PDA

View Full Version : Back Yard Visitor

wheelinround
2nd March 2009, 12:20 PM
Our little Foxies started going off his rocker would not settle down, wheeled out to find he was barking at/around his kennel.

We are not far from Cowpasture Rd Hoxton Park along Hinchinbrook Creek which is about to be widened and in the process they are cutting down some real nice She oak's, and Eucalypts some have great burls on them. :~

Ok I went of track
Dogs going nuts, got him inside just incase behind his kennel was a Blue Tounge obviously he'd been inn the wars already a bit of tail missing and not a happy chap.

Of he went round the yard (dog in doors) LOML looks outside to see :((:o bloody Minor Birds dive bombing him he took refuge under the fence.

Pheonix
2nd March 2009, 05:28 PM
Looks good and healthy!

Old farmer
2nd March 2009, 05:34 PM
Wheelin, you will know it is handy to have a Blue Tongue in the garden as he/she will keep down the snails, beetles. Snail bait will kill him/her in time.

Of course, your great little foxy will have his nose out of joint if the lizard takes up residence within sight but, still, to have both would be a bonus.

wheelinround
2nd March 2009, 05:47 PM
LOML had never heard one hiss-n-spit before

She'll be keeping an eye on him even more for eating snails so her small patch he can groom for her all except the strawberries

Old farmer
2nd March 2009, 06:02 PM
Wheelin, the hiss-and-spit is all bluff, as is the swelling up but we have never had a Blue Tongue attack an human unless, sometimes, when picked up. It is good to use a bag or towel if picking up to move.

If your wife sees a few snails in her garden she can be assured all is well as the lizard needs a few around for feed and will get them in his/her good time.

Unfortunately, too many Blue Tongues are killed by being run over as they bask in the morning sun on the drive or track.

wheelinround
2nd March 2009, 06:08 PM
I had heard them do it when a kid and helping my mate source them for his collection.
One of these times one swung around and bit him right at the junction of the top thumb joint every year after for about 4 years a blue mark would appear.

No snail bait used as we also have lots of penny lizards and skinks and a few frogs.

I'd gladly hand feed it to the Miner/Minor Birds :D.

Ray

Wheelin, the hiss-and-spit is all bluff, as is the swelling up but we have never had a Blue Tongue attack an human unless, sometimes, when picked up. It is good to use a bag or towel if picking up to move.

If your wife sees a few snails in her garden she can be assured all is well as the lizard needs a few around for feed and will get them in his/her good time.

Unfortunately, too many Blue Tongues are killed by being run over as they bask in the morning sun on the drive or track.

Old farmer
2nd March 2009, 06:20 PM
Yes, I have heard that, Wheelin, have not seen it.

I don't think the Blue Tongues have sharp teeth and, so, a bite does not penetrate the skin, drawing blood, but bruises badly because he/she has strong jaws and a bad habit of not wanting to let go, possibly because of fear!

Blue Tongues are an handy lodger and will pay their way. Given time, and seeing your wife not afraid of him/her, will reassure even your brave Foxy and he, too, will accept the lizard.

I don't know if you have adders in your district. If you do, please do not mistake one on the path for the lizard!

wheelinround
2nd March 2009, 06:29 PM
Adders???:doh:

Last Adder (QLD Death Adder) I saw was camping down RNP Little Marely in the 60's curled up on a fellow campers chest we managed to separate them safely.

Yes more gummies like us old fellows with out or teeth in, yep we had to prise the bugger off his hand.

With the creek being destroyed by the RTA we are on the look out for snakes especially as a school is near by. Just 2 years ago one killed a dog 3 houses down.

Ray

Yes, I have heard that, Wheelin, have not seen it.

I don't think the Blue Tongues have sharp teeth and, so, a bite does not penetrate the skin, drawing blood, but bruises badly because he/she has strong jaws and a bad habit of not wanting to let go, possibly because of fear!

Blue Tongues are an handy lodger and will pay their way. Given time, and seeing your wife not afraid of him/her, will reassure even your brave Foxy and he, too, will accept the lizard.

I don't know if you have adders in your district. If you do, please do not mistake one on the path for the lizard!

Buzza
5th March 2009, 10:30 PM
This is a tip I heard from an old bloke. The Indian Mynah bird has now penetrated almost right across Australia with devastating effect.

The old bloke told me that if I kept a few handfuls of light gravel in handy spots around the yard, I could pick some up whenever they flew in, and wait until the bird was looking right at me, and throw the gravel right at him making a loud hissing noise. :((

These birds are so cunning, that they alert all others of their kind to the danger fact in your yard. After throwing gravel at them a few times, they will keep out of your area. It has worked for me, I no longer see them in my yard, and have not for a year or so. Unfortunately, they have driven out or killed of the green coloured honey-eaters.

Meanwhile, we have our geckos to entertain us night as they scoot around the window pane on the end of the verandah. :D