafts center that is a must visit.

Thanks Chris. We were hoping to check out Kyoto, but I don't think we'll get there now. Maybe next time :)

Cheers,

WILL

mic-d
4th March 2009, 08:18 PM
The Great Buddha, Tokyo Tower, The Sumo arena and the Edo Tokyo museum. Outside Tokyo, oh so much:o Nijo-jo castle in Kyoto for the nightingale floor and woodwork, Ginkakuji and Kinkakuji, and Todaiji temple in Nara (largest wooden building in the world).
Also if you're into history, a visit to a little inn in Kyoto called Terada-ya that was patronised by a samurai named Sakamoto Ryoma is well worth a visit. I was lucky enough to be one of the few gaijin to have an overnight stay there, one of my great memories from Japan.
The monestary in Mt Hiei is also an interesting visit for some.

Cheers
Michael

rodney
22nd August 2009, 10:50 PM
G'Day

How did the trip go, my wife and I are going in October for one month (1 week in Tokyo). I have tried to find woodworking places to visit via google without much success.

Cheers
Rodney

BobL
22nd August 2009, 11:17 PM
I lived in Tokyo for 4 months about 15 years ago, can tell you loads of tourist stuff but nothing woody.

I'd contact (ex?) member Stu Ablet <[email protected]>. He runs a liquor store in Tokyo and has an AMAZING microwoodshop in his basement, check out "www.ablett.jp/workshop/" you will be blown away by what he does in such a small space. And he's a top bloke as well!

Let me know how you go because I might be heading that way in about 12 months. Especially tool shops.

Gluepot
31st October 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend and shops that sell woodworking tools in Tokyo?

Thanks,
G.

Shutterbug
31st October 2009, 01:21 PM
Tokyu Hands (Google it)

or

Joyful Honda JOYFUL HONDA | English Joyfulhonda Information (http://www.joyfulhonda.com/english/index.htm)

Mike

Gluepot
31st October 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks Mike,

Greatly appreciated.

I am especially interested in buying a Japanese saw or two. Would you recommend either shop for a saw?

Also I would like to go shopping on Sunday, do you know if Tokyu Hands opens on Sunday? From my browse of their website it looks like Mon-Sat only.
tokyu-hands.co.jp (http://maps.google.com.au/local_url?q=http://shibuya.tokyu-hands.co.jp/&dq=%2Btraditional+%2Bwoodworking+tokyo&cid=16288257190860433844&gl=au&hl=en&cd=4&ei=mlHrSruHJ4OCjQOq1-DMCQ&ved=0CCgQ5AQ&sa=X&s=ANYYN7mA2kxgniglnCC9wwxSrYNpBsvfbA)

Thanks From,
G.

ian
31st October 2009, 11:33 PM
Tokyu Hands is usually open on Sundays.
From my trips to Tokyo, the Ikeburo store is probably the best for tools. The stores in Ginza and Shinjuju (spelling?), seem to carry fewer tools.
Whilst Tokyu Hands stores are easy to find and navigate, Japanese locals consider them to be expensive -- think DJs vs Target

If you can shop on a week day, I'll see if I can find the directions to a hardware store I know of in Ikeburo. You'll have to comunicate by sign language as I'm told they only speak Japanese.

Gluepot
7th November 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I visited a great shop in Asakusa (20mins on the train from Tokyo station). It had chisels, saws, sharpening stones, wooden planes, wood carving tools, and a variety of other tools and hardware. It is a small single room store however there is an interesting selection of tools.

The shop is:
Kikusue Cutlery Co Ltd
1-5-1 Asakusa Taito-Ku

Asakusa is well worth a visit if you are interested in more traditional Japanese buildings. It has some great shops. It is well known for kitchen shops and therefore has some shops that sell knives and scissors. Prices and quality are both high.

Cheers,
Gluepot

Shutterbug
7th November 2009, 05:52 PM
Joyful Honda has a good range of tools including Japanese saws.
It's easy to kill an hour or two in their stores.

Mike

ian
7th November 2009, 11:30 PM
I visited a great shop in Asakusa.
It had chisels, saws, sharpening stones, wooden planes, wood carving tools, and a variety of other tools and hardware. It is a small single room store however there is an interesting selection of tools.

The shop is:
Kikusue Cutlery Co Ltd
1-5-1 Asakusa Taito-Ku

GluepotGluepot
thanks for that tip.
I expect to be in Tokyo sometime next year.

do you have a map showing the store's location?