PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Class

Ozkaban
3rd March 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi,

As I'm new to wood turning, having only done pens to some satisfaction, I booked myself into a wood turning class at Trend Timber in Sydney's west. The instructor was John Ewart.

I mentioned to him that said to say hello. Being an excellent teacher, John is also an excellent narrator and a few of the yarns about were very interesting :; He did pay a nice compliment to though - 'The only civilised Victorian I've ever met' :D:D:D

The course was really worthwhile. Started at 7am and more than an hour's drive from my place was a little less than civilised, but considering how hot it gets in the afternoon on a lathe inside a shipping container/classroom, it was worth it. Saturday was spent learning the basics and then doing the rounding/planing/bead/cove and fillet exercise several times over. Seems such a simple thing but man it takes some concentration to master, no that I managed that but learning the technique from John was better than a book and now I've got something to practice.

On Sunday we did tool sharpening, both freehand and with a jig. I quite liked the unijig, but can't find anywhere that sells them. Lots of people seem to be making similar ones, so maybe I'll give that a go.

After that was bowl turning. We did a fairly simple bowl, but it was great to learn the techniques. Attached are some attrocious phone photos. It has pretty thik sides, but it was a learning experience and I'm quite happy with how it looks. Timber was 'Brazsillian Caramel Wood', whatever the heck that is - google doesn't seem to know either... Finish was with EEE/shellawax and came up pretty well. I also discovered that power sanding with the lathe running generates a helluva lot of dust!

All in all, very fun weekend. I'm now looking forward to making a bunch more bowls now that I've half a clue on how to make 'em :2tsup: Highly recommended way of learning to turn...

Cheers,
Dave

Alastair
3rd March 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Dave

As I mentioned at the meet, John was one of my teachers when I did the TAFE course a couple of years ago, and he is out of the top drawer. I had the benefit of his experience over 3 years.

Now you have had a taste, feel free to drop by my place if there is anything I can do to help you on your way.

Hornsby Woodturners will be meeting on Sat 14th from 11h00. Details and contacts are on the Sydney Woodturners Guild website, or PM me.

regards

RETIRED
3rd March 2009, 12:53 PM
Dave, I don't think the unijig is made any more but I have been road testing one called a Tru-Grind that operates the same way.
Very happy with it.

There web site is available here http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=12 and Carrolls sell them.

No affiliation etc etc.

Ed Reiss
3rd March 2009, 12:54 PM
Dave....you done the smart thing taking the course, and when you have a good instructor, which it seems yours was, the benefit outweighs trying to learn on your own by leaps and bounds. Your on your way:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
3rd March 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi,

He did pay a nice compliment to though - 'The only civilised Victorian I've ever met' :D:D:D

Cheers,
Dave

Must be a different to the one we know:D

jefferson
3rd March 2009, 07:36 PM
Must be a different to the one we know:D

You're damn right Jim, must be a different bloke.

The one I know shaves and has a haircut once a year, just before the big Show. In between, he wears funny hats. And he drinks more tea than most of India and likes to show off his turning wares at every opportunity. Yes, a real showman.

Damn fine bloke though and has taken many of us newbies under his wing. I suspect he is visiting here soon, so I better spread some dust and woodchips around and make out like I've been turning. (I still haven't cleaned up the "sprays" from his last visit either. Dunno what to do about that.)

Jeff

munruben
4th March 2009, 12:55 PM
Nice work Dave, congratulations. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
4th March 2009, 09:36 PM
Dave
I've done the same lesson at trend with John. I agree that he does a great job and is a fine instructor. Yep that container can get bloomin hot!
The sharpening jig he demonstrates is available from Trend. or was
I'm going to do another session with him, maybe in a few months, but this time I'm armed with a couple of stories from the benevolent dictator. The less said the better! :cool:

Ozkaban
5th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Dave
I've done the same lesson at trend with John. I agree that he does a great job and is a fine instructor. Yep that container can get bloomin hot!
The sharpening jig he demonstrates is available from Trend. or was
I'm going to do another session with him, maybe in a few months, but this time I'm armed with a couple of stories from the benevolent dictator. The less said the better! :cool:

Yeah, I think I'll be back for another dig in a year or so - gotta get some practice in first!

The real kicker of the grinding jigs is that when you're as good at free hand grinding as I am (ie, not at all...), the jig looks like an excellent way of avoiding grinding your chisels away, and actually cutting properly on the lathe. So naturally, you just gotta have it :rolleyes:. If it's available (unijig and heligrind don't seem to be) I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy it. I reckon I'll end up taking yonks and spending much more on bits trying to make one myself...

Cheers,
Dave

Alastair
5th March 2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I think I'll be back for another dig in a year or so - gotta get some practice in first!

The real kicker of the grinding jigs is that when you're as good at free hand grinding as I am (ie, not at all...), the jig looks like an excellent way of avoiding grinding your chisels away, and actually cutting properly on the lathe. So naturally, you just gotta have it :rolleyes:. If it's available (unijig and heligrind don't seem to be) I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy it. I reckon I'll end up taking yonks and spending much more on bits trying to make one myself...

Cheers,
Dave

Dave,

It's not as hard as you think.

Attached couple of pics of mine. You're welcome to come and stickybeak if you like.

regards

Gil Jones
5th March 2009, 09:41 AM
Dave,
Smart idea to take a turning class, and it seemed to rub off on you as you created a good looking bowl for starters. If you intend to build your own sharpening jig, send me your email address, and I will send you some plans to work from.

Ozkaban
5th March 2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks Alistair and Gil.

You're right - I shouldn't be lazy and should really build my own jig. Now I just gotta actually do it :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave