PDA

View Full Version : Walking sticks

Rum Pig
3rd March 2009, 08:56 AM
I turned a walking stick on the weekend. one of the kits and I thought it was going to be easy:no: I have not had so much trouble and frustration with anything like this:doh:
Lucky the recipient thought it was wonderful and is very happy with it. But i was almost to embarrassed to give it to her SWMBO convinced me it was OK and I was being to fussy.:roll:
So the reason for this thread is. Dose anyone have tips for making these walking sticks that they would like to share:U I would like to make another one just to get it right so any help would be appreciated:D

wheelinround
3rd March 2009, 09:14 AM
Tip No 1 :photo2::photo2:

Tip No 2 listen to SWMBO :;

Alastair
3rd March 2009, 11:42 AM
And describe details of the problems you had.

Then we may be able to help.

regards

Rum Pig
3rd March 2009, 12:43 PM
OK I was trying to avoid pic to save my embarrassment but I will post some tomorrow:B.
and a in depth description.

Ed Reiss
3rd March 2009, 12:57 PM
OK I was trying to avoid pic to save my embarrassment but I will post some tomorrow:B.
and a in depth description.

...why should you be any different than the rest of us:doh::D

new_guy90
3rd March 2009, 08:34 PM
...why should you be any different than the rest of us:doh::D

i second that :doh::U

show us the walking stick

Patrick

powderpost
3rd March 2009, 09:00 PM
I have a jig that fits into the banjo on the lathe, that simplifies boring the hole for the brass fittings. Will take some photos tomorrow. If I get enough time tomorrow,(retirement is a full time job.. :)), I will do a wip.
Jim

Rum Pig
4th March 2009, 08:59 AM
OK Here are my photos:oo:

The main problem I had was alignment every time I fitted a brass attachment it all seem to go out of alignment. if you look close to photo #1 and look along the stick it has a slight bend at the brass fitting:~ and if you look at photos #2,3 & 5 you can see where i had to trim the brass to become flush with the stick again:((
I also had to trim the brass at the joiner but that is not obvious
I'm glad I only had to use one joiner as the total length was only 740mm if I had to use the second even a blind man would have been ashamed:B
I will look forward to your pics Jim because I have to make another one now:doh:
On the up side the lady that it was made for apparently cried when she received she thought is was so nice she even named it after me:B

And ED I do not think I should be any different to you mob I just just well well thought well um I might um OH I don't know maybe it was the rum that made me think I could get away with it:doh:

Alastair
4th March 2009, 10:35 AM
Something which might help with the alignment.

Drill the holes on the ends before you do the final turning.

Then when you put it on the lathe, the cone of the live centre will ensure the t/s end is centered. Turn to dimension, leaving the h/s end a bit oversize. Then reverse, and repeat for the other end, aligning the h/s end by eye. Any error will be minimised over the length, compared to a centring error at the t/s.

Do the centre ferrule joints first, as they will be more critical, and the handle and toe last.

Thinking further, if you are doing only the final light cuts to true up, you can also grip a piece of hardwood in your chuck, and turn a cone centre on it. Rely on friction for drive, (probably OK for light cuts) or put a dab of hotmelt at the join. Let me know how you go.

regards

Rum Pig
4th March 2009, 11:41 AM
one of the problems is i have to drill the holes by hand. So I can centre it between holes but if the holes run 45 degrees to the stock when I screws the joiner in it will not be true if that makes sense:(

munruben
4th March 2009, 12:47 PM
Looks good to me and I think its all part of something that is hand made and finished. I think its great if you are not satisfied with your work because it always makes one strive to do better each time. I am never completely satisfied with any of my work be it turning, box making or picture framing. I strive for perfection but when you make something yourself, you are aware of every little flaw in the product and I think you are your own worst critic. Little imperfections are part of a hand made product.
Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :) Personally I think you did an excellent job.:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
4th March 2009, 12:58 PM
OK Here are my photos:oo:

The main problem I had was alignment every time I fitted a brass attachment it all seem to go out of alignment. if you look close to photo #1 and look along the stick it has a slight bend at the brass fitting:~ and if you look at photos #2,3 & 5 you can see where i had to trim the brass to become flush with the stick again:((
I also had to trim the brass at the joiner but that is not obvious
I'm glad I only had to use one joiner as the total length was only 740mm if I had to use the second even a blind man would have been ashamed:B
I will look forward to your pics Jim because I have to make another one now:doh:
On the up side the lady that it was made for apparently cried when she received she thought is was so nice she even named it after me:B

And ED I do not think I should be any different to you mob I just just well well thought well um I might um OH I don't know maybe it was the rum that made me think I could get away with it:doh:

See RP, that didn't hurt to post the pics...and FWIW you did a damn good job on the stick:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2009, 04:46 PM
Drill the holes on the ends before you do the final turning.

:yes:

Also, I imagine you have a Jacob's Chuck on a MT that'll fit your tailstock? And that you have a centre-steady?

I use a steady during turning, then simply bring it up to the tailstock end before backing off the tailstock so the stick is still supported squarely in the lathe. I've also turned a couple of jam chucks (that go into the Jacob's Chuck) which fit the brass fittings, allowing me to use the tailstock to insert them squarely into the end of the stick and as a clamp while the glue dies.

That way you avoid the dogleg problem altogether. All the other flaws are "acceptable" to the average customer - although they'll annoy YOU :D - but a dogleg...? Well... you had a good customer this time. :wink:

pitbull
4th March 2009, 04:53 PM
Looks good to me R.P. :2tsup:
What kind of wood did you use.? :)

Mulgabill
4th March 2009, 05:02 PM
Fancy calling a walking stick Rum Pig :rofl:

Ad de Crom
4th March 2009, 07:14 PM
Hey Rumpig, very good of you showing the walking stick.
Nothing wrong with your walking stick, it's a very good looking stick.
Ad :2tsup:

Rum Pig
5th March 2009, 09:04 AM
:yes:

Also, I imagine you have a Jacob's Chuck on a MT that'll fit your tailstock? And that you have a centre-steady?

I have the Jacobs chuck but not the centre-steady:no: I might have to look at get me one.

The timber I used was Black wattle finished with EEE and Shallawax
Thankyou to every one how has commented.

Gil Jones
5th March 2009, 09:30 AM
I cannot see why you were worried about posting a pic of it, you did quite well making that walking stick:2tsup:
Personally, I would rather have a walking stick all in one piece for better strength, but that would depend on the working length of the lathe.

Alastair
5th March 2009, 09:34 AM
I cannot see why you were worried about posting a pic of it, you did quite well making that walking stick:2tsup:
Personally, I would rather have a walking stick all in one piece for better strength, but that would depend on the working length of the lathe.

And your tolerance to dealing with flex and tool chatter turning a skinny flexible length:D

regards

Rum Pig
5th March 2009, 10:26 AM
The only reason I made into 2 pieces is so you can un screw for when you get into a car or plane e.t.c.
That stick was made from one piece of timber.

Whittling
4th August 2009, 10:36 AM
The only reason I made into 2 pieces is so you can un screw for when you get into a car or plane e.t.c.
That stick was made from one piece of timber.

Try asking your recipient if she goes to the trouble of unscrewing it when ever she gets into a car etc. My experience with these things is that they don't bother after a little while as its a fiddly job and 700 - 800 mm is not that awkward to put into a car in front of you. Maybe you don't need the joint at all.

As for the handle... seeing as you are buying that anyway you could try buying a carved wooden one or make one yourself. Make sure the handle overlaps the end of the stick and just dowel and sand them in.

pitbull
5th August 2009, 01:28 PM
Nice stick R.P.,:2tsup: how did you work out the
right length for it? :?A stick is something i
want to try making when i get back to
turning/woodworking. :)

Whittling
5th August 2009, 01:44 PM

I find the easiest way is to make them deliberately long and then just cut a bit off the bottom until they feel right for the recipient. Then you fit the rubber or metal cap.

Rum Pig
5th August 2009, 04:33 PM
I was given the measurement. Apparently the lady that the stick was made for kept picking up stick like objects for example a vacuum hose, until she found one that was spot on and then measured it with a tape measure.
Good luck with your return to turning:2tsup: